Is this Skinny Fat?

Options
Ladsel
Ladsel Posts: 10 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I keep hearing about people being Skinny Fat and just wanted to know who'd be classed as skinny fat.
This is a photo of me when i was 130 pounds.
I'm now 12 pounds heavier, but would like to get back down to that weight - but interested to know if i was "skinny fat".

Replies

• Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    is this a joke?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Ladsel wrote: »
    I keep hearing about people being Skinny Fat

I keep hearing from people that the world is going to end any day now but I generally disregard nonsensical rantings...

In answer to your question: no.
  • roxybeer
    roxybeer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You should've just posted your true intentions: "I wanted to post a photo of myself in my underwear so I can be validated. VALIDATE ME."

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Yo, check the community guidelines before posting underwear pictures.

12. No Profane, Vulgar, Sexually Explicit or Illegal Images

All images on the site, including all profile pictures and images posted in the forums, should be work-place friendly. While we reserve the right to remove any photo we feel is inappropriate, here are some partial guidelines as to what is not acceptable:

- no nudity
    - no underwear, thongs, g-strings, or banana hammocks
    - no pants or shorts worn mid-hip or below (no saggers)...
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat has nothing to do with your appearance. It's a derogatory term used to define someone who hasn't used any form of physical exercise while losing weight. Lean muscle mass is lost along with fat when weight is lost with caloric deficit and no fitness regimen is followed.
    Start a weight lifting regimen while you work on your calorie deficit and you'll have no worries.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »

All images on the site, including all profile pictures and images posted in the forums, should be work-place friendly. While we reserve the right to remove any photo we feel is inappropriate, here are some partial guidelines as to what is not acceptable:

- no nudity

and I suspect this young woman is not even 18 so we are going down a deep dark hole here...

reporting due to suspicions of under aged individual.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    roxybeer wrote: »
    You should've just posted your true intentions: "I wanted to post a photo of myself in my underwear so I can be validated. VALIDATE ME."

I'm afraid this is all I hear when I see these kind of posts too. That may be cynical of me, but I can't help it.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    leggup wrote: »

- no nudity

and I suspect this young woman is not even 18 so we are going down a deep dark hole here...

reporting due to suspicions of under aged individual.

I think you're probably right!
  • Ladsel
    Ladsel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've removed the photo,.... but it was just a valid question. :|
    I'm also over the age of 21.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Skinny fat has nothing to do with your appearance. It's a derogatory term used to define someone who hasn't used any form of physical exercise while losing weight. Lean muscle mass is lost along with fat when weight is lost with caloric deficit and no fitness regimen is followed.
    Start a weight lifting regimen while you work on your calorie deficit and you'll have no worries.

Why shouldn't being weak be something that opens people up to criticism in the same way that being overweight does?
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Skinny fat has nothing to do with your appearance. It's a derogatory term used to define someone who hasn't used any form of physical exercise while losing weight.

No, it isn’t.

This is good advice, however. Or lift weights without a calorie deficit, to maintain weight but lose fat.

Ladsel, you might be interested in the Skinny Fat to Fit group. Just be sure not to go underweight while trying to lose fat. If you gain muscle, you’ll tone up while maintaining a healthy weight.
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Is this a joke?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I miss all the good stuff.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Why shouldn't being weak be something that opens people up to criticism in the same way that being overweight does?

Because people don't deserve to be criticized in a derogatory fashion, period. Helpful feedback is one thing. Negative criticism is completely unnecessary, ever.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Skinny fat has nothing to do with your appearance. It's a derogatory term used to define someone who hasn't used any form of physical exercise while losing weight.

No, it isn’t.

This is good advice, however. Or lift weights without a calorie deficit, to maintain weight but lose fat.

Ladsel, you might be interested in the Skinny Fat to Fit group. Just be sure not to go underweight while trying to lose fat. If you gain muscle, you’ll tone up while maintaining a healthy weight.

Yes, it is. How isn't it a derogatory term?
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

No, it isn’t.

It's not derogatory term, it is merely a descriptive simplification of someone who has a high BF% and whilst having what is considered reasonable or lower body weight/muscle mass for their size, height.

You could go with the medical term for this is “MONW” or metabolically obese normal weight, but I think you would have to break down the acronym for the majority of the population.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

No, it isn’t.

because it refers to being within a normal BMI with a high percentage of body fat which still puts them at risk for obesity related health issues. Skinny Fat is another term for "Normal Weight Obesity" of which many studies have been done.
  • timtakel
    timtakel Posts: 50 Member
    Options

No it's not. Skinny fat is a term used for people with an BMI that is ok, but with a percentage of body fat, that is way to high, resulting in the same effects than being overweight. That has nothing to do with weight loss, it can happen to everyone.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

No, it isn’t.

because it refers to being within a normal BMI with a high percentage of body fat which still puts them at risk for obesity related health issues. Skinny Fat is another term for "Normal Weight Obesity" of which many studies have been done.

So call someone 'normal weight obese' then. Calling an overweight or obese person 'fat' is derogatory. Calling someone 'skinny fat' then, would be derogatory... follow me?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

No, it isn’t.

So call someone 'normal weight obese' then. Calling an overweight or obese person 'fat' is derogatory. Calling someone 'skinny fat' then, would be derogatory... follow me?

Only because you make it derogatory. Being fat is what it is. Being skinny fat is what it is. It's just like being tall, short, blue eyed, etc. It is only derogatory if you choose to believe being fat is inherently bad and therefore a negative thing to say instead of a descriptor.

I'm assuming you think being called "fat" is akin to someone calling you "lazy, slob, dirty, disgusting, no self-control, no self-respect, bad" etc. If those are the feelings that you associate with being fat, then i suggest you take a long hard look at it. That's your own perception.

Being fat is simply an attribute that results from someone eating too many calories repeatedly overtime. That's all.