New to MFP

Options
Hi All,
So, I just joined after seeing a FB friend on here. So far, and it's only been two days now, I like it, I like seeing the numbers so to speak and I have had success with food diaries in the past because I won't eat things sometimes because I do not feel like writing it down. :) I am a graduate student though and a mother of 2, who works part time as well. So, my busy life makes it difficult to stay on track, I am hoping this will help keep me on track!
Katy

Replies

• JayneWilson1963
    JayneWilson1963 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. It's a great place to be. Lots of support and motivation here. You can do this, stay focused on the end results. I have lost 87 pounds in 10 months with the help of MFP and my wonderful friends here. Feel free to add me as a friend, we can help support and motivate each other. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • progressisbeautiful
    progressisbeautiful Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Katy,

I have only been introduced to MFP for a little over a month and really been having fun with it. The tool that shows you how much weight you would lose when you close out a day is really exciting. The main thing I wanted to say to you is in relation to your busy schedule. I can understand. I am a mother of four, i'm in school and do freelance work when I can. My good food days are the days I really have a plan. It's the days I have the kids in bed by 8pm. Sometimes I just tell them to go to their room and that they are no longer allowed to talk to me. That may sound mean to some, but I have twin 6 year olds, a 7 year old and a 7 month old. And if I don't set some strong boundaries for those older Divas, I'll be tending to their needs and questions all night. Time for myself has to be cherished because it is necessary. I have learned that I have to act like not taking that time on a consistent basis is like giving someone a million dollars I don't have. After 8 pm every night is when I actually prepare my lunch and snacks to eat between the hours of 10 am - 6 pm. And by prepare, I mean that the night before I actually pack a bag and take it with me. The older girls prepare their lunches and snacks and get their bookbags by the front door before they go to bed. I do really well when I'm able to graze on food all day. Half a sandwich here, an apple there. And I take water in a jug to refill my water bottle. Then I put all of this in a cooler by the front door. In the morning, all I have to do is refresh the ice pack and go. My honeybunch has been so encouraged by this new routine that he actually asks for me to set him up with my "diet food coolers" and he actually never eats everything I pack. Obviously I'm the greedy one because I eat everything in my cooler. Anyway, I didn't realize I was gonna type this much. I just wanted to share what happens on my good days and tell you that I feel your pain.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Welcome Katy, I'm glad you like it so far. My advice, don't get discouraged by bad days. EVERYONE has them. You don't need to give up a little junk food once in a while but if you are going to eat it, make sure you use good self control, and make room for it in your log with some extra exercise. Everything in moderation, even chocolate. :) Let me know if you have any questions! :)
  • katy4193
    katy4193 Posts: 44
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I find that if I have to account for what I am eating, I eat smarter! I am also more motivated to go to the gym or get on the elliptical at my house. I am really liking this so far! :)