Stevia

Options
13»

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    paxbfl wrote: »
    Sugar and other so-called "simple carbs" like pasta and white bread can cause a glycemic response in your body. Your blood sugar goes up, your body releases insulin, and your blood sugar crashes. When it crashes you feel tired and crave sugar to bring your blood sugar back up again. Obviously everyone is different but this definitely happens to me. I call it the "Sugar roller coaster". Once I start eating sugar I find myself craving it all day long.

So yes, it's calories in and calories out but avoiding sugar makes it easier for me to eat fewer calories - and I feel better too, more consistent energy throughout the day. Eating smaller, more frequent meals helps too - since larger meals have a greater glycemic response (why you may feel tired after a large meal).

Stevia is ok. I agree that it's a lot stronger than sugar. Due the cost and the taste I use Splenda, but I try to limit it since it's an artificial sweetener and I wonder if all the health effects are fully understood just yet.

no, this is not accurate. Sugar gets demonized all the time, which is unfortunate. Eating a regular diet of regular food, will not cause this 'sugar crash' to happen. Putting a teaspoon or two of sugar in a cup of coffee or a bowl of oatmeal is not enough to cause any type of sugar spike or sugar 'crash'. Also, a teaspoon of sugar is 16 calories. Pretty simple to fit into any calorie goal.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I use stevia sparingly because it does taste different. I cannot handle it in hot drinks, only cold ones like iced tea. However, what I do use is monk fruit as it does not have an aftertaste to me. I use it primarily for iced tea and coffee. I also use a product called Sugavida (look it up). It tastes great and has a molasses/brown sugar, caramely back flavor that makes it perfect for sweetening coffee. It is derived from plants and has b vitamins in it AND it does not spike your blood sugar in any way. Sugavida is a bit expensive but a little goes a long way. I ordered it on Amazon before but now my local HEB grocery store carries it.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    As per your 1st paragraph, that's just not true.

So what are you saying? That there's no such thing as Glycemic Index, and all foods affect blood sugar the same way? That's definitely not true. Here's more info that explains it better than I did.

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/glycemic-index-good-versus-bad-carbs

The logic of this syncs up with eating "whole foods" too, since many processed foods have tons of added sugar and enriched flours.

I accept that different people are affected to different degrees. What I wrote is how I feel personally - when I eat a lot of simple carbs I feel very sluggish a while after, and I find myself craving sugar to sort of "pick myself up". Similarly, if I eat 3 larger meals I feel tired and tend to snack between meals.

So yeah... calories in, calories out. I could eat all my calories for the day in one large meal with pancakes, syrup and powdered sugar and stay under my goal if I didn't eat the rest of the day. But I would be tired, cranky and very hungry all day long - and very unlikely to stay consistent or successful over the long-term.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    As per your 1st paragraph, that's just not true.

So what are you saying? That there's no such thing as Glycemic Index, and all foods affect blood sugar the same way? That's definitely not true. Here's more info that explains it better than I did.

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/glycemic-index-good-versus-bad-carbs

The logic of this syncs up with eating "whole foods" too, since many processed foods have tons of added sugar and enriched flours.

I accept that different people are affected to different degrees. What I wrote is how I feel personally - when I eat a lot of simple carbs I feel very sluggish a while after, and I find myself craving sugar to sort of "pick myself up". Similarly, if I eat 3 larger meals I feel tired and tend to snack between meals.

So yeah... calories in, calories out. I could eat all my calories for the day in one large meal with pancakes, syrup and powdered sugar and stay under my goal if I didn't eat the rest of the day. But I would be tired, cranky and very hungry all day long - and very unlikely to stay consistent or successful over the long-term.

This might just be a matter of getting to know your body and what it needs. Often the brain's signals are misunderstood - thirst gets misinterpreted as hunger, and a craving for sugar can often mean the body needs salt.
    And eating all of your calories in pancakes, syrup and powdered sugar doesn't fit the meaning of moderation at all. Or meeting your macronutrient needs. You wouldn't feel very good because your body needs protein and fats, not just carbs.
    You can't demonize sugar by saying "if I only ate sugar, I wouldn't feel good", because that's not realistic. People don't eat that way.
  • oldcargirl62
    oldcargirl62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I find this discussion interesting but from a different angle. I have never understood why people add sweeteners to so many foods at all. I know we aren't all the same but if sugar wasn't shoved into children at a high rate bad habits and overdoing it wouldn't be such an issue.

I am fortunate to not have a sweet tooth and appreciate the flavor of the food, rather than the flavor of sweet. My mom didn't use sugary food as a pacifier.

Being a label reader (plus I can taste it) I've been very disappointed in so called healthy foods and specialty stores that often has MORE added sweeteners than old stand bys (esp organic frozen entrees, chili, etc)

Is tea really that nasty without covering it up with sugar? I love oatmeal, not a bowl of sugary mush. Does ketchup or salad dressing really need sweetener? Aren't waffles or toast tasty without syrup or jam? Everything from pizza to cole slaw, seems to have added sugar, why? Is food that disgusting? Try water infused with just fruit and no extra sweetener.

I think I understand the OP's original thoughts that adding 'sugar' (corn syrup, whatever) to seemingly everything has the potential to be unhealthy. But even no cal options like Stevia lead people's taste into expecting everything to lean toward sweet. I don't agree with adding ANY sweetener to most foods, it's a crutch and to give so much to small children is unconscionable.

People are free to ingest what they want, I choose not to waste my intake on uneccessary sweeteners and to taste the food I have chosen.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Sugar and other so-called "simple carbs" like pasta and white bread can cause a glycemic response in your body. Your blood sugar goes up, your body releases insulin, and your blood sugar crashes. When it crashes you feel tired and crave sugar to bring your blood sugar back up again. Obviously everyone is different but this definitely happens to me. I call it the "Sugar roller coaster". Once I start eating sugar I find myself craving it all day long.

So yes, it's calories in and calories out but avoiding sugar makes it easier for me to eat fewer calories - and I feel better too, more consistent energy throughout the day. Eating smaller, more frequent meals helps too - since larger meals have a greater glycemic response (why you may feel tired after a large meal).

Stevia is ok. I agree that it's a lot stronger than sugar. Due the cost and the taste I use Splenda, but I try to limit it since it's an artificial sweetener and I wonder if all the health effects are fully understood just yet.

Pasta and white bread aren't simple carbs and unless you've got some medical condition your blood sugar shouldn't "crash". Insulin is there to regulate it in normal levels.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Without putting any effort into it, sugar is often my lowest macro - I very seldom max out on the recommended MFP allowance (not that I am a big believer in that allowance, it just happens to be there, I ignore it). I am not trying to limit sugar, I just find that I reach for savory more than sweet as a preference.

I purchased some Equal Sweetener powder yesterday simply because I am getting creative with some overnight oats recipes and I feel that unlike most things I like - oatmeal seems to need a bit of extra sweetness and I am sticking to a very tight calorie limit so every bit counts. If it was not for the numbers, I would go with regular sugar.

I gave up having sugar in my coffee because I drink a lot and the calories add up, not because I think that sugar is of the devil.

I do however feel that the crazy low-fat diet craze of the nineties led to the creation of a lot of revolting over-sweetened low fat foods and I would love to see them go away for the sake of my taste buds - yogurt for example - so sweet you can gag but with a grainy fat free texture. Put the fat back and take out some of that sugar folks - it is time!

I wondered about getting Stevia, but I had heard about the after taste. I am sure I will try it at some point in the name of experimentation.

For me, eating at 1200, the numbers are everything and I am a fan of every calorie saver I can get my mitts on.
  • agirlcalledrinn
    agirlcalledrinn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    As someone allergic to it, I've learned a lot about Stevia's negative side the hard way. There are things people should know before using Stevia.

Stevia interacts with several medications for blood pressure, diabetes (additionally, stevia doesn't support glycogen synthesis, which can cause additional issues for diabetics) and mental disorders (those who take Lithium should avoid Stevia especially). As with any herbal supplement, you should speak with your doctor if you are currently taking medications before use.

Stevia has been known to occasionally cause anaphylaxis, but this is more common in those that already have an allergy to chrysanthemums, marigolds, ragweed or daisies. Ragweed allergy is often referred to as "hayfever". If you have hayfever, it is likely you will be allergic to Stevia. Avoid it, or try at your own risk with a big bottle of benadryl nearby.

Stevia is known to cause digestive discomfort, and should be avoided by those with IBS, Crohns and related issues. There are some connections to liver and kidney issues, but there is not enough data yet. Overdosing on Stevia can seriously affect your body's ability to properly absorb carbohydrates, which sounds good if you don't understand biochemistry, but in reality is very, very bad. If you feel sluggish while using Stevia, cut back, as this is likely your issue.

Many people experience dizziness, body aches, and even numbness.

Stevia, like soy, is linked to hormonal issues, and should be avoided by those on hormonal therapies.

The Truvia brand of Stevia, however, makes a great pesticide when used on fruit flies. It starves them more thoroughly than NutraSweet, Equal, or Splenda, and has a 100% kill rate. They're starting to explore how it can be used. This is not due to the plant, but the alcohol they combine it with.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    ClaudePou wrote: »
    ClaudePou wrote: »
    It is a bit long to explain and a Dietitian can probably explain it well but sugar turns to fat easily.

Actually, it almost never turns to fat.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/74/6/707.full

That is great. Thanks. I can now take 10 to 15 spoon full of sugar while eating my normal meal and not gain a pound. We should have someone try this.

If you are not eating in a surplus, you won't. If the extra sugar puts you in a surplus you will store fat, but it won't be the sugar that's stored.

Here’s what happens with excess calories. Assume that all three conditions represent identical increases in caloric intake, just from each of the different macros. Here’s what happens mechanistically and why all three still make you fat:

1. Excess dietary fat is directly stored as fat
    2. Excess dietary carbs increases carb oxidation, impairing fat oxidation; more of your daily fat intake is stored as fat
    3.Excess dietary protein increases protein oxidation, impairing fat oxidation; more of your daily fat intake is stored as fat

Got it? All three situations make you fat, just through different mechanisms. Fat is directly stored and carbs and protein cause you to store the fat you’re eating by decreasing fat oxidation.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html/

• ClaudePou
    ClaudePou Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the information and opinion about Stevia and sugar.
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Sugar can add fat to your liver with metabolic diseases like NAFLD which is fatty liver disease. Stevia is not supposed to add anything to this condition.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Stevia is great. It tastes great as long as you don't use too much, has zero calories, and is natural. And a tiny bottle lasts for months and months. I've been using it for quite a while.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options

If you're not diabetic, your body shouldn't have a problem handling those simple-carbs. I'm diabetic so I do, but I still do eat pasta and other simple carbs, I just enjoy them in moderation. I eat to my meter, as most diabetics would say. If I want pasta and I know that I can safely have 45 or 60 grams of carbohydrate at dinner and still have normal glucose readings after two hours then I'll have it.

I personally use Splenda because that is what my husband can tolerate. I find it to be extremely sweet, so a half of a packet is more than enough in a 16 ounce coffee for me. It's really not a 1:1 correlation in how you use it in baking either. I made that mistake and ruined a whole batch of chocolate chip cookies. :'(

• ClaudePou
    ClaudePou Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I made that mistake and ruined a whole batch of chocolate chip cookies. :'(

lol, My sister did the same. She made a carrot cake with too much of it and nobody wanted to eat it. We were all laughing like crazy.