educational and inspiring documentaries on Netflix streaming.

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Snort!! Snort!! LOL
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Ew no. These "documentaries" (and I'm using that term loosely here) are not worth the time it takes to read their synopses.
    Rather, check out actual science.

"Mockumentaries"

Snort!

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed Super Size Me. The fast food and his body's reaction thoroughly grossed me out.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    I enjoyed Super Size Me. The fast food and his body's reaction thoroughly grossed me out.

I liked it too when it released, but I liked the rebuttal "Fat Head" a lot more, most of it anyway.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thought it was ok at the time...and then got the background story and won't watch anymore Spurlock anything because he flat out lies.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Only these films are the reasons I enjoy the "can't be viewed in your country" distribution malarkey. I went to watch Hungry For Change just to see what it was about, but The Very Hungry Caterpilar showed up in the search box so I watched that instead.
    This made me laugh! I think we can all relate to The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I didn't even know it was on Netflix! o that's this evenings viewing sorted!
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Well geez.they helped me.I thought maybe they would help others.I was wrong
    How do they help you? Do you juice, eat vegan, avoid sugar and lobby your gov't?
    Or is it just the topic of diet, and the profiles done on various people is what does it for you?

If the latter I can kind of get that, I enjoy shows about gastic bypass despite not really agreeing with the method nor am I moved by much of the messages, really, but I still get something out of the profiles on patients, their documented struggles pre and post op, their transformations, etc.

I think this sums up well what a lot of people enjoy about 'mockumentaries', especially health/diet/etc related ones. Or I know it does for me personally anyway. I enjoy seeing people in a much more dire situation than me kick a habit and lose weight. It's not for any 'advice' or anything scientific, I know what works and what will work for me; CICO, counting calories, exercising etc. But it's the nature of seeing someone succeed when it seemed completely hopeless that can be great motivation. If someone who has been obese most of their life and weights twice as much as me can get healthy, then of course I can!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Bigger,stronger,faster.

REALLY enjoyed that one!

Hell yeah.that dude with the massive bicepts and the heavy Brooklyn accent was hilarious
    Greg Valentino. He writes funny stuff for Muscular Development, including how creatine has caused him to have many accidents in public toilets and in his own car.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Mizz_Mo
    Mizz_Mo Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Watching these doesn't hurt - but as I found when I posted about watching Fed Up - there is always another side to the coin. The responses I received that gave me more information were a great help and added to the big picture. Those that just discounted everything about the movie - well, not so much.

Use the information from each movie as a jumping off point and do a little digging on each subject. You will find pros and cons as well as other truths on each subject. But don't get discouraged by the naysayers on here. It's great you are on a quest to find out about food, medicine and the impacts of where our food comes from!!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

all I wanted to do after watching supersize me was to eat a Big Mac. I guess it didn't really do anything for me.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    And Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead got me making smoothies - a great way to feed the picky kids. Can't say I approved of the weight loss plan but it got me started on more adventurous smoothies.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Adding 'em all. Can't be worse than some of the stuff I've watched on Netflix. I remember the one about the world traveling smoothie guy. I've definitely made some smoothies in my life before and after that, but mostly it was just nice to watch someone take charge of their life, get healthier, inspire people etc etc. I like shows like that even though I won't necessarily copy and paste everything they're doing to a T. Same thing basically with reading MFP forums or having MFPals, I think
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options

But the movie is in no way about "fast food" it is actually about the consequences of not taking responsibility for ones choices.

People forget that the driving premise was him surrendering the option to not eat everything offered to him.

The fact is if you replicated his process but instead of stipulating that you HAVE to eat what's offered you exercised moderation do you think you would see anything like his results? McDs is hardly the best possible source of nutrition but you could eat every meal at the place for a year and still be perfectly healthy. If you do what I assume you already do and exercised some self determination.

On the other hand if you duplicated his process at Whole Foods and simply ate everything offered to you every day would you expect a significantly different outcome?
  • Drewlssix
    Options

Thought it was ok at the time...and then got the background story and won't watch anymore Spurlock anything because he flat out lies.

I never looked into the guy, but I could smell the malarkey instantly. Like I posted earlier the premise is not "fast food is bad" it's "this is what happens when you eat everything in front of you".

The execution is deceptive but even taken at its word the "documentary" is about choosing to over eat, not eating any particular food.
  • Drewlssix
    Options
    Well geez.they helped me.I thought maybe they would help others.I was wrong

The problem with these documentaries is that they are extremely biased, and they are all pushing some agenda. And then the filmmakers sensationalize everything in them even more so that people will watch them.

The "science" in them is extremely shaky, at best.

So its mostly bs? Like the way animals are treated in food Inc and the fact that they add pink die to meat?I just wanna know what is true

Well it's those very details that are used to muddy the waters and give people little more than emotional reactions to go on.

The way animals are treated in that movie is simply not accurate. The makers take the few accounts of abuse and cruelty hat do happen ( and should be addressed but instead are debased as sensationalist filler to pad bank accounts) and either imply or outright accuse the rest of the industry of the same acts.

Stories about dye and various fillers or preservatives for processed food are presented wildly out of context or outright lied about. Your mother used food dye in your birthday cake, so what? So what if there's pink dye or "goo" in your burger? Is it an image meant to illicit an emotional reaction or something that poses a problem?

I read an "article" about why rawhide bones would kill my dogs because they are poison. Atleast that's what the title promised. The story never actually made that point. The author even sourced statements from animal vets, but those statements amounted to.... Nothing. I'm sure they were truthful but they offered no information relevant to the original statement. They were simply warnings that a dog can choke on a splinter and that rawHIDE bones are in fact made out of animal hide, not animal muscle... Because according to the author that is somehow a common misconception and it also somehow matters. Along with the "disturbing fact that animal hide is often used to make leather. The implication being that something that can be made into leather can not be consumed instead. It's not like we eat the skin of other animals right?

The balance of the story was a description of the unappetizing method of production of the treats. Yeah, cutting up animals is gross. But that dosent make the results unhealthy.

When you hew through the emotional filler of pretty much all these bogus documentaries you get down to at best a very simple idea with some merit. Don't eat ALL the McDonalds, making food from animals can be icky, deal with it... Or don't. It really has no bearing on how fat you are. Abusing animals is bad... So let's address that instead of making the issue out to be insurmountable and casting the people you need to talk to as implacable evil foes. Don't drink impossible amounts of soda over your entire lifespan or you will have a statistically minute chance of contracting cancer... Mebe.

If something like this leaves you feeling outraged but you walk away without usable knowledge on the subject, be suspicious.
  • weinman2015
    weinman2015 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bigger,stronger,faster.

REALLY enjoyed that one!

Hell yeah.that dude with the massive bicepts and the heavy Brooklyn accent was hilarious
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Bigger,stronger,faster.

REALLY enjoyed that one!

Ooh. Missed that one in the list. I agree - it was very good.

And yes, some of the others are sensationalized or poorly sourced or focused on selling a product, but in a way I feel like almost anything that can get people to consider making a change isn't all bad as long as they are open to better information as they go along.

"Bigger, Stronger, Faster" is just plain good, though - it's a fascinating look at steroid use, but it touches on topics like how you define success and health, and the influence of families and coaches even as early as high school. I think it's worth watching for anyone regardless of whether you've ever been involved with the world of competitive athletics.
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Adding 'em all. Can't be worse than some of the stuff I've watched on Netflix. I remember the one about the world traveling smoothie guy. I've definitely made some smoothies in my life before and after that, but mostly it was just nice to watch someone take charge of their life, get healthier, inspire people etc etc. I like shows like that even though I won't necessarily copy and paste everything they're doing to a T. Same thing basically with reading MFP forums or having MFPals, I think
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

• weinman2015
    weinman2015 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Tons of good feedback here everybody.I have been reading it all and I have learned a thing or two.thank you all
  • IsabelleK88
    IsabelleK88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't really watch documentaries I'm more of a book person but hey to each their own. Nothing wrong with watching something.thanks for sharing.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »

But the movie is in no way about "fast food" it is actually about the consequences of not taking responsibility for ones choices.

People forget that the driving premise was him surrendering the option to not eat everything offered to him.

The fact is if you replicated his process but instead of stipulating that you HAVE to eat what's offered you exercised moderation do you think you would see anything like his results? McDs is hardly the best possible source of nutrition but you could eat every meal at the place for a year and still be perfectly healthy. If you do what I assume you already do and exercised some self determination.

On the other hand if you duplicated his process at Whole Foods and simply ate everything offered to you every day would you expect a significantly different outcome?

You honestly believe that?
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I just got The Perfect Human Diet from a from the library. Haven't watched it yet. Any opinions on it?
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Bite Size was pretty interesting. I think it did a pretty good job of telling the story of some kids that are dealing with obesity without trying to sell a product or push an agenda. The rest of them are more like 2 hour infomercials, especially Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »

You honestly believe that?

I do, if you control your macro's and caloric intake.

I mean, a teacher from Iowa did it. Granted that was 6 months, but he dropped 60 lbs.