trying to get started

Options
My name is Bobby. I am 33 years old, 6'1" 233 lbs. I'm a stay at home dad, 4 kids in the house and 2 more on weekends, ages from 3 to 16. I stay pretty busy, but not fitness busy. I smoked for almost 23 years, March 5th 2015 was my last cigarette. I promptly gained 15 lbs, hit 244, a lifetime hi for me. So I gave up soda, and in 2 months lost most of that. I don't feel like that's enough though. So we are trying to gear ourselves to a healthier lifestyle, I bought a kayak 2 weeks ago and have been out for 2 hours every day since. I am now having trouble getting enough calories, today I'm about 1200 off. I really wanna go to some more kayaking, but that will just make the problem worse, I really thought I had eaten plenty, until I entered everything in today. Today is the first day I've actually done this calorie counting app. So what do I do with out pigging out?? Also I was diagnosed with hashimoto's 6 months ago.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Way to recognize. You've got this.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    chewbacakz wrote: »
    I am 33 years old, 6'1" 233 lbs. I am now having trouble getting enough calories, today I'm about 1200 off. Today is the first day I've actually done this calorie counting app. So what do I do with out pigging out?

Also I was diagnosed with hashimoto's 6 months ago.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I lost the weight and have maintained for a year by following the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Food is fuel, and we should all be looking for the maximum number of calories at which we lose weight—never the minimum. Undereating will not get you to goal any more quickly. In fact, it usually leads to bingeing.

Learning to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly will make you mindful, keep you accountable, and help you make better choices. Logging works.

It's fine to be under (or even over) your goal occasionally. All that matters is your weekly nutrition. (It's easier to see in the app.)
  • chewbacakz
    chewbacakz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the reply and for the welcome!!!! Editorgrrl I did not intentionally under eat, I have just been trying to lose weight and have been scared I've been over eating. My wife got me to start using this app, and I seen that I was wau under. So today I'm approaching it a little different. I will keep track of everything and be mindful, I'm ready for a change and my kids deserve it. I've been to lazy for to long, ready to be Mr.Active Father!!!
    I'm glad to see someone here with hashimoto's, and success!!!! That is motivating!!!! My has his is active so they keep raising the strength of my medication, but the past month I have felt great, so I'm feeling hopefully they got it now!!! Plus I've started eating better, and quit drink soda, and actually started drinking water, hahaha
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    chewbacakz wrote: »
    I'm glad to see someone here with hashimoto's, and success!!!! That is motivating!!!! My Hashi's is active so they keep raising the strength of my medication, but the past month I have felt great, so I'm feeling hopefully they got it now!

Everybody's different, but it took two years of ever-increasing doses before my thyroid levels entered the "normal" range.

You have three options:
    • Synthroid (levothyroxine), which is synthetic T4,
    • Synthroid + Cytomel (liothyronine), which is synthetic T3, or
    • desiccated pig (or pig + cow) thyroid glands.

It'll take trial & error to find what works for you.