Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Low Calorie Hacks

Hi all my names dean I have lost over 16stone all through diet and exercise, I wanted to see who has them secret low calorie hacks we all love.
I have a few that I do most days along with my pretty clean eating; sugar free jelly is one of these things I usually have and I normally have two pints at a time, it's a great filler and even more its under 80cals. Another is zero fat fromage fais (tesco is the lowest calorie) or zero fat Greek yogurt I usually have these mixed with some zero cal myprotein Flavdrops and they're amazing! I have zoats everyday without fail I mix one grated courgette with half a cup of oats and one third coconut milk this has cut my oats but kept the same amount, I also add flavdrops to this too... Trust me it's amazing. And finally one of my favourite things is cauliflower rice! So so good it's unreal and well it's a cauliflower.
Please if you have similar Hack let's all share!?
Feel free to add me also I would love to have more friends on here thanks

Replies

• kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Nice job! I don't really have many 'hacks', unless you count water instead of milk in oats and almond milk instead of 1% milk.
    Curious about the zoats though, do they taste funny? Do you eat them plain or with some kind of sweetener? I normally have porridge oats with jam or chocolate spread to sweeten it.
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Hi Dean, great job!! You mention many things I've never even heard of! lol.

I don't have many interesting hacks but I do like no or low fat cottage cheese for protein boost. 1 Tbsp ground flax added to almost anything for fiber boost.

I found a Renee's Fat Free Caesar dressing that has 5 cals per tbsp!
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    I love skim milk with this chocolate mix I found. It's like 60 cals for a cup full (mainly from the milk), it's super duper chocolatey and kills the cravings. Dairy fills me up really well so I found it works great (one square of chocolate is not enough dammit!) and the fact you sip it rather than three chews and it's gone means I get to put tasty food in my mouth for 20 minutes rather than 20 seconds haha. It's the only time so far, that I would rather drink my calories.

I have started to look into other low calorie options too, the jelly seems like a good idea... I want value for points and it seems like a good start.
  • dpurzer
    dpurzer Posts: 17 Member
    edited July 2015
    Hey Dean, awesome topic!

Fat free cottage cheese on Pumpernickel is my power-fill hack.
    Unsalted rice cake for destroying the crunchy-crave...
    Soup soup soup; personally I could eat soup for every meal: Traditional Andalusian gazpacho is great during these hot summer months.
    Homemade chia puddings for sweet tooth moments.
  • dc1arkson
    dc1arkson Posts: 142 Member
    kazminchu wrote: »
    Nice job! I don't really have many 'hacks', unless you count water instead of milk in oats and almond milk instead of 1% milk.
    Curious about the zoats though, do they taste funny? Do you eat them plain or with some kind of sweetener? I normally have porridge oats with jam or chocolate spread to sweeten it.

Zoats are amazing cause the courgette takes on the taste so the Flavdrops I use sweeten it at no extra calorie adage, also some times use the sugar free Myprotein syrup butterscotch flavour as one huge bottle is only 16cals it's great!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Flavdrops are ace.

I have the banana ones in coffee. Sounds weird but tastes great.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I actually don't do purposeful "low calorie" foods. I don't eliminate sugar or fats from my diet as I don't have a medical issue that would require me to.

however I do love greek yogurt and right now fresh cherries and pepperoni sticks, egg salad sandwiches on thick olive oil bread with avocado...bacon...
  • heyyoutoo
    heyyoutoo Posts: 12 Member
    Unsweetened vanilla almond milk with zero calorie chocolate drops, 60 calories per cup. I also second the sugar-free Jello, 10 calories. Sugar-free popcicles have 15 calories. I love the popcicles after a run.
  • dc1arkson
    i61fpw7ev2vv.jpg

This is also another Low cal hack I found this is so amazing with any kind of milk soya/almond/coconut or even just skimmed, it comes out like a frappé but is under 50cals. I ask for this in Starbucks and Costa and it's amazing! 7fc9ai55clv0.jpg
  • dc1arkson
    cityruss wrote: »
    Flavdrops are ace.

I have the banana ones in coffee. Sounds weird but tastes great.

Ah mate banana ones in coffee and fat free yogurt are amazing!
  • dc1arkson
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I actually don't do purposeful "low calorie" foods. I don't eliminate sugar or fats from my diet as I don't have a medical issue that would require me to.

however I do love greek yogurt and right now fresh cherries and pepperoni sticks, egg salad sandwiches on thick olive oil bread with avocado...bacon...

Ah very good!
  • dc1arkson
    heyyoutoo wrote: »
    Unsweetened vanilla almond milk with zero calorie chocolate drops, 60 calories per cup. I also second the sugar-free Jello, 10 calories. Sugar-free popcicles have 15 calories. I love the popcicles after a run.

Need to try that chocolate milk! I have just got some chocolate flavdrops, ty!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    You've lost over 16 stone? That's 224lbs, wow! When I started out I weighed 15st/211lbs, so you've lost a whole me plus more! Amazing job, well done :)
    As for low cal 'hacks', I like cherry tomatoes. I add salt to them so they're the perfect mix of sweet and salty, and really low calorie. Plus if they go soft and yucky I can just make pasta sauce out of them! I also second sugar free jelly, since it's hardly any calories at all and quite filling. I love making it with half diet lemonade, because then you get fizzy jelly for just a few calories more - plus adding fruit makes it even better.
  • dc1arkson
    You've lost over 16 stone? That's 224lbs, wow! When I started out I weighed 15st/211lbs, so you've lost a whole me plus more! Amazing job, well done :)
    As for low cal 'hacks', I like cherry tomatoes. I add salt to them so they're the perfect mix of sweet and salty, and really low calorie. Plus if they go soft and yucky I can just make pasta sauce out of them! I also second sugar free jelly, since it's hardly any calories at all and quite filling. I love making it with half diet lemonade, because then you get fizzy jelly for just a few calories more - plus adding fruit makes it even better.

Thank you! 237lbs is what I have lost to date. Love the sound of the tomato idea
  • belle_reve9
    belle_reve9 Posts: 1,099 Member
    Flavdrops?? That sounds interesting.
    Dean! Great job on the weight loss. You look great.
    This isn't that extraordinary, but I like to mix up a couple of tablespoons of PB2 and dip whatever is around into it! Animal crackers, apples, graham crackers. I feel like I can eat all the PB I want (to an extent) and not have to feel bad about it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I am a pasta lover so I switched to Fiber Gourmet pasta, which has 1/2 the calories of regular, but is still pasta.
    That's about the only hack I have.

Most of my dairy is either reduced fat or fat free, and I sometimes use artificial sweeteners, if those count as hacks.

What are theses flavdrops you speak of? I must google that.
  • dc1arkson
    Flavdrops?? That sounds interesting.
    Dean! Great job on the weight loss. You look great.
    This isn't that extraordinary, but I like to mix up a couple of tablespoons of PB2 and dip whatever is around into it! Animal crackers, apples, graham crackers. I feel like I can eat all the PB I want (to an extent) and not have to feel bad about it.

http://m.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/flavdrops/10530471.html my favourite is maple and the banana at the moment! I really need to look up PB2 ty!
  • belle_reve9
    belle_reve9 Posts: 1,099 Member
    http://m.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/flavdrops/10530471.html my favourite is maple and the banana at the moment! I really need to look up PB2 ty! [/quote]

I'd like to try those!!! PB2 is amazing!! Mix a little water with the powder, tastes just like Peanut butter. But with only 45 calories for 2 tablespoons.
  • aprtut564
    aprtut564 Posts: 1 Member
    Best one have is ZOODLES!!
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/10/vegetable-noodles-are-going-to-change-everything_n_5112928.html
    I love using zucchini as my zoodles (or use spaghetti squash!) and top with thick pasta (meat) sauce on it.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    -Squash (zucchini, spaghetti squash, crookneck) with bolognese sauce instead of noodles
    -salsa/pico de gallo instead of salad dressing
    -Lately I've been wanting nachos so I've been heating up chicken, beans, and cheese and having it over half a serving of tortilla chips on a bed of lettuce

I haven't made jello in a long time and I know I have a box of sugar free lurking in my cabinet--maybe I'll make that for my next sweet craving.