Question for runners

Options
Do you remove callouses on your feet, if you have them? Or do they protect your feet from friction?

I ask because I have some callouses on my big toe and heel, and they aren't pretty, but whenever I remove them my feet are so much more tender... :D

Replies

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I've never removed callouses from my feet.
  • annaheyoolay
    annaheyoolay Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You can file them down a bit to smooth them but don't remove them completely. If you go somewhere to get a pedicure let the technician know you're a runner and they should know what to do.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I don't remove mine. They aren't pretty but they aren't hurting anything either....of course I never claimed to have good looking feet anyway......
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    You can file them down a bit to smooth them but don't remove them completely. If you go somewhere to get a pedicure let the technician know you're a runner and they should know what to do.

This is what I do. In particular, the callouses on my big toes and under the ball of my big toe are absolutely necessary for running. I made the mistake once of getting rid of all my callouses and I really regretted it on my next several runs.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have a pumice stone that I use on my feet when I take a shower. I scrub at the area around my heel pretty well and give a couple of seconds to the calluses on the ball of my foot, the pad of my big toe and the end of my middle toe. It keeps them from getting out of control without removing them entirely. On the occasions that I get a pedicure I always let them know that I'm a runner and that means two things: 1) I need my toenails cut really short and 2) don't work very much on my calluses.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything but do occasionally get pedicures and they file them down quite a bit. It's never bothered me. But, I don't have particularly tender feet either.