Is this enough exercise a week to lose weight?

Options
I go to the gym 6 days a week and its usually for 60 mins. Mostly cardio with some weight training. I need to lose 60+ lbs. I do all the classes like Zumba, Body Pump, Grit, Step and Strength, etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Fgs read the stickies. It's so clear that you haven't... they're there for a reason. Here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177910/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

Go read those. All of them.

Weight loss comes from a caloric deficit.

Exercise is for fitness.

Read.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Weight loss will come from your calorie deficit. Exercise is great and if you are enjoying your workouts then that's fabulous. As long as you are burning more calories than you are consuming you will loose weight so diet will always come first.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you're eating at a deficit, then yes...it's enough; but you can't outrun a bad diet....
  • benfranklin564
    benfranklin564 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are into being lazy and want to lose weight while on a more streamlined diet then by all means, keep yourself in a deficit. But if you want more "freedom" you should workout mostly with weights to build some muscle tissue in order to burn more calories when sedentary, allowing you to not have to starve yourself to lose weight and also to look better after you have lost 60lbs. I would do 4 1-1.5hr weight training sessions + 4 40min cardio sessions per week either fasted in the morning or post workout.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great and very beneficial, but you lose weight by eating less. There is no correct answer to your question because we don't know what you eat. You might want to make your diary public.
  • dontgiveup2319
    dontgiveup2319 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry. I'm new to the community blogs lol
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

this isnt a blog though, this is a message forum for discussing topics.
    A blog is a frequently updated online personal journal or diary.
  • dontgiveup2319
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »

As you can tell I don't know what I'm doing. I would delete it if I knew how
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If your logging is in any way accurate, what you're doing is the perfect recipe to lose lean body mass by combining a failure to properly fuel with too much activity for what you're feeding yourself.

Luckily it looks like your exercise burns are wildly exaggerated and your intake is underestimated so the dangerously low net intake might not be as bad as it looks at first glance. Read the stickies ... learn the basics ... fix your logging ... properly fuel yourself.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Are you changing your diet?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Don't worry about deleting it or being sorry for posting it. These are public forums and you are more than welcome to ask questions here. This is actually a basic question that a lot of people ask when starting out. The saying goes, though, that you can't outrun a bad diet. No matter how much you exercise, if you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain weight.

One of the best breakdowns I've seen is this:
    • For weight loss: calories in < calories out. Eat less than you burn.
    • For body composition: get enough protein and do some sort of progresive resistance training
    • For overall health: get enough fat, micronutrients, water, sleep, rest/recovery, maybe some cardio.
    • For your sanity: don't eliminate a whole group of foods for no medical reason or foods you can enjoy in moderation.
  • dontgiveup2319
    Options
    If your logging is in any way accurate, what you're doing is the perfect recipe to lose lean body mass by combining a failure to properly fuel with too much activity for what you're feeding yourself.

Luckily it looks like your exercise burns are wildly exaggerated and your intake is underestimated so the dangerously low net intake might not be as bad as it looks at first glance. Read the stickies ... learn the basics ... fix your logging ... properly fuel yourself.

My food intake is as correct as can be. I weigh everything. As for the exercising, that's what mfp says as I don't really know how to calculate how many calories I burn. I don't think there's really a true way to track that. If there is let me know.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

My food intake is as correct as can be. I weigh everything. As for the exercising, that's what mfp says as I don't really know how to calculate how many calories I burn. I don't think there's really a true way to track that. If there is let me know.

You can use a Heart Rate Monitor for steady-state cardio. They're pretty accurate for that. Won't help with strength training.
  • dontgiveup2319
    Options
    I have a fitbit but it doesn't have the heart rate monitor :(
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit but it doesn't have the heart rate monitor :(

You don't need one

Fitbit will monitor activity level
    You can use MFP database for workouts but suggest logging half the calories it suggests (just click on the calories before entering)
    Stick to your calorie defecit across the week

What tincan wrote was spot on

And please don't be afraid to ask questions, it's how we all learn

• MichaelDavis8
    MichaelDavis8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in reading some informative & helpful weight loss reviews and articles, you should check internethealth.org
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

So you honestly only consumed 844 calories yesterday, 1083 the day before, and just a single banana that you didn't weigh on Saturday?

https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/ ... takes some math but provides gross caloric burn based on research, not advertising claims. Any time a calculator starts saying you're burning well over 10 calories per minute, it is worthy of suspicion. Your reported Zumba burns are on par with what riders burn on mountainous stages of the Tour de France ... low intensity dance moves do not burn that much.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

So are you eating too much to lose weight? I am very lost now
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    i lost 80 lbs not exercising i just ate less, exercising will speed it up if you eat eat healthy ang less calories than your body needs to maintain.
  • dontgiveup2319
    Options
    I do the gym classes. I try to eat 1200 calories a day, some of those days I didn't log everything lol.

I did one of those calculators telling me what I should eat a day and it doesn't seem right...what do you think? It's to lose weight too. I'm having a hard time with food, life getting enough of everything. I just started out on Sunday.

1723 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    20g Net Carbs (5%, 80 kcal)
    82g Protein (19%, 326 kcal)
    146g Fat (76%, 1317 kcal)