Dieting during medical marijuana smoking

Options

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Interestingly, population studies have shown marijuana users tend to have lower weight than non-users.
    I live in Washington where it's legal and they still have a lot of over weight people.

Snort
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Wait, the OP stated he is smoking it medicinally; which, unless they are 'self-medicating' (naughty, naughty), means that they are being advised by a medical professional and this is being prescribed as a treatment. All you people telling OP to 'just quit taking drugs' need to think about that....would you tell someone to stop taking any other prescribed medication just because you don't agree with it personally?

When it comes to the munchies, not much I can recommend....air popped popcorn??

What's next? People will be saying we should follow the diet advice of Dr. Oz, because he's a doctor?
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Wait, the OP stated he is smoking it medicinally; which, unless they are 'self-medicating' (naughty, naughty), means that they are being advised by a medical professional and this is being prescribed as a treatment. All you people telling OP to 'just quit taking drugs' need to think about that....would you tell someone to stop taking any other prescribed medication just because you don't agree with it personally?

What's next? People will be saying we should follow the diet advice of Dr. Oz, because he's a doctor?

I am not even getting into this with you, because I know you are not worth it and you have nothing to contribute to the OP's original question and are just spoiling for a fight. Move it along, Mr Fish. Ain't nobody got time for that. I wasn't making any sort of inflammatory remark, I was simply giving people something to think about. Medical marijuana and its benefits has far more scientific research and evidence backing it up than anything Dr Oz says, a fact which I am sure yourself and most people on here are aware of.

Good day.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't smoke but I have gotten hooked on cut up cucumbers and everything hummus when I have a few beers. :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Change your strain. Certain strains will give you the munchies, just like certain strains will make you tired. It's the difference between Indica and Sativa. Talk to your pharma (I'm assuming you're a pharmie) and have them suggest a different breed that doesn't have the undesired effects.

*ahem* Not that I'd know anything about pot.

That was what I was going to suggest. The dispensaries are very knowledgeable about which strains will have certain effects.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Ask Gary Wenk why smoking pot gives you the munchies. Betcha anything he knows.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I second air-popped popcorn and sugar free jelly (jello) :)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    http://www.vanderbiltpoliticalreview.com/munch-more-weigh-less-marijuana-baffles-common-sense/
    links to several studies that have been done.

Hadn't really thought about this, I live in Colorado, maybe I should rethink my diet? B)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Interestingly, population studies have shown marijuana users tend to have lower weight than non-users.
    I live in Washington where it's legal and they still have a lot of over weight people.

Snort

Yep. Smoking pot has nothing to do with being overweight or not, but the calorie consumption does. Pot has different effects on people. Back in the day when I used to smoke it, it made me very grumpy but did nothing for my appetite one way or the other.

OP, if you're trying to lose weight and your RX of pot gives you the munchies, have you thought of talking to your doctor and asking for a medication that does not increase your appetite?
  • annaheyoolay
    annaheyoolay Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Try an Indica strain rather than Sativa, if that's what you're currently using. Sativa is known to be more of an appetite stimulant.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    The OP has said he uses MEDICAL marijuana for back pain. This sounds like a medical issue and a legitimate use to me. He is asking for help, not for people to tell him to quit smoking.

OP, I don't have any good suggestions, other than smoking before mealtimes, ingesting rather than smoking, and keeping healthier food in the house to munch on.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Smoke after your meal. Drink water if you get cravings.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Depends what he's talking about. If I had to have thoracic surgery, I'd consider myself lucky if he was the operating surgeon. For anything else perisurgical, I'd want nothing to do with him giving advice, as the rise in blood pressure would probably be bad for surgery.
    People can be experts in their domain and still be ignorant outside of it.
    So could you explain what is medically wrong with someone taking marijuana if it is prescribed properly and used for treating a condition it is capable of helping?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Snort
    I know you're joking, but the legalization could actually work really well for gathering new data about if marijuana's weight loss association. It would be interesting if states that legalize recreational use see a drop in obesity, or at least a slowdown in it, compared to other states that still have it criminalized.
  • krustykrub
    krustykrub Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm a heavy recreational user and I get the munchies very bad, that's why I'm here in fitness pal trying to lose 5 kilos from the munchies. Sometimes I can control them, but sometimes not. Yes I think it is all in your head. What works for me is to distract myself, go for a walk, and try to not think about food. Drink "mate tea" or "coca tea" (I don't know if coca leaves tea is legal over there) but mate should be. It suppresses the appetit. Munchies do not last for ever, they come in "waves" so if you distract yourself for at least 20 min, and drink the teas, they will go away.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    smoke up before meal time and eat a normal meal... probably more satisfying than eating random junk food.

"ever worked out... on weed??"

More than once.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    krustykrub wrote: »
    I'm a heavy recreational user and I get the munchies very bad, that's why I'm here in fitness pal trying to lose 5 kilos from the munchies. Sometimes I can control them, but sometimes not. Yes I think it is all in your head. What works for me is to distract myself, go for a walk, and try to not think about food. Drink "mate tea" or "coca tea" (I don't know if coca leaves tea is legal over there) but mate should be. It suppresses the appetit. Munchies do not last for ever, they come in "waves" so if you distract yourself for at least 20 min, and drink the teas, they will go away.

You sure? How much we talking for the weed budget?
  • yopeeps025
    Options

OH I know what you are talking about but I find it untrue.
  • MisRka
    MisRka Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with what other smokers have said-change your strain or have an activity planned for after you smoke. I like smoking pre workout or before I eat a healthy satisfying meal. It can be a bit of a mental game but once you find the balance it gets easy.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The big reasons for prescribing (or suggesting or allowing) are to increase appetite and because some say it helps with nausea. If lack of appetite or nausea were problems, you wouldn't be upset about the increased appetite. You'd be glad.

Why are you doing it? Is there some medication that would accomplish your goal and not increase your appetite?