educational and inspiring documentaries on Netflix streaming.

13»

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    This is by far the most educational and inspirational documentary I've seen on Netflix. It's amazing, do not miss watching it. Be prepared to weep.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/these_birds_walk/
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Sad and disappointed at this list.... Gilmore Girls and Friends are more educational than these "documentaries"....
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    I personally thought that these were info-mercials.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    I just got The Perfect Human Diet from a from the library. Haven't watched it yet. Any opinions on it?

I streamed it during my worthless Amazon Prime free trial. It was a pro-paleo something-or-other. It held my interest, but it romanticized pre-ag and pre-industrial man.

I did watch Bigger, Stronger, Faster the other night, and it also held my interest. I don't know enough about the controversy over steroids to know how fairly represented this doc was towards the anti-steroid position, but I did find the discussion about the pressures on males as a whole, and athletes in particular, very interesting and worth the watch.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    I enjoyed Super Size Me. The fast food and his body's reaction thoroughly grossed me out.

But the movie is in no way about "fast food" it is actually about the consequences of not taking responsibility for ones choices.

People forget that the driving premise was him surrendering the option to not eat everything offered to him.

The fact is if you replicated his process but instead of stipulating that you HAVE to eat what's offered you exercised moderation do you think you would see anything like his results? McDs is hardly the best possible source of nutrition but you could eat every meal at the place for a year and still be perfectly healthy. If you do what I assume you already do and exercised some self determination.

On the other hand if you duplicated his process at Whole Foods and simply ate everything offered to you every day would you expect a significantly different outcome?

You honestly believe that?

I do, if you control your macro's and caloric intake.

I mean, a teacher from Iowa did it. Granted that was 6 months, but he dropped 60 lbs.
    A healthy diet includes a variety of fruits and veggies and that's something you just cannot get at McDonald's. I don't even think McDonald's suggests that eating their food and only their food constitutes a healthy diet.

A healthy diet is made up of more than calories and macros.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited July 2015
    Kalikel wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    I enjoyed Super Size Me. The fast food and his body's reaction thoroughly grossed me out.

But the movie is in no way about "fast food" it is actually about the consequences of not taking responsibility for ones choices.

People forget that the driving premise was him surrendering the option to not eat everything offered to him.

The fact is if you replicated his process but instead of stipulating that you HAVE to eat what's offered you exercised moderation do you think you would see anything like his results? McDs is hardly the best possible source of nutrition but you could eat every meal at the place for a year and still be perfectly healthy. If you do what I assume you already do and exercised some self determination.

On the other hand if you duplicated his process at Whole Foods and simply ate everything offered to you every day would you expect a significantly different outcome?

You honestly believe that?

I do, if you control your macro's and caloric intake.

I mean, a teacher from Iowa did it. Granted that was 6 months, but he dropped 60 lbs.
    A healthy diet includes a variety of fruits and veggies and that's something you just cannot get at McDonald's. I don't even think McDonald's suggests that eating their food and only their food constitutes a healthy diet.

A healthy diet is made up of more than calories and macros.

Isn't meeting your dietary needs (macros) which would require fruits and veggies kind of the definition of a healthy diet.

Not sure which McDonalds you go to where you can't get fruits and veggies.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Yeah I don't think it would be all that difficult to eat a varied and balanced diet off the McD's menu. Maybe 15-20 years ago that would have been a more difficult task.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Earthlings

should be on that list it should be on all lists
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Yeah I don't think it would be all that difficult to eat a varied and balanced diet off the McD's menu. Maybe 15-20 years ago that would have been a more difficult task.

I agree. The value menu in particular can be excellent bang for the macro buck, with really rational serving sizes.
  • helloscott
    helloscott Posts: 5 Member
    Last night I watched a documentary on Netflix called "Bite Size". This movie is focused on childhood obesity. Highly recommended.
    Fed Up was good, even if it did try to hit me over the head with the "Juice Revolution" right at the last second.
  • helloscott
    helloscott Posts: 5 Member
    edited July 2015
    Instead of Netflix, check out Jamie Oliver's TED talk on you tube.
    He also has a great series called Jamie Oliver's Dream School on you tube. He's teaching high school kids lessons on cooking and nutrition that I never learned. Especially interesting is his comparison of frozen, pre-packaged chicken nuggets vs real chicken. (44 ingredients, 14 minutes, more expensive, tastes terrible vs 3 ingredients, 5 minutes, cheaper, and tastes better).
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I almost liked Bite Size. The overall message of not letting obese kids turn to obese adults was good, but they lost me at teaching kids that long words on food packages are bad...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Fed up was the dumbest thing I think I ever watched. I actually had to laugh.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    I almost liked Bite Size. The overall message of not letting obese kids turn to obese adults was good, but they lost me at teaching kids that long words on food packages are bad...

You kind of know all you need to about a person when their nutritional philosophy is "big words are bad"...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2015
    I just got The Perfect Human Diet from a from the library. Haven't watched it yet. Any opinions on it?

The Perfect Human Diet is a good show for people who are interested in how the SAD has changed in the last 60 years. It contains interviews by many dietary experts, researchers and science writers, like Banting, Wolfe, Taubes. It definitely has a LCHF slant and often discuses the Paleolithic diet, as first introduced 40 or so years ago.

It is a bit dry without a lot of bells and whistles, but I found it interesting and entertaining. I recommend it.