Do all runners lose toenails?

Options
omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
Just curious on this. I've never lost a toenail - not even close. I've been running for over 3 years, though the most mileage I get to is 20 to 25 miles at the peak of training for a half. Typically, it's more like 15 - 18 miles a week. I just read all the time about how bad runner's feet are supposed to look and mine are fine. I do tend to where my shoes on the big side. Or is just that I'm not particularly high mileage?

Just curious (and bored apparently LOL)

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost one yet and I've been running consistently for about 7 years now. Like you my longest distance running has been a half marathon, perhaps if I upped my distances training for a marathon it might happen but....so far,so good (we may also just be lucky people whose shoes fit exceptionally well......)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Have run for 40 years, never lost one.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    had one get a bit painful for a few weeks but didnt lose it. i lost my toenail after accidently dragging the wheely bin over my foot while wearing sandals
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I've never lost one, but I don't do really long distances. However, I have noticed if I let them get a little too long the toes sometimes get a little tender.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost one yet and I've done 1/2 marathons. Granted the pounding after 13 miles does take a toll on balls of my feet and the toenails do get tender.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have heard that about ultramarathoners. In fact, I either read it or maybe I saw it on a documentary that some ultramarathoners get them removed - on purpose !! - before a race. Yikes!
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I've been running a little over a year and ran a half in May. I've never lost a toenail either. I only recently found out this was a thing from my friend I ran the half with (she doesn't lose toenails either). My toes don't get sore either, but I have very small feet/toes and keep my nails really short so that might have something to do with it.
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both run a lot-I get pedicures and have pretty toes but his feet are a mess! I think he has lost 3 nails at one time or another.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I did not know that you should get running shoes a size larger than your regular shoes and lost four toenails. I got some larger shoes and haven't had a problem since. About 25 miles a week.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Proper shoes eliminate much of the risk. Buy cheap shoes (or expensive ones that aren't right for your feet) and watch your toenails turn black.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I have never lost a nail, my training partner has lost many. His nails turn black and eventually come off. My big toe usually wears a hole in the top of my shoe but the nail is fine.

If I wear steel toe work shoes, the nail on my big toe will split down the center.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I had never lost a toenail until I bought some sneakers that weren't a good fit for me. But, after spending that much money that I couldn't get back (didn't figure out that they hurt until running a couple times in them) i decided to at least get the miles out of them for my half that was coming up (yes, I know that wasn't the best decision, but money is tight). After that race I lost my big toenail. Idk if this is something with just my feet, but that toenail has grown back extra thick and funky looking, and keeps falling off after a few months. I have my other big toenail that does the same thing, but i had dropped a chair on it years ago and it grew back funky.

I'd say if you are constantly losing toenails that you need a different shoe. I don't think losing a toenail is a good thing.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Proper shoes eliminate much of the risk. Buy cheap shoes (or expensive ones that aren't right for your feet) and watch your toenails turn black.
    +1
    I learned this lesson the hard way

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I've been running since I was 8 and thankfully haven't lost a toenail doing it.
  • Sunnysided1
    Sunnysided1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    No, but I wear the correct shoe size. I need to be able to wiggle my toes plus. I have done a couple marathons too no problem.
    Or let's say I used to anyway because the last pair I sized down for vanity. :/ I have big feet too and a big big toe. That pair did not see much running though.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I never lost one from running.
    My baby toe nail fell off during after a particularly hectic day running errands all over NYC in flats when I was an intern.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost any toe-nails. My brother, who is a trail ultra-marathoner, has lost several toe-nails. His runs are anywhere from 50 - 100 miles nonstop in the mountains.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I've never lost one. My longest run is a full marathon and after that the toe next to the big one turned purple for a month but stayed on.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I run and have never lost any, but when DH started running he lost like 4 of them in pretty quick succession. But nothing since then.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    The problem is poor shoe fitting