daunted!!

Options
fazza7
fazza7 Posts: 3 Member
So fed up with my weight/diet and lack of control. wanting to start tomorrow but worried about stickability need all the encouragement I can get!

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    It's daunting at first, but stick with it. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature. Good luck on reaching your goals!
  • fazza7
    Options
    thank you, any tips? just been reading about pre-logging food the day before, quite like that idea.
  • tbbhealthanista
    tbbhealthanista Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Start with small changes! For example if you drink 3 sodas a day, cutting back to 1 per day, and eventually none.

As far as nutrition goes, I used a program that worked amazing, but I also use Michi's Ladder to plan out my meals. If gives you really good insight as to what foods you can eat daily, foods you should limit to three times per week, etc. About 70% of your results come from your nutrition, and it's amazing how quick your body can drop some sludge and bloat after a few days of eating better.

Pre-logging is good, and works especially well if you meal prep. I always make my lunch for the next day the night before. I make sure I know what I'm eating for breakfast, and try to cook up a batch of healthy foods that last once or twice a week (I.e., a box of quinoa will last you 4 or 5 days in the fridge). That way it's on hand for a quick meal.
  • fazza7
    Options
    thank you, feeling positive for tomorrow now
  • opalle
    opalle Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Starting can be overwhelming but you can do this if you are determined.

Some tips I've learned so far:

Get a food scale and weigh your portions. By far the biggest eye opener for me was how much food I was eating compared to how much food I though I was eating. It may feel awkward at first but it will get you results.

Pre-logging your meals is incredibly helpful. Not only to stay on track but also lets you prepare by making sure you have the proper ingredients and groceries.

Be patient and accept that this will take time. Resist the urge to rush things, a slow loss with sustainable changes will help you not only lose the weight but keep it off.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    it gets less daunting with time... promise :)
  • nora_gettingfitnow
    nora_gettingfitnow Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Start with small changes! For example if you drink 3 sodas a day, cutting back to 1 per day, and eventually none.

I totally agree, starting with small changes is definitely the way to go and it will help avoid binges along the way. I also prepare meals in advance as I find this really helps. There is an operation transformation filler soup that I also make and is about 40cals per serving, full of the homemade goodness you dont get in shop bought packets and add some wholemeal bread and thats a great lunch. Plus its great for freezing.

If I am going anywhere for the day, ill plan ahead and bring some packed lunch etc so I'm not tempted to buy something that is bad for me or even worse, skip a meal altogether. (this used to be a habit of mine)

Best of luck with it, MFP will definitely help and the support you get is amazing. Just keep thinking you can and will do it, get into a routine which will then become a habit and you won't know yourself in afew months time :wink:

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    fazza7 wrote: »
    thank you, feeling positive for tomorrow now
    Try to make one positive choice today! It's really important to try to get out of the mindset of 'diet days' or weeks ('I made bad choices today. I'll start again on Monday. But for now, I'll eat everything in sight.') You can start again at any time (4pm on a Tuesday afternoon!)
  • Edjeep
    Edjeep Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Start today, not tomorrow. Make a wiser choice for the next thing you eat.
    Start logging what you eat first. Not a bad thing to get a measure of your progress from the very beginning.
    I use the smart phone app and scan as much as I possibly can. I log everything, but don't get tangled up if I eat out and can't find the exact thing I ate. Be honest, pick something as close as you can identify and move on.

Drink a lot of water. Explore new foods. Don't just give up foods, but find new favorite foods. Make sure you eat enough calories.

Find a new exercise routine, choose the active rather than the passive life. Set goals for yourself, on scale and off scale.

Have friends on MFP. The daily back and forth while logging is helpful. Even if just to see that others are still at it too!