Running Safety

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    How do you judge whether it is safe to run in a certain area?

By how recently it's been since I've been taser raped there and if the person that has been caught
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Being male I imagine that I am much safer to start with.

It amazes me the people that walk/run/bicycle with zero situational awareness. Get rid of the earphones, lift your eyes from directly at your feet, and be aware of what is around you. That practice alone will make your runs substantially safer.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Being male I imagine that I am much safer to start with.

It amazes me the people that walk/run/bicycle with zero situational awareness. Get rid of the earphones, lift your eyes from directly at your feet, and be aware of what is around you. That practice alone will make your runs substantially safer.
    Agreed.
    However in this situation I think it best to avoid the area all together.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Well, you already spoke to the running group about that particular trail. Did you ask them to recommend safer trails? They would have a much better idea of where it's safe to run near you than random internet strangers.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I run with pepper spray (it attaches by keychain to my phone case), along heavily trafficked roads, mostly in the early morning (but always when the sun is out). Doing all of this hasn't stopped from being harassed and feeling unsafe, though. Once, after a particularly bad incident--a guy following me in his car for several blocks--I called the police, and shouted at the guy that I was calling. He backed off. So, I guess, try to have your phone on you, too. It's tough! I think the only thing you can do is prepare, do a little research, and hope for the best.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I live in an urban area, and about 2 months ago discovered a gem: a wooded park with trails. I was getting such joy from morning runs there, and felt perfectly safe. But after talking to a running group there, I did another news search and discovered the park's occasional taser rapist.

I haven't gone jogging there since, and I miss it so badly.

The last reported occurrence was 2013, if it's the Queens one I'm finding. I'd say he's moved on.

However, it's never a bad idea to maintain situational awareness. With the numbers of people running in that park, I'd say you're relatively safe.

Also, running with a partner helps as well.
  • syrupspew
    syrupspew Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It doesn’t matter if you are raped if just the threat of it makes you retreat from living your life. When I was preparing for a solo trip, it was the unspoken and sometimes spoken fear that I would be raped. We don’t make a woman take a man with her; we just keep her in fear so she doesn’t want to venture out alone. The joys of being a woman…taught to be fearful and that strength is masculine and ugly. For the record, I was not harmed on my trip. Although, I was constantly reminded of all of the dangers and threats from people who meant well.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Guess if you let things like this hold you back, you will always be afraid to do things at the sign of threats. Your life could end at any moment outside of that park such as a drunk driver while on the road. I don't understand this thing about safety. There's a risk everywhere but that shouldn't stop you from living.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I live in an urban area, and about 2 months ago discovered a gem: a wooded park with trails. I was getting such joy from morning runs there, and felt perfectly safe. But after talking to a running group there, I did another news search and discovered the park's occasional taser rapist.

I haven't gone jogging there since, and I miss it so badly.

The last reported occurrence was 2013, if it's the Queens one I'm finding. I'd say he's moved on.

However, it's never a bad idea to maintain situational awareness. With the numbers of people running in that park, I'd say you're relatively safe.

Also, running with a partner helps as well.

If he hadn't had a two year gap between clusters of attacks in the past, I would agree. But since there was an equally long gap between the 2011 attacks and 2013 ones ...

I always do maintain situational awareness.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    syrupspew wrote: »
    It doesn’t matter if you are raped if just the threat of it makes you retreat from living your life. When I was preparing for a solo trip, it was the unspoken and sometimes spoken fear that I would be raped. We don’t make a woman take a man with her; we just keep her in fear so she doesn’t want to venture out alone. The joys of being a woman…taught to be fearful and that strength is masculine and ugly. For the record, I was not harmed on my trip. Although, I was constantly reminded of all of the dangers and threats from people who meant well.

It's strange for me, I never was concerned in any of my adventures or travels before. Not did I feel concerned when I was jogging in this park. But now I do have a bad feeling.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this thing about safety.

Probably because you're male.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    Guess if you let things like this hold you back, you will always be afraid to do things at the sign of threats. Your life could end at any moment outside of that park such as a drunk driver while on the road. I don't understand this thing about safety. There's a risk everywhere but that shouldn't stop you from living.

Please try not to judge a person's courage from one post. I have moved halfway across the world to a country where I didn't even speak the language and lived there alone, without fear, for over a year.
  • williamwj2014
    Options
    Right. I've seen plenty of females out in open trails, on their own. Please. I guess they were scared for their life the entire time though.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    Are you trying to be insulting?
  • williamwj2014
    Options
    Are you that sensitive to what I'm saying? All I'm saying is that if you let fear hold you back because of what may have happened in the past, then good luck in life.
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Since you live in NYC try finding a nice community that might have a park you could run in. A richer community is probably going to have securer areas and nicer quiet parks. You should still always be aware of your surroundings, but you can let your gard down just a little.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Well, I live out in the boondocks and the worst things I encounter on the trail are aggressive geese and Snakes (Copperheads). Well, so far anyway. I've also seen evidence of bear in the area too. Basically, be prepared. There are a few things I've learned to do:
    1. Tell somebody you're going out alone.
    2. Tell them where you're going
    3. Tell them when you expect to be back
    4. Always carry a fully charged cell phone. Disable any battery sucking apps before running. In most jurisdictions you aren't considered missing for 24 hrs. I run w/ my ringers muted and its hidden from view. As long as that battery is alive on that cell phone, there are technologies that can ping it and find out where it is. But time is not on your side in that regard.
    5. Don't run solo where there is no cell signal.
    6. Take self-defense courses and be prepared to use them with common sense (meaning you can't outrun a bullet). The advantage you have over an attacker in most cases is that you know the area. If you can use those self defense tactics to get away and to a populated area, go for it with gusto.
    7. You're probably in better physical shape than your attacker. Take the shortest route you can, handle to a populated area. Go over the river and through the woods if you have to, but get to civilization!

As you can tell by the way I've written this, I've pretty much already decided that nobody will take my freedoms away from me and I ain't going down without a fight. That's part of surviving right there.

So, as far as the taser rapist goes...as long as the taser is discharging current, he can't do anything to you either, otherwise, he'll be shocked. A taser only temporarily disables you. (Do some research on how tasers work!) You'll have opportunities for escape.

Now that I've typed all of this up, I guess the most important things are the first 5 bullets...the rest is all up to your comfort level.
  • hlnebel
    hlnebel Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Are you that sensitive to what I'm saying? All I'm saying is that if you let fear hold you back because of what may have happened in the past, then good luck in life.

There's a difference between letting fear hold you back and taking some precautions for safety. Did she say she was going to stop running because this park wasn't safe? No, she did not.
  • syrupspew
    syrupspew Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Right. I've seen plenty of females out in open trails, on their own. Please. I guess they were scared for their life the entire time though.

Have you read the responses?! Most women are afraid and do it anyway. We are taught to be afraid. We are taught to see victims as having made some mistake that if we study and learn from we can avoid making.

OP, my comment was in support of you going back and enjoying something you enjoyed before others told you to be afraid. Don't let the rapist take something from you before he has even touched you.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    Thank you. I would not have been concerned if it weren't for the explicit warnings of people who have been running there longer than I've lived in this neighborhood plus the existence of a specific predator who targets people doing exactly what I am doing.

I hear you above about running in nice neighborhoods. However, I don't think you can get much nicer than Forest Hills, Forest Hills Gardens, etc.