When should I weigh myself?

Options
should I do it everyday in the mornings and record whatever number or only record weight loss?

Replies

• heather0416
    heather0416 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I usually weight myself first thing in the morning. Before I've had anything to eat or drink
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    The optimal time to weigh yourself is usually after you wake up and have gone to the bathroom but before you eat or drink anything. As for how much you do it, I'd advise against doing it every day. Your weight fluctuates due to hormones, stress, sodium intake and a whole host of other things. Once a week is more than enough.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. Many people can't weigh every day because the fluctuations bother them, so they only go one a week or less frequently. I do weigh every day and I log every one of this to see the trend...if I only recorded my lowest weight, I wouldn't have put anything down the past six weeks! The key is to make sure you do it in a consistent setting...generally first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom and before eating/drinking, and wearing the same amount of clothing.
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I weigh on a Friday morning, after going to the bathroom and before my breakfast, wearing just my underwear. It gives the lowest reading of the week :) I allow myself the odd treat / day off at weekend and don't work out Friday to Sunday, so this gives me the week to "recover" before I weigh myself again. I know some people say don't have cheat days but this is the only way I stick to a diet as I don't feel like I am restricting myself - I've managed to lose 33lb since early November so it seems to work for me and I'm now eating more as maintaining at 112lb x
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't record your daily weight on MFP - by all means weigh more often out of curiosity but choose a set day and time for recording your weight as you can fluctuate so much daily due to water retention etc. Also, I did find that weighing myself every morning would leave me disheartened and a bit consumed with always seeing the scales go down. Once a week is plenty.
  • dontgiveup2319
    dontgiveup2319 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I do it in the morning before I eat or drink anything once a week. Sometimes I do it once every 2 weeks.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    You will get a lot of answers.
    When I was losing weight I would way once a week, early morning right after waking up and record, regardless of whether there was a loss or not.
    Now that I'm on maintenance I weight whenever the mood strikes.
  • amzhun
    amzhun Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same, I started Monday but think I am going to change to a Friday morning. As I to will want a little treat on a weekend :)
  • Datfittnesguy
    Datfittnesguy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Once every two weeks
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    When should I weigh myself?

Your call. There is no correct answer other than personal preferences. If you're seeing results and not feeling discouraged, you're doing it right, even if you only weigh in once every 6 months...

That being said, I do it daily, because I want the data. I'm well aware I fluctuate from day to day, and don't care about that as long as the trend is good. Other people get put off by the fluctuations. So do what works for you
  • helloscott
    helloscott Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh in twice a day. Once in the morning for a "true" weight, and once at night as a preview of tomorrow morning's weigh in.
    I'm a numbers nerd though, so take that for what it's worth.
    The fluctuations don't bother me. I know by now (a year and a half later) that when I lose 3-4 pounds I'll gain 2, then plateau, then lose again a week or so later. I enjoy the stats and trending of the whole thing.