Starving on day 1 of 21 day fix

Options
kirdyq
kirdyq Posts: 165 Member
I had a bad start on day 1 of 21 day fix yesterday! At the end of the workday, I was completely starving! I had a hard boiled egg late in the afternoon to try and help, but it didn't. When I got home, I had a banana and just a few peanuts. All of this was still within my daily allowed portions.

But then...my mom watched our kids yesterday and sent home a plate of brownies. I caved and had one. I am just going to have to pitch that stuff as soon as it comes into the house, going forward, I think.

I had completed a couple of rounds of 21 day fix back in the Spring and I totally didn't have this hunger problem. Actually I usually felt very full and struggled to make myself eat everything! I can't help but wonder why this time I seem to be starving.

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Hmm,

perhaps learning to eat in a pattern that sustainable for the rest of your life might be more successful long-term than gimmicky stuff like this.

I mean, you're registered as a user on MFP, why not just use that to sustain a moderate calorie deficit and not have to feel miserable and hungry all the time?
  • kirdyq
    Options
    I kind of feel like the way the food is set up on the fix should be sustainable...I feel like I eat way more at breakfast than normal. Lunch and dinner are also quite a bit of food. All healthy. I just can't snack/drink junk things. Whether I'm following 21 day fix or tracking calories on MFP, that is going to have to stop either way?
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Day 1 is tough if you are starting after eating as much as you want of whatever you want. It will get easier. Don't let that 1 brownie stop you. Keep going.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Well it's the amount of calories you're getting to sustain your daily activity whilst still losing weight that is important.

The leaner you are, the less fat you can mobilise from stores in a day and therefore the less of a deficit you need.

The amount of food is not really the issue. You could eat 1/2kg of broccoli in a sitting - which is a large amount of food. But it doesn't have the calorie density to sustain vigorous activity (I am assuming there's a workout schedule with this thing).

You'd be satiated if you got 1gm/lb of bw in protein a day and sustained a moderate calorie deficit. That's obviously not a sexy quick fix, but it will be sustainable longer-term.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    The first day of my new lifestyle didn't feel like this. And here I am, about 14 months later still eating that way and several pounds under my initial goal weight. :)

My advice - don't start a diet that involves arm wrestling your will power. You'll lose.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I never starve when I follow flexible dieting and MFP plans. I only starve when I follow 1200 calorie or less diets.

ETA: And if I happen to be extra hungry, I work out so I can eat something
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I never starve when I follow flexible dieting and MFP plans. I only starve when I follow 1200 calorie or less diets.

This^^!!

21 day diets are not sustainable.

OP read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard of the 21 Day Fix before.....when I see things like "lose up to 15lbs in 21 days" my first instinct is to run away. The fact that you did it in the spring and are doing it again now tells me that it's not a long-term type of program that actually gives you the tools you need to modify your eating habits in a sustainable way.
  • kirdyq
    Options
    I'll give you a little more of the story of why I decided to pick this program. Prior to this, I did not exercise at all, except for chasing the small kids around the house. I have a full time sedentary desk job. I ate two fairly healthy meals a day. Breakfast has always been a downfall for me - I'm never hungry then and so sometimes I don't eat or don't eat much. I would also have some night time snacks. My weight had been the same and stable for years. Even after kids, it went back to what it always had been.

I started having horrific headaches last summer, which I thought were a different type of migraine than I normally have. Come fall, I'd had enough, did an MRI and they found a blood clot in my head. I had to go on Coumadin and a drug to prevent headaches - amitriptyline. At that time, my weight started to climb. I've put on 15 pounds.

So, I wanted to start exercising. I thought that I'd really like the workouts in the 21 day fix DVD's. They are the perfect length to fit into my schedule, and I prefer to exercise at home. And after starting them in the Spring, I found that I really do love them. I started following the meal setup because it came along with it. I really liked how it visually taught me good portion size, and it also made me more mindful about cutting out some of the junky snacks that I'd been eating in late afternoons/evenings.

I fell off the bandwagon and stopped exercising after a couple months of it because my headaches started to intensify, and jumping around and moving in those ways basically felt like I was stabbing myself in the head. Anyway, I've been feeling better lately so I'm just getting started again.

I do not believe that you can move mountains in 21 days. I do believe that after around a month or so you can develop healthier habits, though, such as exercising and proper portion size. I definitely felt that this started me down the path of a healthier lifestyle...March 16th to around mid-May I was frequently exercising. Something I'd never really done before. If it weren't for the health issue, I would have definitely kept up with it.

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    OP, no one is saying that you shouldn't do the exercises. They are however saying that they believe the diet is unhealthy, since even when losing weight, you should not be hungry.

Have you read any of the recommended post in this section or the weightloss section?
    Please educate yourself on what calories are and why calories in vs calories out are so important.
    The calorie thing is not a quick fix or a fad. No bells or whistles involved. It is literally how energy and the human body works.
    Educate yourself so you can make a well informed choice.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    How many calories were you consuming before vs. how many you consume on 21 Day Fix? If it's a vast difference, it's no wonder you're having a hard time.

May I suggest you put 21DF aside for a week or so, while you track your "normal" pattern of eating to get a baseline?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    kirdyq wrote: »
    I kind of feel like the way the food is set up on the fix should be sustainable...I feel like I eat way more at breakfast than normal. Lunch and dinner are also quite a bit of food. All healthy. I just can't snack/drink junk things. Whether I'm following 21 day fix or tracking calories on MFP, that is going to have to stop either way?

What?

Thin people do snack from time to time. Thin people do drink junk from time to time. I want to be a thin person, I want to be able to maintain being a thin person.

The point is modifying behavior for now AND the future. I need to manage my snacking habits...not eradicate them. If I can never have a snack again as long as I live.....I give up.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Another stupid fad diet that isn't sustainable long term. Money down the drain. Just learn how to find filling meals, seriously. When on a deficit, you should be eating foods higher in protein, moderate carbs, and low fat! (Chicken/tuna) seriously.

Quit thinking about food all the time and focus on other things.
  • emodavis
    emodavis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When on a deficit, you should be eating foods higher in protein, moderate carbs, and low fat!.

Do you have a source for this? I feel a thousand times better with high fat, moderate protein, and low carbs when losing weight. Just curious if your advice is anecdotal.
  • kirdyq
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    kirdyq wrote: »

What?

Thin people do snack from time to time. Thin people do drink junk from time to time. I want to be a thin person, I want to be able to maintain being a thin person.

The point is modifying behavior for now AND the future. I need to manage my snacking habits...not eradicate them. If I can never have a snack again as long as I live.....I give up.

I suppose I should have worded that "I can't snack/drink junk things as much as I have in recent times." Of course I am not saying I am not "going to have a snack again as long as I live!" I think that is pretty idiotic to think that. It's totally not what I meant at all. Sorry for not being more clear.

To be honest, I am a thin person and have always been. However, this recent health issue has started me down a different path.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    emodavis wrote: »
    When on a deficit, you should be eating foods higher in protein, moderate carbs, and low fat!.

Do you have a source for this? I feel a thousand times better with high fat, moderate protein, and low carbs when losing weight. Just curious if your advice is anecdotal.

I can't do the high fat thing myself (acid reflux)....but yeah....low fat is like 1970's
    OP - unless you have medical issues - ignore the low fat comment
  • emodavis
    emodavis Posts: 44 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Honestly, OP, I wonder how much of it is being told that you can't have something. Maybe add in some more fat for satiety. I go light on the carbs whether actively watching macros or not because I can't handle gluten and sugar makes me want even more sugar. A spoonful of coconut oil or handful of pistachios is helpful to me. Adding more fat was my solution because low carb, low fat, and high protein made me a miserable person to be around and high carb, moderate protein, and low fat didn't mesh with my self-control and intestines.

You might just need to mess around with it and figure out what works for you. Also, the 15 pounds could just be the medication. Either way, plenty of produce and some exercise are good things. Maybe double check you're getting enough calories too.