Do all runners lose toenails?

Options
2»

Replies

• Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have never lost any toe nails but I have bruised them badly. I have been running for several years now including several marathons and one 50K. The only damage to my toe nails has been from kicking up rocks.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Not sure about runners, but most dancers do at some point...even people who just do social dancing.

I happened to see the bare feet of some of my dancing friends recently...whoa boy! Mine at least look OK from a distance. I've lost both big toenails completely at various times and they are still a bit iffy. No pedicures for me--I wouldn't trust anybody around my toenails.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I lost one, but it was because I had the wrong shoes - bad size, small toe-box, etc. Learned a painful and ugly lesson.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Only when I run full marathons. Even training runs up to 22 miles don't do it. I suspect the distance and speed of the full marathon combine. And even then it doesn't always happen.

Currently I only have 9 toenails as I lost one at my last full Ironman a couple weeks ago.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I have never lost a toenail and running barefoot a few times a week keeps my feet looking better than they ever did staying locked inside sweaty shoes all the time.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have done 31 half marathons and the only time I have ever lost a toenail was when I was 17 and bought the running shoes that looked cute and were trendy. It didn't even take a lot of miles to lose the nail...
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    lost my first one ever running a full
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I've been running since middle school and I've never lost one. My running partner in high school cross country would lose one of her pinky toe nails at the start of each season though, lol. I've never run more than 7 miles at one time and normally run 10-15 miles a week, so nothing crazy.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have run for 30 years and I cannot remember losing a toe nail from running and/or my running shoes. I don't really see how you could if your shoes fit properly. you are just going straight and you don't stop. I have sometimes cracked my toe nails when I play tennis. But it comes from stopping hard and fast and my toe jams into the front of my shoe.
    I also have to say: Soccer players have terrible looking feet and toe nails. They twist and turn and kick the ground and get stepped on, etc., etc., and it shows! I used to cringe whenever a fellow player took his shoes and socks off. Lost toe nail on one toe. Blood blister under another nail. Fungus under a third. On and on.
  • delboyholmes123
    delboyholmes123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hahaha. I lost 2 toe nails once running 10miles or so. Turns out you need to buy a slightly bigger running shoe than what your regular shoes are, doh! It didn't hurt but it freaked me the *kitten* out.
  • AdelaideNat
    AdelaideNat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Proper shoes eliminate much of the risk. Buy cheap shoes (or expensive ones that aren't right for your feet) and watch your toenails turn black.

This !

• TeenageDream1369
    TeenageDream1369 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    !!! I use to, but I had a vitamin deficiency and I never wore the right shoes !!!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I have to keep my toenails trimmed as short as possible for my dance shoes. My toenails hang on for dear life, but I've gotten horrible blood blisters under them. It really helps to keep them short.
  • JustChristy79
    JustChristy79 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    No, but I have to keep my toenails trimmed much shorter than I used to. I think my feet don't look as cute with them this short, but it's better than having them fall off.
  • lorenswan
    lorenswan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Its dancers who have ugly feet, not runners. If you're loosing toenails your shoes are obviously too small.
    Callouses, too small. Bunion pain, too narrow. Rough skin, rub with olive oil.
  • janewader2014
    janewader2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In the process of losing one and I am really upset, I recently completed the three peaks (walking quickly) and it was down hill in walking boots that did it even though my nails were short. Banging toes onto the front of walking boots for a few hours did quite a bit of damage.