How many calories over for splurge day?

Options
kimark1
kimark1 Posts: 84 Member
I was just wondering what people consider a splurge day as far as over your calorie count. I am already about 150 calories over but I am wanting something sweet like an ice cream bar but it would bring it close to 250 over. I didn't get in exercise today so I don't have any of those extra calories either.

Replies

• Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    250 over shouldn't hurt if it's only occasionally. I really try not to go over but rather to work something Indulgent into my day. Hungry-Girl recipes are great for that.
  • misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    my last spluge day was 1500 over... go with what your body wants
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    My cheat days usually end up being between 200-300 over. Have that ice cream!
  • nancymmorris
    nancymmorris Posts: 310
    Options
    Generaly 200-400 but I have went as high as 1500 before.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    My splurge days mean I eat what I want--not like binge, but order the mashed potatoes instead of the broccoli, have the ice cream instead of the fruit, etc. I don't worry about the calories because, honestly, 1 day isn't going to make or break me. Plus, it boosts my metabolism and helps me not binge when I get cravings. I'd say eat what you want and enjoy!
  • kimark1
    Options
    I usually try to leave a little wiggle room at the end of the day too so that I can have a little something sweet around 8pm. Today, however, I indulged in some very delcious fried crappie and some potato slices also deep fried (we call them river fries) and now I am paying the price.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Even if you're only set to lose .5 pounds a week, being over by 250 will put you at "maintenance" level.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Gosh, if I splurge, I Splurge with a captial S!!! :laugh:

I dont really call it a splurge if I'm still in deficit! So, you can do whatever you're comfortable with :flowerforyou:
  • denisemichele
    denisemichele Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i always have a sugar free chocolate fudgesicle when i want to cheat-only 40 calories!!
  • jesst8800
    jesst8800 Posts: 6
    Options
    Today was my first splurge day in a while and I went 515 over. I felt kind of bad but I've been keeping myself under my goal lately so I feel better about it lol.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Today will be my biggest splurge yet... an estimated 800+ calories over.... ugh...
  • Angeloftheshore
    Angeloftheshore Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am a carb addict lol and have found if I don't splurge and eat goodies now and then, I get bored with eating healthy stuff. I actually get angry. My taste buds have been cursed since childhood and I hate almost all veggies and love anything sweet. So I say eat what feels right, just use common sense and watch portions. Don't eat the whole pie, or two candy bars ;.) A diet should be something you can eventually mold to be a liveit,
  • Angeloftheshore
    Options
    i always have a sugar free chocolate fudgesicle when i want to cheat-only 40 calories!!

Good idea, thanks!
  • zkfam586
    zkfam586 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Tell me more about splurge day. How often does it occur?
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options

I agree! Then get right back on the eating healthy. When I have a splurge it is usually a hot fudge sundae and I will only allow myself the best. The best imo is cheesecake factoy, the sauce and whipped cream are homemade and the ice cream is premium. I eat what I want and leave the rest behind. Eating only the best makes it a choice not a quick fix and I have to get dressed, put on make up and drive ten miles down the road, to have my fix. That being said I have to say that after having the hot fudge treat I crave sweets for about two weeks and it is a long two weeks with much suffering, but once that sugar monkey is off my back all is well again untill my next visit to cheesecake factory.
  • kimark1
    Options
    This is my first time "splurging" in about a month. I have about 30lbs I want to lose so I can't afford to go over all the time.
  • Angeloftheshore
    Options
    Also, when I splurge, like today, I had fried chicken (I know bad me) but I now have a new attitude that if I want the yummy stuff I have to work for it. So I up my workouts that day, like today ;.) But I don't let this happen often!
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    I splurge every Friday. Plan to do this the rest of my life. I usually go over by about 1,000 calories and still lose consistently weekly.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I splurge every Friday. Plan to do this the rest of my life. I usually go over by about 1,000 calories and still lose consistently weekly.

There's a whole diet plan based on that...Spike 84 or some such. If I recall correctly he RECOMMENDS you go over, one day every week...I'm talking eat a whole pizza, that 10lb hamburger where if you eat it everyone at your table eats free...the whole 9yds, to the point of basically make yourself sick lol.

He's a member here so it may be that he comes and clarifies for us =D.

Personally, I feel even 2500 calories or more over once a week isn't going to kill you if you're eating clean and healthy the rest of the week. Where the problems come in is when people don't have the willpower to keep it to 'once a week' lol.

Cris
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options

hahaha - that just happened to me yesterday. Those days are very few and far between...but it does happen. A few hundred calories over is fine once a week.