No energy.

Options
So I've been trying to lose some weight. I gained about 20 in nursing school and have about 10 more to go. I noticed that after my morning work out that's about all the energy I got. I have almost no energy after lunch. I'm starting a new job soon so that worried me a little. I do step/body pump/body sculpt/walk and run. I usually exercise 5-6 days a week. I currently have a lot of down time during the day which soon won't be the case. I'm soaking it up lol anyway, I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough calories maybe or just need to be more active throughout the day. Or cut the coffee. I have 2 cups of coffee and sometimes a diet coke too. I have my calories set to 1350 and usually eat the majority of exercise calories back so I usually eat anywhere from 14-1600 cals . My legs have been feeling really weak and my work outs are sucking. I'm 5'11 and 183 lbs as of right now. Any input would be appreciated.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    At age 25, 5'11" and 183 pounds, without any exercise, your BMR is 1673 calories per day. That's the number of calories you need to simply maintain your body. You really shouldn't be eating less than that on a regular basis. So if that's the most you're ever eating ,and adding exercise every day, I'm not surprised you're feeling tired. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you said your hair was falling out, your nails were more brittle, etc. You aren't eating enough to support your body and activities.

Change your weight loss goal to lose less each week. What you have it set to now is obviously too aggressive to be sustainable long term. You'll lose weight a little more slowly, yes, but you'll be able to actually survive your days without feeling like you're ready to collapse from exhaustion.
  • jensquish1
    jensquish1 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    At age 25, 5'11" and 183 pounds, without any exercise, your BMR is 1673 calories per day. That's the number of calories you need to simply maintain your body. You really shouldn't be eating less than that on a regular basis. So if that's the most you're ever eating ,and adding exercise every day, I'm not surprised you're feeling tired. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you said your hair was falling out, your nails were more brittle, etc. You aren't eating enough to support your body and activities.

Change your weight loss goal to lose less each week. What you have it set to now is obviously too aggressive to be sustainable long term. You'll lose weight a little more slowly, yes, but you'll be able to actually survive your days without feeling like you're ready to collapse from exhaustion.
    I have it set to lose 2 lbs a week and 1350 is what it gives me. I guess maybe I should change it to 1 lb a week instead and see how I feel. Thankfully my hair isn't falling out and all that. Thanks for the input.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lower the aggressiveness of your goal. With only 10 pounds to lose, it should be at a half pound a week.
  • jensquish1
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Lower the aggressiveness of your goal. With only 10 pounds to lose, it should be at a half pound a week.
    Good point. 10 lbs really isn't a whole lot. Another thing is too when I do my body pump/sculpt work outs I don't log those. There's no way for me to tell how much I burn. I am working on getting a HRM soon though.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    jensquish1 wrote: »
    Good point. 10 lbs really isn't a whole lot. Another thing is too when I do my body pump/sculpt work outs I don't log those. There's no way for me to tell how much I burn. I am working on getting a HRM soon though.
    Remember the figure MFP gives you is a base, with the deficit already built in. Exercise calories are extra and most eat a portion, as that's how MFP is designed to work. Fuel the machine woman!
  • jensquish1
    Options
    Remember the figure MFP gives you is a base, with the deficit already built in. Exercise calories are extra and most eat a portion, as that's how MFP is designed to work. Fuel the machine woman!
    I will haha more food is okay by me!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Eat more, and take another rest day - you do not have to work out six days a week, your body needs the rest...But definitely eat more - I am almost twice your age, with a slowed down menopousal metabolism, and I eat more than you do.....And only work out 5 times a week... Also make sure you get enough sleep....
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I also find if I have absolutely nothing to do all day, I laze around & feel wayyyy more tired than if I'm working all day.
  • jensquish1
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Eat more, and take another rest day - you do not have to work out six days a week, your body needs the rest...But definitely eat more - I am almost twice your age, with a slowed down menopousal metabolism, and I eat more than you do.....And only work out 5 times a week... Also make sure you get enough sleep....
    Unfortunately I feel equal as crappy if I get 8 hours or 4 :-/ but yes I will up my calories for sure.

• jensquish1
    Options
    yeahfatty wrote: »
    I also find if I have absolutely nothing to do all day, I laze around & feel wayyyy more tired than if I'm working all day.
    That is sometimes my case. But other times I'm just plain exhausted either way. I'm excited to start working though. It should help me!
  • jensquish1
    Options
    Well MFP keeps changing my *kitten* back to 1350!! It will be changed and I go back and it's 1350 again. What the heck lol
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Well MFP keeps changing my *kitten* back to 1350!! It will be changed and I go back and it's 1350 again. What the heck lol
    You might just go through and completely re-do your goals. I find that if I do the guided goals it resets everything from what I manually entered to what MFP wants me to be doing.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Did you just begin exercising? Many people report less energy the first week or two, then more.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    You could also see your doctor for blood tests for vitamin D, iron and B vitamins. Deficiencies can make you tired, and they're easy to fix once diagnosed.
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    B vitamins are important but easy to get from food. They are the energy vitamin. You can get them in whole grain items.
  • jensquish1
    Options
    You might just go through and completely re-do your goals. I find that if I do the guided goals it resets everything from what I manually entered to what MFP wants me to be doing.
    Apparently I'm too stupid lol I can't figure it out!!!
  • jensquish1
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Did you just begin exercising? Many people report less energy the first week or two, then more.
    I'm definitely not starting. I've been exercising a long time now. :-/
  • jensquish1
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    You could also see your doctor for blood tests for vitamin D, iron and B vitamins. Deficiencies can make you tired, and they're easy to fix once diagnosed.

I take multi vitamins and drink protein shakes with plenty of vitamins in them so idk... I suppose it's worth checking out if upping cals doesn't work!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Apparently I'm too stupid lol I can't figure it out!!!

Go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided
    And click Update Profile when you are done.