diet and camping!?

Options
Hey guys,
I leave this Friday morning to go camping for the weekend, and i'm trying to figure out how to stay on my meal plan, trick is I'm pretty much on nutrasystem atm and i throw in yogurt etc. SO with no microwaves around, trying to figure out what to pack. Do you think yogurt would keep in a cooler for a few days? lol i love my Chobani yogurt.
This is gonna be tough, basically going with my BF and his guy friends, and i'm in charge of food so i need to bring crap for them lol and something for me that wont break the calorie bank.
Any help would be awesome! :)

Replies

• monchand
    monchand Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    apples, oranges, plain oatmeal(cook w/water), beef jerky, can of tuna(put mustard and salt and pepper in it when you open it), 90 calorie bread from sara lee, almonds, maybe 100 calorie snack packs. hope those ideas help
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be hiking, that'll burn a TON of calories. You shouldn't worry too much if you'll be very physically active
  • scd78
    scd78 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    We just got back from camping this weekend. I tried to be aware of what I was eating, but didn't want to feel like I was eating seperate meals. We cooked things to make balanced meals...watermelon, corn on cob, baked potato's...and then I took turkey bacon, turkey kielbosa (sp?), etc...my husband couldn't taste the difference...neither could I but I watched my portion size and calorie intake. Don't know if this helps, but I don't think I gained any weight...probably didn't lose either...but I can handle maintaining! Good luck!
  • cuerpito
    cuerpito Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree. You will be burning a lot of calories!!!
    My suggestion, eat whatever they eat - just keep the portion size in mind. Nutrisystem, frozen meals, and other programs like that are not great because they're super healthy, it's the portion control that does it.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruits & veggies. BBQ turkey burgers, kabobs & you can find hotdogs that are lower in calories. You'll burn a bunch if your not just sitting around. Have a good time : )
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    When I go camping (I don't eat meat), i just bring things like veggie hot dogs and hamburgers for the BBQ and things like that. I'm not sure how long yogurt will keep cool but I have brought pudding along with me camping since it doesn't need to be kept refrigerated. I would imagine if the meats stay good in a cooler, you should be able to bring your yogurt!

There aren't going to be many healthy choices camping, especially if you are drinking while camping also. You could cut back calories by eating the hamburgers and hotdogs without buns, with low fat or low calorie condiments, and also by watching what you drink (ie, water instead of juice to keep the calories down, low calorie beer if you will be drinking).

I do see a lot of people talking about the calories you will be burning... i never even thought of that!! If you can keep yourself busy and active then one weekend or week camping won't really throw you off track. Just keep everything in moderation and try not to snack if you aren't hungry (I find the heat makes me bored, and sometimes I eat when I am bored!)

Good luck and have fun!!
  • kokoasummer
    kokoasummer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah i totally hear you on it just being portion control not really healthy, i just dont trust myself going into a grocery store till i get my appetite size under control lol :)

Alot of good ideas guys!! Making a list as we speak!!

I'm suspecting we wont be very active, i'm going with a bunch of lazy boys with scooters lmao, but i will try and squeeze in whatever i can!

I agree. You will be burning a lot of calories!!!
    My suggestion, eat whatever they eat - just keep the portion size in mind. Nutrisystem, frozen meals, and other programs like that are not great because they're super healthy, it's the portion control that does it.
  • north35
    north35 Posts: 70
    Options
    I will be camping all summer and I just pack what I eat at home (with a few treats thrown in....who can resist a smore:) There are lots of heathly "convenience" food out there.....pre-washed salads and veggies........pre-packaged cheese and yogurts. Instant plan oatmeal,...Things that will be easy to pack and eat (Just really watch the ingreds ) Make sure you still drink all your water, move lots and have fun!
  • tigertown11
    tigertown11 Posts: 310
    Options
    I just think of what ever you could make at home you could make while you are camping. So what ever that meal was from nutrisystem, you can make your own healthy version of it.
    when we camp, we make everything over an open fire. We have a huge griddle and cast iron pot that we stick in the coals to make stews and soup. its a guaranteed veggies winner! and while it is cooking, we are hiking.
    Almost anything stays in a cooler. i put the containers in plastic bags and then put them in the cooler so the packaging doesn't get wet. so yogurt/gogurts keep well. and veggies and fruits keep. don't forget to drink that water when you are out in the sun.
    any other questions just write.. i have lots of camping food ideas. even healthy desserts.