Wellbutrin 150mg XL for weight loss ??

Options
my doctor prescribed me Wellbutrin 150 mg XL for weight loss has anyone else tried this ? I have really bad anxiety that is causing me to gain some weight . Any info I should know before trying this ?

Thanks !

Replies

• emodavis
    emodavis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    1) i would hope it was prescribed for the anxiety. It's one of the few antidepressants that doesn't add to weight gain but it's not an appetite suppressant.

2) I'd recommend therapy before trying meds for anxiety. Identifying the root cause of the anxiety (and why you tend to overeat when anxious, if that's what you do) is a more useful solution than meds.

3) I personally did not do well on Wellbutrin XL. Not saying it won't help you but it wasn't the right medication for me.
  • emodavis
    emodavis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You should also know that it can make anxiety worse.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm actually on this medication. it does not help you lose weight, but it does help you with depression.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    A guy I know was precribed it to help him quit smoking. He lost 50 lbs and quit smoking.

Edit: I'm not sure if he was on XL or what dose, but it was Wellbutrin
  • jensquish1
    jensquish1 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Hey! I just took my first dose of Wellbutrin today. I've tried several other medications and hope this one is the right fit. I do therapy as well now. Anyway, I think that even if it helps with weightloss it's probably only temporary help. It's not my reason for taking it and I'm not counting on it. It could be a good jump start maybe? Only time will tell I guess. I know ultimately my change in habits is what's going to give lasting results. You can add me on here if you want. Good luck!
  • bpaine0715
    bpaine0715 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed it for my anxiety. While it can make anxiety worse I have not had that issue. I haven't lost weight since I began taking it but I haven't gained any either, which to me was a good thing. :)
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin made me shaky and I couldn't sleep. It was prescribed along with zyprexa, and I gained 25 lbs in 6 weeks. The doctor then took me off the zyprexa and doubled the wellbutrin (from 150mg to 300), and I figured I would lose the weight quickly after that. Three months later, I had gained another 5 lbs, and I started counting calories. I have since discontinued the wellbutrin because I like to sleep, and I meditate for anxiety. Exercise for depression. Healthy foods to keep me from tipping too far in either direction.

Some days, I still really want to find the *right* medication, so maybe I wouldn't have to work so hard at things that seem easy for other people. For now, though, it isn't so bad to be really diligent about self care. Good luck!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    dorador wrote: »
    my doctor prescribed me Wellbutrin 150 mg XL for weight loss has anyone else tried this ? I have really bad anxiety that is causing me to gain some weight . Any info I should know before trying this ?

Thanks !
    What? Seriously? Go see an actual psychiatrist, if you have an anxiety disorder and your doctor prescribed Wellbutrin, he's doing it wrong. Wellbutrin can treat depression, but it is bad for treating anxiety disorders, unlike most other anti-depressants.
    It can definitely help with willpower and increasing your daily activity to encourage weight loss, but it won't do anything you can't.
  • dorador
    dorador Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    jensquish1 wrote: »
    Hey! I just took my first dose of Wellbutrin today. I've tried several other medications and hope this one is the right fit. I do therapy as well now. Anyway, I think that even if it helps with weightloss it's probably only temporary help. It's not my reason for taking it and I'm not counting on it. It could be a good jump start maybe? Only time will tell I guess. I know ultimately my change in habits is what's going to give lasting results. You can add me on here if you want. Good luck!

Thank you !
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Wellbutrin should not be the first medication you try for anxiety disorder. It has been shown to worsen anxiety. Please see a psychiatrist who can accurately determine the best course of treatment for your condition.

I question any doctor who prescribes an anti-depressant for weight loss. Anti-depressants can have serious side effects. They aren't something to take unless absolutely necessary.

If that's you in your profile picture, you don't look like you have much weight to lose.
  • senecarr
    Options
    Wellbutrin should not be the first medication you try for anxiety disorder. It has been shown to worsen anxiety. Please see a psychiatrist who can accurately determine the best course of treatment for your condition.

I question any doctor who prescribes an anti-depressant for weight loss. Anti-depressants can have serious side effects. They aren't something to take unless absolutely necessary.

If that's you in your profile picture, you don't look like you have much weight to lose.
    Good catch, yeah the profile doesn't look like any kind of weight a doctor should be looking at medication intervention for. Tracker says 29 pounds to lose, which might include going under a 25 BMI, I'm guessing.
  • dorador
    dorador Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes it is me lol I don't look over weight but I am
  • Nnsando
    Nnsando Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I work with medications every day and any anti depressant can make you gain weight. Every individual is different but I wouldn't count on it with aiding in weight loss. If medications are not working, maybe a self evaluation would help to get to the root of the anxiety, and different approaches to cope with anxiety other than meds.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin has weight loss as a side effect, but because of the risks the FDA did not approve it to be sold as a weight loss drug by itself. The side effect of anxiety does not affect everyone.
  • jensquish1
    jensquish1 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Wellbutrin has weight loss as a side effect, but because of the risks the FDA did not approve it to be sold as a weight loss drug by itself. The side effect of anxiety does not affect everyone.
    Agreed. In fact any med can affect one individual completely different than the next. Reading the drug insert is helpful.
  • Bunny81s
    Bunny81s Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was on these for two weeks and almost commited suicide when I decided to wean myself. A friend of mine was also on these for a few years and temporarily lost her mind. Took a while for her to come back around.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    dorador wrote: »
    Yes it is me lol I don't look over weight but I am

What's your height and weight?
  • Magenta529
    Magenta529 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have taken Wellbutrin for depression for about two years now. I only began losing weight 6 months ago after determining that it was something I needed to actively do. If you already struggle with anxiety, make sure to be very self aware when starting this drug. You may want to keep a journal so you can track your moods/thoughts and show to a dr. If needed. It takes about 6-9 weeks to fully take effect in your system and it has been known to increase anxiety levels in those who already struggle with that issue. I love Wellbutrin for an antidote to my depression, but I really don't give it any credit for my weight loss.
  • lilteddy78
    lilteddy78 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm on 300 mg of Welbutrin I take it every morning. I also take Lamictal. I am bipolar and it def doesn't help the weight loss when in a funk. What I'm trying to say is that Welbutrin works for me for my mood. I didn't expect it to help with my weight loss even if it's a known side effect. It may have helped the start of my weight loss but it was the will to want to lose that got me to lose the weight I have.
  • senecarr
    Options
    Bunny81s wrote: »
    I was on these for two weeks and almost commited suicide when I decided to wean myself. A friend of mine was also on these for a few years and temporarily lost her mind. Took a while for her to come back around.
    Stopping was inadvisable, and you were probably poorly counseled. Almost all anti-depressants increase the risk of suicide initially. People who are incredibly depressed don't even have the energy and resolved to commit suicide, so when someone starts taking anti-depressants, the increase in energy and resolve ahead of the increasing in feeling better makes this a risk. Go off of it without supervisions could make you slip back through the risk period, or leave you in a worse depressoin.