My personal "ideal" weight is still overweight according to the charts. Is this a bad thing?

Options
124»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That's exactly where I started... I'm 5'5 and used to weigh 155/156 lbs. Maybe if I was more "toned" up I would have been happier there. But if YOU feel comfortable there, that's all that matters. It's not even fat or chubby, it's a damned good size.

I'm gonna poof this very soon but this is me at 5'5 & 156 lbs.

6163288698c5e9ab4fc590e538ea2978d8f1.jpg

You look better at 156 than I do at 133 for the same height!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I would say get to your goal weight and see how you feel. As long as you're healthy at that weight and that's where you're comfortable, I don't see anything wrong with staying there. Healthy is the key word in that sentance. Go get a full physcial at your goal weight and talk to your doctor about it. Chances are, if nothing shows up wrong, you'll be just fine there.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    If you feel good and happy at 155 then do it. My original target was 10-15 lbs higher than the top of healthy BMI. I ended up losing 5 lbs finding my maintenance level. And another 10 lbs over the last 18 months attempting to recomp. Good luck
  • mrsdrshot
    mrsdrshot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support, and all of the great suggestions and opinions. In the main I feel the way that many of you do, that I should just head for the 155 goal and see how I feel once I get there. Having been down to 140 years ago and feeling miserable, I'm guessing I'll be content with the 155 and fitting back in my wardrobe, but you never know. I appreciate everyone contributing and for all of the really great stories shared. I'm impressed! Everyone's body is so different. Strong_Curves, you were rocking the 156! I'm sure you're still gorgeous at a smaller size. And HappyCampr1 - wow! Impressive! Thanks again everyone.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm an inch shorter with a large frame and 150 seems to be a good mark for me, despite what the charts say. I spent much of my adult life at that weight and looked good and never had health issues. Somehow in my late 40's I got distracted and let it creep up to 168. Life! Now at 50 I am down to 157 and I think another 7 lbs will be just fine. If you ignore how it got off track, this thread has some great advice about being comfortable, being healthy and taking BMI and the charts with a grain of salt. Good luck in your efforts!
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with @minizebu....
    I can't tell you how often I wished I only weighed what I weighed the first time (in my teens/early 20's) that I deemed myself "fat"!
    Now I weigh less than I set my goal by 12+ pounds, but my body is way different than last I weighed this amount. My proportions are far different than before child birth, hysterectomy, age, etc.
    Get to your 155 & then take a step back and reevaluate. Best of luck!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    mrsdrshot wrote: »
    Thanks for the support, and all of the great suggestions and opinions. In the main I feel the way that many of you do, that I should just head for the 155 goal and see how I feel once I get there. Having been down to 140 years ago and feeling miserable, I'm guessing I'll be content with the 155 and fitting back in my wardrobe, but you never know. I appreciate everyone contributing and for all of the really great stories shared. I'm impressed! Everyone's body is so different. Strong_Curves, you were rocking the 156! I'm sure you're still gorgeous at a smaller size. And HappyCampr1 - wow! Impressive! Thanks again everyone.

I'm 5'5", too. I thought the exact same thing you did, too. I thought that at a healthy BMI (which, for us, is 149, btw) that I'd look bad. But I went there anyway, and now I'd like to lose a bit more.

Here's a photo for reference (starting weight was 232)

ef9g0e6cys9x.jpg
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

I'm 5'5", too. I thought the exact same thing you did, too. I thought that at a healthy BMI (which, for us, is 149, btw) that I'd look bad. But I went there anyway, and now I'd like to lose a bit more.

ef9g0e6cys9x.jpg

Damm you look good...every time i see this i hope i will get the same. Specially because i am 5.5 too lol

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

ef9g0e6cys9x.jpg

Girl you look GOOD! Look at your tiny waist!!!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

ef9g0e6cys9x.jpg

Damm you look good...every time i see this i hope i will get the same. Specially because i am 5.5 too lol

Thanks <3