Over 40 year old weight loss

Options
13»

Replies

• Kazzy1812
    Kazzy1812 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and have lost 72lb so far since January. I've done it by logging everything here and also cutting right back on the carbs. X
  • kristinels
    kristinels Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm slightly conflicted over whether it's harder this time around or not. My first gut reaction was 'Hell YAH it's harder now!', but when I really consider it, perhaps not. I'm 44 now. I lost about 40 lbs over the course of 10-12 months when I was 33. Back then, I did WW (the old points system) and walked 1-2 miles a day 4-5 times a week. That's it. It worked. I kept it off for a pretty long time, but I eventually gained it all back +7lbs and started over using MFP this past February. That is to say - I also tried losing at a half-a-dozen different times over those 11 years as well by going back to the WW method. All subsequent WW attempts were not very successful. That's what convinced me I needed to track calories and excercise.

This time around, I am losing at about the same pace as I did in my early 30's and am on track to lose the 34 lbs I originally wanted to lose within about 34 weeks - so the rate of loss is pretty equivalent. However, I am finding that I need to be much more diligent in my logging than before. I weigh most of my solid foods (on occasion, I'm too rushed or lazy, so I do the 'eyeball'...) and measure liquids. And I am working out much more often and strenuously than I did in my 30's. I've also finally added in the hydration element (those pesky 8 glasses of water per day) that I never did in the past (even though WW also recommends it). So given just those things, which I was much more lackadaisical about in my 30's, it seems a bit "harder".

BUT - thanks to that increased activity through exercise, I feel like I'm in much better shape than I ever have in my life. I could not do a single push up (not even 'girly-style') when I started! Now I can do 23 in one minute. :) Did I really need it to lose? Maybe not. I originally did it because MFP only allowed me 1230 kcal a day and I really wanted to be able to eat more! Also - as rabbitjb mentioned - I watched my 90 year old grandmother sit for years on her couch at the end of her life, unable to get around and leave her own home - or even the room - without a major struggle. I don't want to experience that - I want to get myself fit now, before it's too late. In any case, at some point the exercise has morphed from something that I dreaded and did for more calories, into something I do now because I actually want to. I want to see what I'm capable of! So while it may seem like I'm having to work much harder this time, I'm better equipped to handle it now, and I think I'm reaping much more benefit from it than I did from the walking in my 30's. When I reach my goal weight, I really want to try lifting heavy. I'm working my way up to that - because I was so completely out of shape when I started... On the 'diet' front, I'm also actually eating what I want to eat and fitting it in to my calorie allotment (and trying - sometimes not so successfully - to hit my macros) whereas the first time I did 'fat-free' and 'sugar-free' and diet everything - and I pretty much gave up all sweet treats.

So all things considered - maybe not too much harder once I found what worked. It's worth it in any case OP - I hope you stick with it and find what works for you!
  • mhooge
    mhooge Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you comments. I'm not giving up, it might just take longer. I will definitely be committed to measuring and weighing my foods. I think I'm going to stick to the "everything in moderation" theory and kick up my exercise a notch. Wish me luck!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    imustdoit wrote: »
    Hello...I'm44 yrs old and I am also having problems losing weight. I have read the posts on here and I think I will be increasing my daily exercise. I am only walking right now. 2 miles a day and still no results.

Walking is good exercise and will help increase your fitness. But you still must have a calorie deficit in order to lose weight.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and have been doing CICO for about three months. I am down about 30 pounds so far and have not found it all that difficult. Using a food scale and being honest is a big key. I am sure it also helps that I lead a very physically active lifestyle so no need to worry about getting exercise into the equation. For me it really was as simple as tracking calories in vs out and maintaining a deficit.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    mhooge wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for you comments. I'm not giving up, it might just take longer. I will definitely be committed to measuring and weighing my foods. I think I'm going to stick to the "everything in moderation" theory and kick up my exercise a notch. Wish me luck!

Not measuring ...don't use cups

Only weigh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    18 months into my weight loss plan and hitting 45 this year has seen me loose 72lb. Started with a WW style app before discovering MFP, there have been a few stutters along the way but diligently weighing everything and plenty of cardio have got me to pretty much my ideal weight. I'm now working on shedding the last bit of stray body fat with strength training although my preference is using high quality resistance bands to build strength and muscle. Everyone is different and will react differently to the extremes we exert on ours body's but I firmly believe willpower overcomes age, if you want it badly enough and dedicate yourself to the pursuit of your goal then it will happen. Never been fitter or happier about how I feel and look.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm 53 and have lost 42 pounds since January. I've used nothing but MFP.
  • sharonrahmed
    sharonrahmed Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 45 years old and in peri-menopause. I have increased my exercise significantly over the past year and track my food intake. I am pre-diabetic as well and on medication for it, high BP, and high cholesterol. I have needed to lose 30 more pounds (previously lost 50+ over the course of 2 years) BUT keep gaining weight. I stay within my calorie intake (actually, below) eat a very well balanced diet (most of the time). I do some strength training but mainly cardio and I work out 5-6 times a week. Very frustrated, I've never had this much trouble getting weight off. I've read all the posts and haven't seen anything new that may help me--any suggestions??
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the responses, but are you using a food scale?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I am 45 years old and in peri-menopause. I have increased my exercise significantly over the past year and track my food intake. I am pre-diabetic as well and on medication for it, high BP, and high cholesterol. I have needed to lose 30 more pounds (previously lost 50+ over the course of 2 years) BUT keep gaining weight. I stay within my calorie intake (actually, below) eat a very well balanced diet (most of the time). I do some strength training but mainly cardio and I work out 5-6 times a week. Very frustrated, I've never had this much trouble getting weight off. I've read all the posts and haven't seen anything new that may help me--any suggestions??

Strength training? What do you do?

How are you measuring your food? If you open your diary we can have a look and see if there are any obvious logging issues if you like
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I think the second to last poster has a good point. The medicines people take around fortish slow down weightloss and speed up weight gain. I was on one years ago Elavil for sleep (though thank goodness) but it added forty pounds to my frame. Eventually I was able to go natural and get rid of this but I have to say the forty pounds are still there. It is similar with acid reflux medicine.

I also think that at a younger age, I could have lost weight just going to the gym once or twice a week. Now, it's like I need a repetitive exercise five or six times a week or the scale doesn't budge.

The dietician also pointed out that people need to eat the food fats at a 2 to 3 ratio to the unsaturated fats. So if you're eating fifty grams of fat a day, two thirds should be from good fats like olive oil. It took about a week once I started adding a teaspoon or two of olive oil to foods to see my stomach start to deflate. Good luck on your weight loss journey. Keep believing in yourself.
  • millie7275
    millie7275 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I actually believe it's an excuse. I think for some it's harder to lose because they are less active and have less musculature

The answer is to move more and lift heavy as you eat to a calorie defecit

For others it's actually easier, once you get rid of the noise of the dieting industry and just have that to focus on ...calorie defecit and working on musculature.

<< lost 55lbs (and 20 years, and asthma meds) at 47

• millie7275
    millie7275 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What other outside factors do you have? Kids? Husband? S/O? Etc?
  • mhooge
    Options
    I have a 16 year old and a 12 year old and a husband. I work full time and all house, cooking and cleaning is up to me. Does this help?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I started in JAN14 when I was 44.
    Am doing well so far.
    51637601.png

Someone on my friends list started in her 60's and has lost ~125 lb.
  • mhooge
    Options
    Awesome! Good for you!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    millie7275 wrote: »
    What other outside factors do you have? Kids? Husband? S/O? Etc?

@millie7275 I assume you were asking me as you quoted me. If you feel it relevant I have 2 children (14 and 11), a husband, a full time job, a dog, aged parents, one with failing mental health
  • FitQueen33
    FitQueen33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and just starting back on my journey. I must say what saddens me the most is my tummy has never been this big before. I have no children and my partner asked me the other day if I was pregnant (not in a nasty way...a happy way. lol I wish! Then at least I'd have an excuse for a large tummy. I went back through my eating habits over a few months and realised I'd been eating so many carbs like rice, pasta and potatos. Bad carbs! Now I eat quinoa instead, I have at least 4 healthy smoothies a week and increased my greens to increase fibre. My tummy is slowly going down and I feel less bloated. Cooking with unrefined coconut oil is great too :-)