My calories don't seem right ...

Options
So I am 5'3 age 29 need to lose 50lbs and mfp is telling me my calorie goal is 1695. This seems high to me. With the foods I am eating now it's hard to get even close. (Which is ok) I tried changing my numbers just to see if it would change my allowance and it doesn't change. Not a big deal I just want to know that this is accurate.

Replies

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising a lot?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh now?

If you input your numbers correctly then yes, your calorie goal is correct. It's based off the information you provide. Make sure your activity level is accurate.
  • mdrichardsons
    mdrichardsons Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Confused on what to put there. Is that what I want my goal to be or what I was... I was not exercising but I am now average 1 hr a day
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    So I am 5'3 age 29 need to lose 50lbs and mfp is telling me my calorie goal is 1695. This seems high to me. With the foods I am eating now it's hard to get even close. (Which is ok) I tried changing my numbers just to see if it would change my allowance and it doesn't change. Not a big deal I just want to know that this is accurate.

How many pounds do you want to lose per week? Also, are you weighing all of your solid food with a digital food scale?

If you are having trouble getting close to the calorie limit, add some calorie dense foods, like full-fat dairy, avocado, nut butters, olive oil, etc.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What do you have your activity level listed as and also can you provide your weight?
  • mdrichardsons
    Options
    I am 177 now and wasn't active when I started but I am now averaging 1 hr a day.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    I am 177 now and wasn't active when I started but I am now averaging 1 hr a day.

An hour a day of exercise? What is your day to day activity level? What sort of job do you have?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Confused on what to put there. Is that what I want my goal to be or what I was... I was not exercising but I am now average 1 hr a day

Activity level is your normal daily activity. Exercise will be separate and you will earn additional calories for it.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I average 1700 a day, currently weigh 142 at 5'4 and I'm losing weight fine (down 41 pounds so far). I do a decent amount of exercising but nothing extreme.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Exercise is extra. Activity level is do you have a desk job or are you a waitress or are you a construction worker? to determine between low and high.
  • mdrichardsons
    Options

An hour a day of exercise? What is your day to day activity level? What sort of job do you have?

Oh I was thinking exercise... So light I guess. I'm a stay at home mom depends on the day :/
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

Oh I was thinking exercise... So light I guess. I'm a stay at home mom depends on the day :/

Okay, so I'd use either sedentary or lightly active. Aim for 1lb/week loss - you'll probably end up around 1500 or so, I'd guess.
  • lissiestel
    lissiestel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am also a sahm, 5'5", and put my activity level as light. Based on my goals it recommends 1,357 calories per day. Exercise adds more (especially Zumba days!) tailored for the specific day and activity.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If it puts it into any kind of perspective for you-I'm 5'4", 29, 133 lbs, lightly active, and I eat 1600 to lose. Granted it's .5 lbs per week but that goal doesn't seem out of line for you.
  • nancyb09
    nancyb09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As much as counting calories matters it may be best to use this app just to track what you eat and how many calories you normally intake see you can get a better idea of what you can putting into your body. I'm extremely active in trying to lose weight and it has me on a 1200 cal diet but plus bonus calories for exercise and I don't really count them but I do use them to just track my daily intake
  • mdrichardsons
    Options
    Hmm ok thanks for help.... I was thinking around 1300 to 1400 there must have been some kind of glitch I was messing with it and then switched back to the way I had it and now it's telling me 1350. Weird glad I asked though.