I have drawn the line

Options
Hello, I have finally drawn the line. I have gotten too fat and too unhealthy. I don't like the way I look or the way I feel anymore.
I woke up this morning and felt compelled to push restart on my diet and exercise.
Today I transformed my garage into an area that I can work out. - I have a bench with the basics for lifting and have a bike set up for cardio.
Once upon a time I could run 5-6 miles a day, I was fit and knew how to work out. Unfortunately I never really took the time to learn how to eat healthy. Once I started college I began eating as a way to reduce stress. For the past year I thought I was floating around 290 pounds but I just weighed myself moments ago and it read 317.2 pounds. This is the heaviest I have ever been and want to do something to change that.
The problem that I faced before is that I want to lose it all NOW. I am going to try to focus on long term, and taking it at a reasonable pace and make it a lifestyle change rather than another diet.

It would really help me if someone could lay out a few meal options that I can have that are lean and easy to repeat every day. I can do this and consistency helps me tremendously.

Please and thanks!
David

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Nice recognizing.
    Eat at a caloric deficit and you will lose. You can eat what you normally do, only less. There is a recipe section here that has great ideal.
    Good luck!
  • nancyb09
    nancyb09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always meal prep and really believe in it as a healthy way to track your way. Asparagus, grilled chicken, brown rice are great options. Plain Tuna and crackers. Replacing all beef with turkey products. Vegetables for snacks. Little by little these changes will become natural habits. Good luck!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Don't panic. Don't rush. It's a slow process.
    Your first step is to buy a digital food scale, and weigh all of your solid food. Learning to eat smaller portions of the food you are already used to eating is the key to your success. As long as you keep your calorie count below the deficit number, you will lose weight. I promise.
    You can't lose it all NOW, it's a process. 2 lbs a week is the safe way to lose the weight.
    Please read the first post in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Meals that work for some probably won't work for you. For example, my breakfast usually consists of a Greek yogurt and either a banana or 8 oz. of V-8 juice. It's easy and fast. Protein shakes are popular with people as a meal replacement. I do that once in a while but need to have a snack a couple of hours later even though I make them with milk. Salads are easy to fix. I make one with spring mix, avocado, a serving of mandarin oranges, crunchy onions, and 3 oz. of rotisserie chicken. By the time I mash the avocado and toss it, it doesn't even need salad dressing. I get the rotisserie chicken legs at Costco (they aren't always available) and weigh them into three ounce servings and individually wrap and freeze them not just for salads, but sandwiches or as part of my meal. Once you get started by discovering foods that YOU like and want to stick with, the sky's the limit.
  • Blaked22
    Blaked22 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Today I did a trial run of counting my calories at least. MFP says I should be eating 1977 calories a day, and I ended up 10 calories over that. Is this an accurate calories per day goal or should I be eating more or less?
  • andrcollrvt
    andrcollrvt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Blaked22 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Today I did a trial run of counting my calories at least. MFP says I should be eating 1977 calories a day, and I ended up 10 calories over that. Is this an accurate calories per day goal or should I be eating more or less?

If you are putting your information accurately into MFP, along with your activity level (lifestyle/job, not counting exercise- that's extra) then trust what MFP gave you.
  • lissiestel
    lissiestel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think the best way is not to go lean, but to cut out added sugars, anything processed, wheat and other grains, starchy fruits and veggies (go very low carb). The other option is just whole foods (nothing processed). I am personally going very low carb (goal is 50g per day but difficult to keep it there, just stay close).
    A day may look like this (I am a 5'5" chick btw so you probably need more).
    Bfast: option 1: 3 scrambled eggs with 2 oz shredded cheddar and finely diced tomatoes, could also have ham, sausage, etc in,them, tea or coffee
    Option2: a protein shake (low carb), tea or coffee
    Morning snack: cheese stick, 1 oz almonds
    Option 2: celery sticks and natural pb
    Lunch: grilled chicken on 2 cups spinach with chopped veggies, dressing like ranch or fullfat cottage cheese on top
    Option 2: 2 pouches tuna made with a little mayo and some shredded cheese, grape tomatoes and sliced cucumbers
    Afternoon snack: veggies and goat cheese
    Option 2: veggies and guacamole
    Dinner: bag of steamed broccoli with cheese
    Option 2: grilled burger and favorite toppings on bed of lettuce, side of grilled zucchini and summer squash with a little olive oil.
    I always take water, a tuna pouch (lol), and either cheesesticks or nuts or another filling protein snack when I leave home so I don't feel tempted to hit fast food. It is hardest at first, but I am ten days in, not as hungry or with sugar crashes like before, and already feeling healthier.
  • Blaked22
    Options
    Well I appreciate all of the advice that I have been given already! Thank you all for being so welcoming!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this is my standard advice:

1. Enter stats into MFP and set for x amount of weight loss.
    2. Eat to the number that MFP gives you.
    3. get a food scale and weigh all solid foods, and as many liquids as possible.
    4. log everything
    5. make sure that you are using correct MFP database entries
    6. realize that there are no bad foods and that while the majority of foods should come from nutrient dense sources, there is nothing wrong with having pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc, as long as ones micro and macro needs are met.
    7. macro setting are typically .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs.
    8. find a form of exercise that you like and do it < not necessary for weight loss, but is for overall health and body comp.

I would also recommend the below sticky:

sidesteels guide:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Strive to hit the carbs that MFP advises.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    lissiestel wrote: »
    I think the best way is not to go lean, but to cut out added sugars, anything processed, wheat and other grains, starchy fruits and veggies (go very low carb). The other option is just whole foods (nothing processed). I am personally going very low carb (goal is 50g per day but difficult to keep it there, just stay close).
    Bfast: option 1: 3 scrambled eggs with 2 oz shredded cheddar and finely diced tomatoes, could also have ham, sausage, etc in,them, tea or coffee
    Lunch: grilled chicken on 2 cups spinach with chopped veggies, dressing like ranch or fullfat cottage cheese on top
    Option 2: 2 pouches tuna made with a little mayo and some shredded cheese, grape tomatoes and sliced cucumbers
    Option 2: grilled burger and favorite toppings on bed of lettuce, side of grilled zucchini and summer squash with a little olive oil.
    I always take water, a tuna pouch (lol), and either cheesesticks or nuts or another filling protein snack when I leave home so I don't feel tempted to hit fast food. It is hardest at first, but I am ten days in, not as hungry or with sugar crashes like before, and already feeling healthier.

Please don't try to do this. It's very difficult and completely unneccessary.
  • Blaked22
    Options
    Haha, I am so busy. I don't have time to eat that many times a day. I eat 3 meals a day and maybe have one snack between 10am-5pm.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Blaked22 wrote: »
    Haha, I am so busy. I don't have time to eat that many times a day. I eat 3 meals a day and maybe have one snack between 10am-5pm.

that list is totally unnecessary ..

you don't need to limit sugar, anything processed, wheat, etc.

Just eat in a calorie deficit, log everything, use a food scale, hit micros/macros, and find a form of exercise you enjoy….
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Or, just start with tracking calories, and from there, make whatever changes you want to stay within them and meet your macros.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Or, just start with tracking calories, and from there, make whatever changes you want to stay within them and meet your macros.

you're smart. I like you.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

lolzzz

Just eat everything but at a deficit is much easier and you lose weight just fine.
    Add some exercise and you feel amazing!

76145189.png
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    At the moment, you really can't go wrong. Pick a number between 1800-2300 and try to eat that every day for a few weeks. If you log exercise, eat back up the half of the extra calories MFP gives you IF you're hungry. Buy a scale to weigh food, track everything, and stick to it. Come back in a couple weeks and tell us how it's going, what cravings you have, what's been tough. Post it, and get ready for lots of different advice.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    At the moment, you really can't go wrong. Pick a number between 1800-2300 and try to eat that every day for a few weeks. If you log exercise, eat back up the half of the extra calories MFP gives you IF you're hungry. Buy a scale to weigh food, track everything, and stick to it. Come back in a couple weeks and tell us how it's going, what cravings you have, what's been tough. Post it, and get ready for lots of different advice.

Or no, stick to the number MFP gives you, dedicated, for a few weeks. See what your outcome is.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Wow....are we wonder why everyone is confused.