How do I calculate my Body Fat %?

Options
Hi MFP Family!

Can you please advise me on how I calculate my body fat% myself? I had it done in the gym last year with callipers etc and I was 36% (164cm, 84kg seemed right).

I am now down to 71.5kg and I recently tried 2 online calculators in which I entered various tape measurements. I came out at 24% in one, 24.6% in another.

I know I have lost a decent amount of weight but this seems too good to be true. Is it?

Unfortunately, I don't have the option to go back to the gym so any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Liv

Replies

• Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Please?!
  • losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Well...hard to do on your own which is probably why you have not gotten a lot of responses. I have a set of calipers and you can read and watch Youtube's on how to do it but it is the kind of thing that you need to practice and develop a skill for. But here's an article that might help.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/

I've done dunking and BodPod and then did calipers and then I take measurements regularly, so I know my range. But if you don't have a really reliable method as a baseline, you could end up anywhere!

• misclaire81
    misclaire81 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to do because everyone is made of different %'s of muscle and fat and bone density. There are some scales that can help you work it out, but only real way is a full body scan. I'm taking part in a study for a university here in Adelaide and part of it includes getting scanned every 4 months. I'm not sure how you'd go about it really, but all the calculations can only really be estimates. My scan showed that I'm about 42% body fat, which is just a little bit depressing, and why I'm back on the healthy route.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    Take a picture of yourself.

Compare the picture (not the live view in the mirror) to the pictures in the article below.
    http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

Try to take some pictures (possibly under a different account name if it would make things easier for you), and going with them to the Eat, Train, Progress Group. They have some instructions there on what poses to use.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Livgetfit wrote: »
    Can you please advise me on how I calculate my body fat% myself? I had it done in the gym last year with callipers etc and I was 36% (164cm, 84kg seemed right).

I am now down to 71.5kg and I recently tried 2 online calculators in which I entered various tape measurements. I came out at 24% in one, 24.6% in another.
    Liv

84 kg * 64% = 53.8

71.5 kg * 76% = 54.3

Seem about right if you maintained your lean mass.