Hula Hoop for exercise?

People have said that hula hooping helps you to get fit and loose weight. Anybody try this? If so, how long do you hula hoop in each session?

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    I have one but am having the hardest time! When I was a kid I could hula hoop from my ankles to my neck. Last time I tried, couldn't get it around my "waist" but a couple of times. I need to work on that, because I'm sure it would be a great workout.
  • kelsizukowski
    kelsizukowski Posts: 4 Member
    @atypicalsmith do you use a weighted one or regular?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    A cheap regular one. Didn't know they made weighted ones!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    I'm trying it tonight for the first time, wish me luck!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Just don't get a "diet" hula hoop. They are ridiculously painful.

All in all, it's fun, and it's burning calories, so why not.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    I saw weighted hula hoops at Walmart. I didn't notice the price because I've never been able to do it.
  • theundead
    theundead Posts: 51 Member
    They are fun, I have a fitness hoop but it is quiet heavy and hurts my back so I'm going to switch to a dance hoop.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Here's a link to the hooping group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/2763-hooping

Not terribly active, but there should be some info.

Beginner hoops are wider in diameter. You want the hoop (when placed on the floor) to reach somewhere near your belly button.

There are on-line instructions for making your own hoop with PVC tubing.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Hula hooping is fun. I have an old $5 one and it works fine. Just remember, it's not going to make you lose weight.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    I like to hula hoop if I need a bit of exercise at home. It also helps an achy back. I use a slightly weighted fitness hoop that I got at Marshall's. 2 lbs or so. I hoop for 30+ minutes at a time. You have to build up slowly or your core will be sore/bruised.

According to my HRM, I get a decent calorie burn, but if I do it daily I get in better shape fast and my heart rate goes down rapidly for the same exercise.