Healthy Cooking!!!

Options
One of the biggest problems that i'm having is my cooking style.....I'm a creature of habit and I my cooking style has always stayed the same....When I diet I just choose to change my eating habits not the family's!! I figure why torture them, but now I want everyone to start eating healthy but my cooking is sadly still the same!! Does anyone have any good receipts that are family friendly but healthy at the same time???

Thank you

Valerie

Replies

• FATGIRLFANTASY
    FATGIRLFANTASY Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Progresso Soup is always Delicious.

I make delicious smoothies, and guacamole dip made from peas :)
  • Kerriperkins
    Kerriperkins Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What is your cooking style?
  • cuerpito
    cuerpito Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I can't help much with the recipes. Most of my cooking doesn't involve recipes. I did want to say, though, that you make a valid point of trying to feed your family healthier. Your kids will benefit from getting used to some healthy habits that they will carry through the rest of their lives - something I never learned as a child. I hope you will succeed - wish you all the best!!!
  • sahlah
    sahlah Posts: 52
    Options
    What type of "standby" stuff do you normally make? That will give us something to go off of. You might also look in the recipes section of the forums. :)
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Here are my two favorite fish - my kids and husband claimed to not like fish until they tried these - they love both - my kids are 4 and 1.

Tilapia - Marinate 4 filets in 6 T EVOO, juice of one lemon, 1 crushed garlic clove, 1 T chopped fresh parsley, 1 tsp dried basil, 1/2 tsp of pepper (calls for 1/2 tsp of salt which I leave out). Bake wrapped in foil at 425 for 15 minutes.

Salmon - Marinate 1 lb of salmon (feeds 4) in 3/4 cup of Ken's Steakhouse Teriyaki marinade (has low sugar and sodium content) with 3 T of brown sugar added to marinade (so much for low sugar, eh?) Bake at 350 wrapped in foil for 25 minutes.

I serve fish with baked sweet potato, steamed brocolli or sauteed squash, zucchini, and green onion (sauteed in EVOO with a little salt and pepper to taste).

Another favorite - Chicken fajitas.

Cut chicken breasts into strips. Cook sliced onion and bell pepper strips in EVOO for a few minutes til onion is clear and add chicken. sprinkle with fajita seasoning (watch sodium). Rinse a can of black beans and heat with a can of corn on stove . Spoon chicken fajitas, bean/corn mixture over 100% whole wheat tortillas. Add Salsa (Newman's Own is low sodium) and plain greek yogurt if you're a fan of sour cream.

SO YUMMY!

May serve fajitas with optional cilantro lime rice. - Cook long grain brown rice to serve 4 based on package directions. Mix in juice of one lime and chopped fresh cilantro just before serving. Goes awesome as a side dish or in the fajitas!

Measure quantities for calories - fajitas can get big in a hurry!
  • vkrodriguez
    Options
    Im Puerto Rican so I cook a lot of Rice, beans and meat ( different kinds) I usually make this daily!
  • vkrodriguez
    Options
    Thank you I'm gonna have to give these a try!!!
  • vkrodriguez
    Options
    Rice and Chicken is almost a daily in my house!
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It is only as difficult as you make it! For example, hide shredded carrots into their fav burgers (they won't notice). If you make pasts use whole wheat, the texture is a little different, but it tastes basically the same. Try buying a Forman grill! One thing I noticed is that it is just as easy to grill my meat while I'm cooking everyone else's food some other way. Soups are ALWAYS a good choice. I will eat a lot of salads, use low fat dressing, grill meats. Maybe I'm just lucky, my husband will eat anything I cook, just have to find the time. College means a lot of premade cassarolls I freeze and sandwhiches!