MFP "macros"?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
Reaching the goal for the suggested nutrients is a bit of a challenge for me. I'm consistently well over on sugar, often under on protein, and over on fat. My fibre is generally good, and my sodium is consistently under which I assume is a good thing. My carbs seem to be right around the suggested intake. It's just those three (sugar, fat, and protein) I can't seem to level out.

I guess I don't really know how to get more protein without adding more fat, or to eat fruits and vegetables without going over on sugar. I haven't been at this very long, and I don't cook much, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Any suggestions are welcome!

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No-fat cottage cheese is protein without fat.

I eat my fruit and pay no attention to sugar. But, I limit added sugars. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    honestly, if you are just starting out, I would concentrate more on just hitting your calorie target.

A general rule of thumb:

calorie deficit for weight loss
    micro/macro adhenrence for body recomposition goals.

Unless you have a medical condition there is no reason to worry about sugar, or going over on it. Just don't let your sugar consumption blow out your deficit.

As far a stetting more protein, I would suggest lean cuts of meat, chicken, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, pork, tuna, etc.

Here is my standard advice for folks:

1. Enter stats into MFP and set for x amount of weight loss.
    2. Eat to the number that MFP gives you.
    3. get a food scale and weigh all solid foods, and as many liquids as possible.
    4. log everything
    5. make sure that you are using correct MFP database entries
    6. realize that there are no bad foods and that while the majority of foods should come from nutrient dense sources, there is nothing wrong with having pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc, as long as ones micro and macro needs are met.
    7. macro setting are typically .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs.
    8. find a form of exercise that you like and do it < not necessary for weight loss, but is for overall health and body comp.

couple stickies I would recommend:

sidesteels guide:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

how to:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1290491/how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • kiela64
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    honestly, if you are just starting out, I would concentrate more on just hitting your calorie target.

A general rule of thumb:

calorie deficit for weight loss
    micro/macro adhenrence for body recomposition goals.

Unless you have a medical condition there is no reason to worry about sugar, or going over on it. Just don't let your sugar consumption blow out your deficit.

As far a stetting more protein, I would suggest lean cuts of meat, chicken, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, pork, tuna, etc.

Here is my standard advice for folks:

1. Enter stats into MFP and set for x amount of weight loss.
    2. Eat to the number that MFP gives you.
    3. get a food scale and weigh all solid foods, and as many liquids as possible.
    4. log everything
    5. make sure that you are using correct MFP database entries
    6. realize that there are no bad foods and that while the majority of foods should come from nutrient dense sources, there is nothing wrong with having pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc, as long as ones micro and macro needs are met.
    7. macro setting are typically .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs.
    8. find a form of exercise that you like and do it < not necessary for weight loss, but is for overall health and body comp.

couple stickies I would recommend:

sidesteels guide:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

how to:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1290491/how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Thank you so much for your detailed response!

I just bought some greek yogurt. I find it very filling so I had two 1/4 cup servings during the day. I think it helped me get closer to my protein levels for sure, though I still didn't quite make the protein level (54g today though, that's one of my highest protein days!!). I had assumed it had more fat in it because of how thick it was, but I double-checked and you're right, it is very low :smiley: awesome! Eating more protein and more vegetables is a big nutrient goal for me, to improve the health of my diet.

I do want to eventually get a food scale, but because I'm just starting out I'm using measuring cups for now. I'm thinking at the moment that if I can get into healthier habits and regular exercise by December, prove I'm committed, I can get a food scale (like an Xmas gift to me lol) and up the ante.

My rule of thumb for junk-type foods is that some is okay at social functions, but if I'm buying it myself just for myself it's a problem. But also portion size (one slice of pizza is okay, five not so much).

Thank you for those links! I'm going to read them right now.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Get the scale sooner rather than later - they are $15 bucks. measuring cups are so far off you will be way off on calorie counts. I promise it's worth it.
    also read the first post in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • kiela64
    edited July 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Get the scale sooner rather than later - they are $15 bucks. measuring cups are so far off you will be way off on calorie counts. I promise it's worth it.
    also read the first post in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

Maybe November or October, but I'm still going to wait a while. I still want to get to the point where I feel confident that I'm not buying junk food/fast food. That I'm not going to give up logging, that I'm going to record everything. I understand it's extremely important, and I also understand I might not lose weight until I get a food scale. But I need to make changes slowly. I am so afraid I'm going to blow it that "investing" in something, even something cheap like that might be the obligation anxiety that makes it harder to stick to my changes. It sounds crazy maybe, but I am an extremely anxious person and the way my brain works with "obligation" is a big weird mess. I have a huge issue getting to the gym when I've said to someone in the morning that "I'm going to the gym" - thus locking me into an obligation and making me not want to go. It's crazypants, but I'm working on it. If that makes sense :) Thank you though! (also sorry if this is like the #10 on the link you sent me to! I promise I'm listening and I really appreciate your advice!)
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    It's going to be very difficult to meet your macros if you're eating mostly processed/junk food. I'd suggest not obsessing too much about your individual macros and start easing into cooking more and eating more whole foods, then looking at meeting your calorie deficit and then looking at your macros. I don't mean ignore them entirely because certainly meeting your protein and fat requirements will help you feel full. You've mentioned that you are very anxious and trying to make changes gradually and sustainably, so maybe focus on logging and eating less processed food for a while until you've got the hang of it.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »

Maybe November or October, but I'm still going to wait a while. I still want to get to the point where I feel confident that I'm not buying junk food/fast food. That I'm not going to give up logging, that I'm going to record everything. I understand it's extremely important, and I also understand I might not lose weight until I get a food scale. But I need to make changes slowly. I am so afraid I'm going to blow it that "investing" in something, even something cheap like that might be the obligation anxiety that makes it harder to stick to my changes. It sounds crazy maybe, but I am an extremely anxious person and the way my brain works with "obligation" is a big weird mess. I have a huge issue getting to the gym when I've said to someone in the morning that "I'm going to the gym" - thus locking me into an obligation and making me not want to go. It's crazypants, but I'm working on it. If that makes sense :) Thank you though! (also sorry if this is like the #10 on the link you sent me to! I promise I'm listening and I really appreciate your advice!)

Making changes by eating less overall is much more important than 'not buying junk food or fast food'. If you are still buying those foods, and weighing them, eating less of them, you will be eating in a calorie deficit and losing weight.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    It's going to be very difficult to meet your macros if you're eating mostly processed/junk food. I'd suggest not obsessing too much about your individual macros and start easing into cooking more and eating more whole foods, then looking at meeting your calorie deficit and then looking at your macros. I don't mean ignore them entirely because certainly meeting your protein and fat requirements will help you feel full. You've mentioned that you are very anxious and trying to make changes gradually and sustainably, so maybe focus on logging and eating less processed food for a while until you've got the hang of it.

This is completely inaccurate. Any person can meet macronutrients of carbs/proteins/fats eating whatever type of food you are labeling as 'processed' or 'junk' food - and it's not as if any person is eating those foods all the time. This OP is already indicating high anxiety level, and throwing this type of guilty information at her isn't going to help.
  • kiela64
    Options

I haven't purchased junk food since I've been logging. Where did you assume I'm eating junk food? I'm working hard to not buy it, and not eat it. I live at home, so while I don't cook for myself there is home cooked food. Just without quite enough protein or vegetables, which I need to add myself because my family does not want to make the same changes.

But that is exactly my goal - focus on logging and not eating junk until I feel confident in that. Once I've done that, then I can work on fine tuning things with a scale, etc. Right now it's about making healthier choices, eating more vegetables, not eating junk food, eating enough protein, etc which are areas where I'm struggling.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

OP instead of viewing the food scale as an investment in failure, maybe you should flip it around and look at it as a way to ensure that you will have success with logging, tracking your foods, and your weight loss goals.

This may sound cliche but if you think negative then you are going to fail, if you think positive you are going to succeed.

Also, as Cindy pointed out you can eat "junk" food, be in a calorie deficit, and lose weight.

I would also suggest dropping the good/bad/junk/ food mantra. Food = food it is just energy that your body uses to fuel itself.

There are no bad foods, just bad diets.
  • kiela64
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP instead of viewing the food scale as an investment in failure, maybe you should flip it around and look at it as a way to ensure that you will have success with logging, tracking your foods, and your weight loss goals.

This may sound cliche but if you think negative then you are going to fail, if you think positive you are going to succeed.

Also, as Cindy pointed out you can eat "junk" food, be in a calorie deficit, and lose weight.

I would also suggest dropping the good/bad/junk/ food mantra. Food = food it is just energy that your body uses to fuel itself.

There are no bad foods, just bad diets.

I understand, and I'd love to see it that way. But I feel like if I start buying all the fitness gadgets suggested, like a heart rate monitor and a scale, while they are certainly useful tools I want to start just shaping some habits. I feel like investing would be something that could cause me to think negatively - I'm not saying it's rational!

I understand that approach, but I've had a problem with hiding food and overeating on junk in secret. I want to just not buy it. I still think it's 100% okay to have ice cream at a birthday, cake at christmas, some chips and pizza when I'm with friends, etc as long as I don't overeat. But I think for me the best bet may be not allowing the junk food into my house. I may be wrong, but when I buy it myself I overeat and feel really awful. I don't think I have the willpower to have a bag of chips in the house and not consume it all at once, for example.
  • emodavis
    emodavis Posts: 44 Member
    Options

I understand, and I'd love to see it that way. But I feel like if I start buying all the fitness gadgets suggested, like a heart rate monitor and a scale, while they are certainly useful tools I want to start just shaping some habits. I feel like investing would be something that could cause me to think negatively - I'm not saying it's rational!

I understand that approach, but I've had a problem with hiding food and overeating on junk in secret. I want to just not buy it. I still think it's 100% okay to have ice cream at a birthday, cake at christmas, some chips and pizza when I'm with friends, etc as long as I don't overeat. But I think for me the best bet may be not allowing the junk food into my house. I may be wrong, but when I buy it myself I overeat and feel really awful. I don't think I have the willpower to have a bag of chips in the house and not consume it all at once, for example.

Oh, gosh, this and the anxiety, pretty much identical.