having a protein shake with breakfast

Options
Hello im trying to bulk eating 2500-3000 calories a day. So far iv been doing good on reaching my protein carbs and calorie intakes for the day. But i want to try eating 1000 calorie breakfast involving this:
-500 calories of actual food and
-500 calories from protein shake

I want this becuase yesterday i realized that my 1000 calorie breakfast's soduim is usually really really high (Like around 900-1000mg). So i want to know if its good to have a protein shake that has 550 calories with 500 calories of actual food. Because im passing my sodium all the time by like 500-1000mg and i don't think thats good for me. SO TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. thanks!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hello im trying to bulk eating 2500-3000 calories a day. So far iv been doing good on reaching my protein carbs and calorie intakes for the day. But i want to try eating 1000 calorie breakfast involving this:
    -500 calories of actual food and
    -500 calories from protein shake

I want this becuase yesterday i realized that my 1000 calorie breakfast's soduim is usually really really high (Like around 900-1000mg). So i want to know if its good to have a protein shake that has 550 calories with 500 calories of actual food. Because im passing my sodium all the time by like 500-1000mg and i don't think thats good for me. SO TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. thanks!

If you are asking if it is o.k. to get 500 calories in the form of a protein shake instead of "food," then answer is "yes."

The protein shake counts as food for your body.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Robotfood bulks 3000+

I would just test it out and see if it has been helping
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Good luck with that man. You're going to feel bloated as *kitten*.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I would think you would feel better drinking the protein shake, instead of eating all that high sodium food.

I have a protein shake just about daily if not one for breakfast and one after my workout at about 7:30 at night for dinner. I'd bet this will be good for you... but you won't know until you try.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    What protein shake are you drinking that contains 500 calories? Or do you add ingredients to it that amounts to 500 calories?
  • RobertDidWhat
    RobertDidWhat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    What protein shake are you drinking that contains 500 calories? Or do you add ingredients to it that amounts to 500 calories?
    Its chocolate malt Cytogainer
  • RobertDidWhat
    Options
    chelsy0587 wrote: »
    I would think you would feel better drinking the protein shake, instead of eating all that high sodium food.

I have a protein shake just about daily if not one for breakfast and one after my workout at about 7:30 at night for dinner. I'd bet this will be good for you... but you won't know until you try.

Yeah and
    chelsy0587 wrote: »

Yeah im trying to cut down on that. Today i had 1 plain bagel with 1 egg in it with yhe protein shake which added up to like around 800 calories
  • RobertDidWhat
    Options
    Good luck with that man. You're going to feel bloated as *kitten*.

I dont feel bloated at all. My cousin gets tht feeling but i have yet to get that.
  • greg88rosen
    greg88rosen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I eat 5000 calories daily at the moment.
    A shake with breakfast is fine. 3 per day is usually the goal.
    1. Breakfast
    2. Before gym
    3. After gym

Typical breakfast for me is
    3 whole eggs
    1 tbsp cheddar cheese
    Bowl of oatmeal with some jam
    1 scoop Protein shake with peanut butter
    ( 700 calories)

• moog54
    moog54 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Although I'm trying to lose weight, my diet is based around protein shakes (herbalife), I now snack on additional shakes to try raise my levels. I am struggling to meet even half the targets set for me.
  • greg88rosen
    Options
    Try not to replace meals with shakes
    They should be an addition to an already set diet

If you're trying to lose weight you'll need smaller portion meals set apart about 3 hours to keep your metabolism going

Try
    Egg whites with spinach
    Slice of toast shake with one scoop protein
    If you need extra calories add a spoon of pb to the toast or shake
    Low cal/good fat/ high protein

:)
  • jensquish1
    jensquish1 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I eat 5000 calories daily at the moment.
    A shake with breakfast is fine. 3 per day is usually the goal.
    1. Breakfast
    2. Before gym
    3. After gym

Typical breakfast for me is
    3 whole eggs
    1 tbsp cheddar cheese
    Bowl of oatmeal with some jam
    1 scoop Protein shake with peanut butter
    ( 700 calories)
    I wish I had an allowance of 5000 cals
  • Xanifur
    Xanifur Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    500 cals of protein shake seems like a ton of protein. What about using a high calorie mass gainer for the last 500 cals of your breakfast?
  • FitPhillygirl
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    Its chocolate malt Cytogainer

I love chocolate! That sounds like it would be a very filling shake.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

If you're trying to lose weight you'll need smaller portion meals set apart about 3 hours to keep your metabolism going

Try
    Egg whites with spinach

That bit is nonsense, meal timing is irrelevant and has no effect on your metabolism.

I do agree with not replacing meals with shakes though.
  • martyqueen52
    Options

Try
    Egg whites with spinach

Holy bro-science Batman!

• FitPhillygirl
    Options

Try
    Egg whites with spinach

That bit is nonsense, meal timing is irrelevant and has no effect on your metabolism.

Why not replace a meal with a shake if it fits into a persons calorie goals?
  • greg88rosen
    Options

Try
    Egg whites with spinach

Regardless if it does or doesn't, by eating smaller meals more frequently, your body is less likely to over eat which would result in more food being stored as fat. Since your eating smaller meals spread out, you aren't over stuffing your body and storing what you don't need.
  • martyqueen52
    Options

Try
    Egg whites with spinach

Regardless if it does or doesn't, by eating smaller meals more frequently, your body is less likely to over eat which would result in more food being stored as fat. Since your eating smaller meals spread out, you aren't over stuffing your body and storing what you don't need.

Wut.... ?

lol......
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Try
    Egg whites with spinach

Yeah - no way to over eat by eating more meals. :noway: