Modified Atkins aka Ketogenic Diet

Options
lorenswan
lorenswan Posts: 30 Member
My body reacts poorly to processed grains and processed sugars. My doctor suggested a Ketogenic diet which is a modified Atkins. What is the goal percentage ratio of macronutrients for someone who needs to up average protein, lower average sugar, up fats and lower carbohydrates conservatively? I've tried upping my fats before and eliminating carbs, but I ended up just gaining weight and being sluggish. I'm still fighting to loose the last of it. (9lbs) Any suggestions?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    30 grams of carbs a day or less, set protein at 0.82g per lb of body weight, the rest of your calories can be allocated to fats.
  • lorenswan
    Options
    Thanks, but I was referring to the section in Nutrition in the
    MyFitnessPal app called "Macros" where you can set your goal percentages? How should I change it? I miss my carbs goal by half (which still is too high) and meet my protein goal everyday (which is too low a goal). It reads a goal of Carbs 51%, Fats 29%, Protein 20%. How should I proceed?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The steps are 5% so pick either 5 or 10 for carbs, 25 or so for protein and the rest for fat to make 100.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    30 grams of carbs a day or less, set protein at 0.82g per lb of body weight, the rest of your calories can be allocated to fats.

30 grams of carbs? for an active person? Wow. Best of luck. Thats absurd, IMO. No way thats healthy long-term. Keep an eye on how you feel, for sure. I was doing about 150g to175g of carbs a day and that was too LITTLE being as activ as I am. My thyroid and T-levels got messed up. I added carbs(mostly good carbs of course) back into my diet and at about 200g to 250g a day, my T levels and thyroid function got back to normal.

Just saying... careful with these obscenely low carb diets.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    lorenswan wrote: »
    My body reacts poorly to processed grains and processed sugars. My doctor suggested a Ketogenic diet which is a modified Atkins. What is the goal percentage ratio of macronutrients for someone who needs to up average protein, lower average sugar, up fats and lower carbohydrates conservatively? I've tried upping my fats before and eliminating carbs, but I ended up just gaining weight and being sluggish. I'm still fighting to loose the last of it. (9lbs) Any suggestions?

I'd love to know how you or your doctor determined your body reacts poorly to processed grains and processed sugars.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My macros on the ketogenic diet are 5% carbs, 20% protein and 75% fat. My sugar is usually below 5g per day. For me that is 18g carbs, 71g protein, and 118g fat on a 1420calorie deficit. Most people find that eating over 50g of carbs in a day will take them out of ketosis, unless the carbs are used in a longer workout (over an hour or two). My carbs have hit 50g before and I stayed in ketosis, but barely.

You can buy ketostix at the dugstore to check for ketosis. They're a rough estimate but somewhat helpful.

You will probably feel less energetic (tired, headachey) for a couple of weeks while your body becomes fat adapted - keto flu. It you make sure you have adequate water, potassium, sodium, and magnesium, it will minimize the adaption symptoms. I've heard some people say they barely noticed a thing. I felt it for just over a week. It was enough to notice but not enough to change my day, but if I was working out I may have needed to cut back.

There's many people who do not agree with a LCHF (low carb high fat) diet around here, and a few of those feel the need to let others know that they disapprove. Take their comments with a grain of salt. I doubt they're read up on it.

The Low Carb Daily forum is a very helpful place to go for more info. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Good luck! :)
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have been on a keto diet for about a month after my endocrinologist (I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis) recommended I try a low carb diet (he suggested Atkins, but I had done research on keto already and he said it was fine). This is after craziness with weight gain with literally no cause (I was eating a mostly whole foods diet and exercising regularly), still having tons of symptoms even though my thyroid function (all tests, not just TSH) came back normal or even over-corrected, and my liver function all over the place with no reason (blood tests, liver ultrasound). My liver test would yoyo between normal, slightly high, normal, extremely high. I do not drink alcohol or smoke, so this was attributed to my unexplained weight gain since the plethora of blood and urine testing came back with no other causes. Also this most recent testing showed low electrolytes and high cholesterol - also with no reason. Obviously very frustrating to be doing "the right things" and still gaining weight like crazy, feeling tired all the time, having my hair fall out in clumps, super dry skin, mood swings, etc.

I limit my NET carbs to <21 per day (83g protein unless I work out and the rest fat, I think up to 173g) and after the initial "withdrawals", have been feeling pretty great and am down 15 lbs eating more calories than I did when I was eating whole foods and weighing everything to the gram. My boyfriend decided to do it with me but limits to <35 and doesn't log - he just pays attention to carb counts. He feels great also and is down 30 lbs. I should add that he hasn't had to take any medication for his heartburn/reflux after being about a week into keto. This is going from taking Prilosec religiously and having to supplement with Zantac, Pepto and Tums - really severe hearburn/reflux at night, especially. I haven't heard anything about heartburn and keto, but I think it's worth mentioning since that's the ONLY thing he's changed - he's even had a couple beers a few times which before would guarantee heartburn. We haven't really cut OUT anything specific, just searched for lower carb (but still healthy) options and we rarely eat fruit of course.

What works for some doesn't work for others, I've found - especially the calories in/calories out. Doesn't work for me.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for the custom goals area? You should be able to go to "Goals" and then the "Edit" button. But like was stated above, it only goes by increments of 5% so I set mine to the closest and since I really only have to worry about Protein and Carbs, I just remember what my actual numbers are and stick to those.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Wow really informative. Sounds like you really have some good experiences with it. Interesting :-)
  • Iggy585
    Iggy585 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic diet works great if you can stick with it. I've never lost weight faster and now I am back on it after gaining some past few months. It's not a sustainable diet long term but it's a great way to kickstart your weight loss and I used it to get over a tough plateau in the past.

Thoughts:

You really need to track what to you eat as it's ridiculously easy to go over your daily carb limit. It's extra hard if you're a carb junkie. Enter and weigh everything. Don't forget about net carbs and subtract any fiber.

You're probably going to experience at least a few days of "Keto flu" as your body adjusts. I only felt more tired and nauseous for a few days. Nothing bad but it can be worse in others.

Hard part is finding a variety of foods to eat. Most food out there is high in carbs and low in fat. Plenty of great recipes out there though. Have to eat chicken+skin drenched in full fat dressing and/or butter some days.

It's not for everyone but if you can stick with it you'll see great results.
  • gainesma
    gainesma Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm on it now 10 weeks strong and loving it. Stopped all insulin 10 weeks ago and blood sugars have never been better in the last few years. I've eliminated over 300 shots in 10 weeks. 1st 4 weeks wright loss was slow only 1/2 lb a week. But last 5 I've lost about 2 to 3lbs a week.

I find the diet very sustainable. I eat all meats, I eat green leafy vegetables only, I eat butter, v ovonut oil, peanut oil, sesame, eggs galore, home made fat chili. Its really been easy for me...

It's a lifestyle change for me though to keep me off insulin...
  • SugarPlumFairy24
    SugarPlumFairy24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Customise goals isn't working- it says it updates but it reverts back to the recommended percentages. I'm trying to keto too and made the mistake of retaking my diet profile to adjust desired weight loss which is how I found out. Its been stuck for the past week and I think others have mentioned it to support but we watch and wait for the fix.
  • astraldr0p
    astraldr0p Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out the keto reddit? They have a wealth of information on their. Also, you may want to check your macros at http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Like they said, set your activity level to Sedentary even if you are working out and your protein to 0.8g and then set your MFP goals to that :)
  • lorenswan
    Options
    Wow. This is all really excellent information. I should say that I'm not looking to really loose weight as my comfortable weight is only 3lbs less than I'm currently. But its hard for me to conceptualize psychologically having anything other than healthy fats like avocados, extra virgin olive oil, sesame oil or coconut oil. When I think of butter, cream, bacon grease or the skin on chicken I suddenly feel nauseated and my heart races. It just sounds so bad! Thanks for all of your advice.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Go to ibreatheimhungry and PLEASE make sure you drink tons of water and increase your electrolyte intake. It will help prevent the "keto flu" I was googling and came across Optimum Keto but I'm not sure about the science behind increasing protein.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Wow. This is all really excellent information. I should say that I'm not looking to really loose weight as my comfortable weight is only 3lbs less than I'm currently. But its hard for me to conceptualize psychologically having anything other than healthy fats like avocados, extra virgin olive oil, sesame oil or coconut oil. When I think of butter, cream, bacon grease or the skin on chicken I suddenly feel nauseated and my heart races. It just sounds so bad! Thanks for all of your advice.

:) LOL We get conditioned to think one way. Just a few years ago I wouldn't butter my toast because I didn't want to add the fat. Now I'd rather have the butter. LOL ;)

I still don't like the skin on poultry.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »

:) LOL We get conditioned to think one way. Just a few years ago I wouldn't butter my toast because I didn't want to add the fat. Now I'd rather have the butter. LOL ;)

I still don't like the skin on poultry.

I have always eaten the skin, but now I eat butter, too.

• Lunawatuna
    Lunawatuna Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am doing it too in the form of Banting. Prof Tim Noakes and Jonno Proudfoot.
    https://banting.realmealrevolution.com
    They advise staying away from seed oils too and of course marge to limit Omega 6.
    They have some great recipe ideas. I am trying to stay under 50g of carbs. Good luck!