What's your gym routine?

Options
Hi everyone! I'm a little lost when it comes to planning a gym session. Usually I just jog on the treadmill for a little bit and then wander aimlessly using random machines. I love using the machines but I definitely don't feel like I'm getting a good workout most days. Would any of you be willing to share your gym workout routine? Do you work on all muscle groups each day or do you split them up over the course of a week? What are the best cardio workouts to do after a strength training session?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :D

Replies

• wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I agree with you completely, when I first started I felt the same, and it wasn't very effective.

I start with cardio, 20 minutes.
    I alternate upper body on even days, lower on uneven.
    I started with the circuit machines, just going around in a circle. Now I've moved over to the free weights.
    I finish with 10 minutes of walking on the treadmill.

It works for me, but you kind of have to find your own groove.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I take a body pump class at the gym 2 - 3 times a week. That's like an hour of killer circuit training. Then 2-4 days a week I usually swim laps for an hour. It usually ends up:
    M: Body Pump
    T: Swim
    W: Body Pump
    Th: Swim
    Fri: Swim
    Saturday: Walking plus weights or swimming.
    If you can afford it, have a trainer show you a good workout you can vary. When I do weights it's usually an hour of chest and arms, or legs and back, followed by 30 minutes on the elliptical.
  • doingit4myprincesses
    doingit4myprincesses Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I usually do 20 mins on the stationary bike and then move to 20 mins on the treadmill. After that I do some sort of strength training for 15 mins. One day I do upper and the next lower and just go back and forth. Mainly making sure I don't do the same strength training machine two days in a row. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • AngelJLV83
    AngelJLV83 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have heard to always start with cardio to warm your body up and get your heart rate in the target zone. I tried to be a runner, but have terrible knee problems. I like to walk, elliptical, or bike and then I agree with the upper body on one day then lower body the next. I do crunches and ab stuff every session and I try to end on a cardio to loosen up again. Usually I end on the bike cuz I am tired by this point and sitting feels good. :) If you get tired of weight machines it is good to do push ups, pull ups, all the "old school" stuff. Squats and lunges holding wieghts are good too (I dont cuz of the knees). Good luck!!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a huge favor and the get book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler. It clearly lays out a work-out plan that only takes about 45 minutes to do, 3x a week. In addition you will do a little cardio (15-20 minutes of interval training). It is a full body work-out working multiple large muscle groups simultaneously.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book - it's changed my life (and is currently changing my body). It's divided into 7 stages of progressively more difficult/challenging work-outs and takes about 6 months to go through all 7 stages. I'm in my 2nd month and have already gotten amazing results.

I bought my copy on Amazon for about $10.
  • courtrey88
    courtrey88 Posts: 34
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice, everyone! :D
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    michelle_mareshfuehrer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I take a body pump class at the gym 2 - 3 times a week. That's like an hour of killer circuit training. Then 2-4 days a week I usually swim laps for an hour. It usually ends up:
    M: Body Pump
    T: Swim
    W: Body Pump
    Th: Swim
    Fri: Swim
    Saturday: Walking plus weights or swimming.
    If you can afford it, have a trainer show you a good workout you can vary. When I do weights it's usually an hour of chest and arms, or legs and back, followed by 30 minutes on the elliptical.

How has Body Pump been working for you? My gym offers it but I've never been!
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Sunday - Chest & Post Workout cardio
    Monday - Starved cardio then afternoon arms
    Tuesday - Off
    Wednesday - Starved cardio then afternoon shoulders
    Thursday - Off
    Friday - Starved cardio then afternoon back
    Saturday - Legs & Post Workout cardio

Add 5 mins of cardio every 2 to 3 weeks (helps avoid plateau)
    Currently at 35 mins up from 15 mins.
  • DanceYogaRun
    DanceYogaRun Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Subbing. I joined a gym today so my boys could take swim lessons there. I hope they'll stay in childcare sometimes so I can use the gym, too!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    day 1 chest and biceps + abs+ 45 minutes cardio
    day 2 back + abs +45 minutes cardio
    day 3 shoulders and triceps + abs+ 45 minutes cardio
    day 4 legs + abs+ 45 minutes of cardio.

I usually do 2-3 days weight training then have a day off, and I don't train 3 days upper body in a row. If it is day 3 and third day doing upper I will skip to legs.

Is there a trainer at your gym who could put together a program for you? If you want to know what exercises I do, let me know :)
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    How many days a week can you train, and for how long each time?

This will ultimately have more of an impact on what routine to follow than anything else.

I would argue at first it is more important to get the different workouts down, so maybe don't worry about splits and different mixes, but more about getting the exercises correct Once you have that you can then start to look at designing a plan that will suit you.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I do at least 45 minutes of cardio every day with no days off, but you might need to start off with less because I'm getting seasoned in cardio training. Make sure you vary your routine or you will get bored, I just started adding in the stair stepper and MAN does it really burn some calories. You should check it out if you haven't already. I also alternate lower body training with upper body training. Do NOT forget to implement your back on one of these alternating days, it is important to strengthen your back because is actually a very vital overlooked core muscle! (It implements good posture, and if you tighten these muscles you will tighten and tone ALL of your midsection). Also, if you're trying to tone up your abs, its okay to do ab exercises every day! Ab muscles do not follow the same rest period requirement as other muscles, they only need a 24 hour period break :)
  • gracesmile166
    gracesmile166 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    lol I used to be that girl who goes on the treadmill day after day and try those weight machines then get bored.... then after a couple days i never see results... and then i quit! LOL because going to the free weight room is intimidating! with all those guys.... eh. Or that one really really fit girl... who has washboard abs and talks to everyone... haha anyhow

But then I got a body for life book, then i read the Jilian Michaels book. And the trick is to pretty much memorize the free weight exercises in your head or... you can be like me and look like a newbie and bring a book or some exercise print outs with u.....

But anyhow once you get in a routine you will pretty much be a weight lifting genius! LOL. Sometimes my girlfriends would laugh while i try and show them an exercise move... newbs... then all the guys and gals would be looking us....

But what I do is keep it simple. This is my routine.

Monday: Is an optional 5 min warmup/ followed by high intensity cardio of 20 min. Which can be anything from the treadmill, eliptical/ or stairmaster.

So during the 20 min cardio session I do interval training which is bringing the intensity from about a 4-5 for 1 min then to a 7-8 for 2 min. so by the time it's coming to an end the high's should be around an 8-9... then i would slow down and get ur heart rate down. Yep works like a charm if you hate cardio as much as i do cause after 20 minutes i get unmotivated! and feel like a hamster...

Then you can either choose to work one body group at a time. Ex: the upper body one day, then the next lower body.
    Sometimes i like to get both out of the way if i;m unable to weight lift in the next couple days.
    because your body needs at least 24 hours to recover the muscle tissue that has been torn.

so to keep it simple here's the rest

Tuesday: Cardio

Wednesday: Lower Body

Thursday: Cardio

Friday :Upper Body

Sat: Cardio

Sun: REST DAY!

But anyhow there's like a million different ways people have their workouts scheduled it just depends on u.

But when weight lifting I love Circuit Training! Which would be alternating from upper to lower body. So that i don't have to sit around waiting as long ...

Anyhow a REP is the # of REP's in your SET. lol And depending on the person people have different amount of REP's in their SET.

so to keep this simple.... cause i'm probably confusing u.... this is what i did a couple days ago... btw i do interval training too when weight lifting

BICEP CURLS:
    SET 1: 10 REP's of 8 POUNDS

SET 2: 8 REP's of 10 POUNDS

SET 3: 6 REP's of 15 POUNDS

SET 4: 8 REP's of 10 POUNDS

SET 5: 10 REP's of 8 POUNDS

Then back to lower body:

DUMBELL SQUATS:

As u can see above set 3, is the highest amount of weight you can do then you gradually go down again.

Then i'd do chest:
    Then Calves...

so i go back an forth. it's more fun for me cause i'm always moving ! I would also just google exercise moves or youtube is cool

hmmm... hope that helps..
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    right now, i'm focusing on building muscle.

so my routine is a whole body HST workout. I go 6 times in two weeks..so basically every other day. i only do lifting.
    i do
    dead lifts
    pull ups/chins
    dips
    leg press
    calves
    leg extesions
    rows
    bench press
    lateral raises
    and like 20 captians chair leg raises for abs

after this round..i'm working on my 5s..i'm switching to a split routine. gotta change it up every blue moon. then about a month after that i'll probably go back to cutting. i'll probably lift first, then do cardio of some sort.