Am I over-ambitious/motivational help?

Okay so I'm off to uni in 2 months and I so want to gain confidence and ideally lose 1-1.5 stone by then. I have such a problem with eating, but I am so determined to reach my goal weight. Am I being over ambitious?
I keep missing my deadlines for weight loss but this time I am really trying to stay focused.
Any tips? Anyone in a similar boat to me?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    It all depends on your starting weight/stats. If you tend towards perfectionism, Google cognitive distortion and "all or nothing" thinking. I prefer behavioural goals rather than weight goals as they are better under my control. For instance you may determine to track and weigh all your food, say five out of seven days over the next couple weeks.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    I do think that goal is a little high, since you don't have that much weight to lose it's not safe to lose super quickly. A healthy goal would be 1 or maybe 1.5 pounds a week, so you could lose around 8-10 pounds in two months.

That amount of weight loss could still help you feel a lot better about yourself! I was surprised how much better I felt even after losing just a few pounds. I say there's no sense in putting it off - start now, and see how far you get by the time you head to uni. Even if you don't get as far as you want, you will have accomplished something, and that's a great way to start off the school year!

Just make sure to do it the healthy way. Eat enough food, do exercise you enjoy, make healthy choices. The most important thing is your health and happiness :)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I don't know if you could lose that much in such a short amount of time, but what I can suggest is to give up on deadlines. Start making sustainable changes now, follow through with them, and what happens happens.
  • rubyalsosays
    rubyalsosays Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you to your replies! Looking back at it, my ambitions are set a bit too high. As long as I lose some weight I'm sure it'll affect my confidence greatly!
  • Jennak87
    Jennak87 Posts: 112 Member
    I've just graduated from uni, and trust me no one will bother about your weight! Get involved in clubs and study groups. At uni, it's what you KNOW not how you look that affects people's opinion of you.

Definitely lose a bit of weight if that's what will make you feel good about yourself, but there's no need for deadlines. If you want to feel confident, familiarise yourself with the campus so you know where you're going and get a little bit of reading in before your first class and you'll do great!
  • TakingBackForever
    TakingBackForever Posts: 564 Member
    Make everyday a great one and you'll feel fabulous when you get to university regardless of if you're 8 pounds or 1 stone lighter! Everytime I set deadlines, I set myself up for failure and then I fall off the wagon. So careful!!

Good luck at Uni!