• Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Skinny fat has nothing to do with your appearance. It's a derogatory term used to define someone who hasn't used any form of physical exercise while losing weight.

No, it isn’t.
    Start a weight lifting regimen while you work on your calorie deficit and you'll have no worries.

This is good advice, however. Or lift weights without a calorie deficit, to maintain weight but lose fat.

Ladsel, you might be interested in the Skinny Fat to Fit group. Just be sure not to go underweight while trying to lose fat. If you gain muscle, you’ll tone up while maintaining a healthy weight.

Yes, it is. How isn't it a derogatory term?

because it refers to being within a normal BMI with a high percentage of body fat which still puts them at risk for obesity related health issues. Skinny Fat is another term for "Normal Weight Obesity" of which many studies have been done.

So call someone 'normal weight obese' then. Calling an overweight or obese person 'fat' is derogatory. Calling someone 'skinny fat' then, would be derogatory... follow me?

I would have to say that this is subjective, if you called me fat or obese when I was overweight neither would have had more of an effect on me, well actually obese would have probably upset me more to be honest. To me fat would just imply a little extra padding but obese has all the connotations of the illnesses associated with it.

I don't think you can categorically say that skinny fat, fat etc is derogatory because it depends on delivery, intention and the person on the receiving end.

• prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat= Someone who is low in weight or Skinny but couldn't work out a day in there life. Yes your skinny but your not healthy if you can't make it through a work out.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This whole post reeks of insecurity. I would work on that before I cared about rather than how I looked.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Don't you have to be skinny to be skinny fat?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Don't you have to be skinny to be skinny fat?
    XAZwyxa.gif

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat has nothing to do with your appearance. It's a derogatory term used to define someone who hasn't used any form of physical exercise while losing weight.

No, it isn’t.
    Start a weight lifting regimen while you work on your calorie deficit and you'll have no worries.

This is good advice, however. Or lift weights without a calorie deficit, to maintain weight but lose fat.

Ladsel, you might be interested in the Skinny Fat to Fit group. Just be sure not to go underweight while trying to lose fat. If you gain muscle, you’ll tone up while maintaining a healthy weight.

because it refers to being within a normal BMI with a high percentage of body fat which still puts them at risk for obesity related health issues. Skinny Fat is another term for "Normal Weight Obesity" of which many studies have been done.

So call someone 'normal weight obese' then. Calling an overweight or obese person 'fat' is derogatory. Calling someone 'skinny fat' then, would be derogatory... follow me?
    This is getting good.
    20cp3ykp7eft.gif
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options

No, it isn’t.

This exactly. Being overweight is condemned in our society. Calling someone "fat" is putting them in their place in the social pecking order. Person loses weight and is no longer fat (therefore implicitly rising in social status) but insecure person tries to keep them in their place, hence "skinny fat," a sneer term designed to dismiss their weight loss as somehow not good enough.

Or, one could call someone "normal weight obese" except you can't because you're not their doctor and don't actually know one way or the other.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    When I say I was "fat," I am stating a fact, not making a social judgment. And I was faaaat.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »

No, it isn’t.

This exactly. Being overweight is condemned in our society. Calling someone "fat" is putting them in their place in the social pecking order. Person loses weight and is no longer fat (therefore implicitly rising in social status) but insecure person tries to keep them in their place, hence "skinny fat," a sneer term designed to dismiss their weight loss as somehow not good enough.

Or, one could call someone "normal weight obese" except you can't because you're not their doctor and don't actually know one way or the other.

Dear god... did you not read anything we posted above? Or are you so heck-bent on being a victim that you cannot understand?

Fat is an attribute. Just like tall, short, etc. We just said that. All of this nonsense you posted is your own perception, which is keeping you in a victim mentality. All of these negative perceptions towards being fat are your OWN. Re-evaluate that for the sake of your happiness.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

No, it isn’t.

Only because you make it derogatory. Being fat is what it is. Being skinny fat is what it is. It's just like being tall, short, blue eyed, etc. It is only derogatory if you choose to believe being fat is inherently bad and therefore a negative thing to say instead of a descriptor.

I'm assuming you think being called "fat" is akin to someone calling you "lazy, slob, dirty, disgusting, no self-control, no self-respect, bad" etc. If those are the feelings that you associate with being fat, then i suggest you take a long hard look at it. That's your own perception.

Being fat is simply an attribute that results from someone eating too many calories repeatedly overtime. That's all.

QFT
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    No need to post pictures, you can't tell if someone is skinny fat by looking at pictures. "Skinny fat" is a term coined to refer to the medical term "metabolically obese normal weight," probably because the news media doesn't like saying or typing "metabolically obese normal weight." But what it implies is that you have the health risks of an obese person, even though you have a BMI less than 25.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

No, it isn’t.

Dear god... did you not read anything we posted above? Or are you so heck-bent on being a victim that you cannot understand?

Fat is an attribute. Just like tall, short, etc. We just said that. All of this nonsense you posted is your own perception, which is keeping you in a victim mentality. All of these negative perceptions towards being fat are your OWN. Re-evaluate that for the sake of your happiness.
    Are you honestly going to say no one judges or treats people any different when they're fat?
    Or heck, since you picked tall and short, do you honestly think in western societies tall and short people are treated the same?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

No, it isn’t.

Are you honestly going to say no one judges or treats people any different when they're fat?
    Or heck, since you picked tall and short, do you honestly think in western societies tall and short people are treated the same?

Right? Or even skinny.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

No, it isn’t.

Hell no they aren't. You short people can walk into any store and find clothes, even if you have to roll them up. I have to go to the freak store or a tailor.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat has nothing to do with your appearance. It's a derogatory term used to define someone who hasn't used any form of physical exercise while losing weight. Lean muscle mass is lost along with fat when weight is lost with caloric deficit and no fitness regimen is followed.

Why shouldn't being weak be something that opens people up to criticism in the same way that being overweight does?

Because people don't deserve to be criticized in a derogatory fashion, period. Helpful feedback is one thing. Negative criticism is completely unnecessary, ever.

It was a philosophical/social question, not a comment on the OPs body.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

No, it isn’t.

Hell no they aren't. You short people can walk into any store and find clothes, even if you have to roll them up. I have to go to the freak store or a tailor.

But, you people who shop at the freak store tend to have a BMR that a lot of people would love to have...
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat has nothing to do with your appearance. It's a derogatory term used to define someone who hasn't used any form of physical exercise while losing weight. Lean muscle mass is lost along with fat when weight is lost with caloric deficit and no fitness regimen is followed.

Why shouldn't being weak be something that opens people up to criticism in the same way that being overweight does?

Because people don't deserve to be criticized in a derogatory fashion, period. Helpful feedback is one thing. Negative criticism is completely unnecessary, ever.

It was a philosophical/social question, not a comment on the OPs body.

I still call BS. Not in regards to the OP, in regards to people in general. Would you criticize a disabled person who lost weight through calorie deficit, who was unable to exercise, for being weak? And I don't mean an obviously disabled person, whom you could tell was disabled by looking at visually. For instance, a person with arthritis. Or serious back issues. Or lupus. I could go on here, but I trust you get the picture...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    "Skinny fat" is just a way of calling people "fat" when they aren't. It's an oxymoron, makes no sense and is almost always used either as insult or as an excuse to lose more weight when you're already skinny or underweight..."The chart says I'm underweight, but I'm skinny-fat!"
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

No, it isn’t.

But, you people who shop at the freak store tend to have a BMR that a lot of people would love to have...
    Yeah, but that's not western society's fault. You're gonna have to blame physics or something for that one.

On that note, they should change the names to Big OR Tall.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    roxybeer wrote: »
    You should've just posted your true intentions: "I wanted to post a photo of myself in my underwear so I can be validated. VALIDATE ME."

+1