some help please

Options
zenablakeley
zenablakeley Posts: 12 Member
Hi all...i am new to the site and am really needing some real personal advice regarding my journey.
In March this year i started eating healthy 80% of the time with doing about 30 minutes exercise 3 times a week. Being a mom really can restrict ones time.
Thus far i have only lost about 5kg, i have admittedly dropped a dress size (YAY!) but i feel my weight loss has been so slow over the last 5months!
I am feeling so frustrated.
I have now incorpoarted weights into my 30 minutes a day and am trying to exercise 4 times a week instead of 3.
I joined MyFitnessPal as i realised maybe what i was eating was too much in the day (i am following a basic Paleo lifestyle).
I started here on 14 July and have not weighed myself since starting (too scared). I will weigh at month end and see what the scale says.
I really want to see the scale move down and also get fit.

Any suggestions anybody?
I am 39 year ols female.

Thanks
Z

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Thus far i have only lost about 5kg, i have admittedly dropped a dress size (YAY!) but i feel my weight loss has been so slow over the last 5 months! I am feeling so frustrated.

The less you have to lose, the more slowly it comes off. That's just the way the human body works. 11 lbs. since March is great progress. You're doing much better than you think.

Please be patient, and read the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • zenablakeley
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation and tips :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Weight loss is made in the kitchen, fitness is made in the gym. You can exercise 12 hours a day and still not lose weight if you aren't eating fewer calories than you burn on a regular basis.

@editorgrrl is absolutely correct that we lose more slowly as we get closer to a healthy weight. It's due to the fact that we simply can't create a caloric deficit as easily. We have less mass so we burn less calories for everything we do. We have to be more and more accurate with tracking what we're eating vs. what we're burning to make sure we aren't wiping out the little deficit we can create each day. This means you need to be careful with logging what you're eating and how much you're exercising. There isn't a lot of wiggle room so you want to underestimate the calories you're entering for your exercise and overestimate the calories of the food you're eating. Joining MFP is definitely a step in the right direction if you weren't tracking your food intake before. Just be sure to log absolutely everything you eat and drink that has calories; everything including vitamins and medications. Use a kitchen scale to verify portion sizes as much as you possibly can and use a heart rate monitor for cardiovascular exercise if possible. MFP's calorie burns for most activities are too large.
  • zenablakeley
    Options
    thank you ladies
    this is such a trying journey...and i am determined to get fitter and slimmer...and with the help of MFP i am sure i am now heading in the right direction...luckliy i am doing this with my hubby which makes it alot easier
    onward and upward!!!!!
  • pat0254
    pat0254 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been like a yo-yo for most of my life, therefore weight loss has almost been a lifetime problem for me. Happiness unfortunately as well as my woes, has been the culprit. When I'm happy I don't worry about the weight, and when I'm sad I just eat more and more. Luckily, then something clicks in my head and I just get motivated and usually I get the weight off. It does take commitment, but if you give it a chance and get moving...the weight does come off. Grab the right foods if you have to eat...like a cucumber.
  • zenablakeley
    Options
    i know pat0254...but u know there are many times when u just dont feel like eating that healthy snack because all you want is a pack of crisps or choc or muffin or just wotever
    so yes...will power is a huge player in this game
    i have to amit..i do have a cheat or 2 a week...but very mindful of it and definitely in moderation
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    there are many times when u just dont feel like eating that healthy snack because all you want is a pack of crisps or choc or muffin or just wotever
    so yes...will power is a huge player in this game
    i have to admit..i do have a cheat or 2 a week...but very mindful of it and definitely in moderation

I don't cheat—I log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly, and fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into my calorie goal every day. You can eat anything in moderation and still lose weight.
    pat0254 wrote: »
    When I'm happy I don't worry about the weight, and when I'm sad I just eat more and more.

If what you're feeling isn't hunger, food won't make you feel any better. Keep a mental list of non-food ways to make yourself feel better. (Mine includes guilty pleasure TV, walking outdoors, and getting a mani-pedi.) Logging will help you break the cycle of feel bad > eat more > feel bad. Logging works.