Low Carb and Iron Levels

Options
So I generally go into a cut once a year or so over the summer. I find that the most effective way is to reduce my carb intake but maintain or increase my protein and fats. I generally drop 300-400 calories per day. Last year I went to donate during this period and was borderline for acceptable iron levels. I thought it strange since red meat, leafy greens, broccoli etc were regular staples of mine during this diet. I paid it no mind and this year decided to be sure and have been taking a general multi-vitamin to supplement during my cut. I went to give blood again today and was told the same, borderline iron levels.

Has anyone else noticed a reduced iron level on low carb diets or have any backing as to what might be causing it? I tend to find that nutrient wise my diet is a lot better during this period so it seems strange that I would be lacking. I have to add that I don't know its the low carb that causes this but I do know that I don't have this problem during any other period of the year.

An thoughts, experience or input gratefully received.

Replies

• s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It sounds like diet-wise you are eating the right foods as far as iron content go. I read that calcium intake with iron intake is important since they work "together". I suppose its possible that your body is simply having trouble absorbing iron or there is something else/other condition "leeching" the iron from your body so even though you eat a lot of it your body isnt "getting it" per se.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    s2mikey wrote: »
    It sounds like diet-wise you are eating the right foods as far as iron content go. I read that calcium intake with iron intake is important since they work "together". I suppose its possible that your body is simply having trouble absorbing iron or there is something else/other condition "leeching" the iron from your body so even though you eat a lot of it your body isnt "getting it" per se.

Too much calcium can inhibit the absorption of iron. Vitamin C helps with absorption. My Dr. prescribed an iron supplement (don't try this at home) taken with a glass of orange juice.

Are you sure your multivitamin has iron? Many brands that used to include iron have dropped it. If your multivitamin doesn't have a child proof cap....there's no iron.

Spinach salad with strawberries (or citrus dressing) is my go to. Fortified cereals (not low carb) have really good iron amounts.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    s2mikey wrote: »

Fail haha. Calcium and iron should be avoided taken together. You're probs mixing it up with vitamin C which does help with absorption. OP, did you get your iron levels checked while you were on your bulk/maintenance? Grain has a lot of iron in genereal, esp cereal. So makes sense that your levels would drop a bit. I take a floradix tablet if you wanna try that out instead of the multivitamin
  • DoogCampbell
    DoogCampbell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your responses, I really appreciate the input.

So my multivitamin definitely contains iron (14mg 100% RDA) as well as Vitamin C and more importantly NO calcium. I agree that this sounds more like an uptake problem than a intake problem but its strange that the absence of carbs (and my normal carbs would be white bread, potato chips, milk, noodles) would have that effect. Especially since I never really eat cereals.

I spoke to the staff at our local health food place, they have an iron & vitamin C combo but didn't recommend taking it alongside my existing supplement. I guess the only thing to do is to try it instead for a while and see.

Does anyone have any more experience with Iron absorption? The articles I have read all suggest that in fact a low carb diet is better for things like anemia. Strange then that it works the other way.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Be careful of iron supplements. The smallest dose I found (when prescribed iron) was like 300+% of the RDA. Too much iron is toxic. Also, iron will cause constipation.

If you do the "normal" dietary things to increase your iron and you still have low iron....see a doctor to rule out other medical issues.
  • DoogCampbell
    DoogCampbell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thats exactly what the lady in the store said. Thats 2x in one day and enough of a sign that I will be getting up there and doing exactly that :) Thanks TeaBea
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Get more sun. Vitamin D is essential for iron absorption.
    My son has low iron. He has to take iron and vitamin D supplements.