Normal pain vs bad pain

Options
Hello everyone!

So I just started working out at 22. I've never been very athletic, quite the contrary. I'm extremely inflexible as well, can't even touch my toes.

I try to get more flexible doing a stretching routine of ten minutes a day. Next to that I wanted to try body weight exercises 3 times a week and the from coach potatoe to 5k running program.

So I'm two days in. Did the running on monday. However, after running, my achilles tendon was pretty sore and I had a sharp pain in lower back when I bended over forward. That made me decide to rest on the second day instead of doing bodyweight exercises.

Now it's day three and my achilles tendon is still sore.
So now I'm wondering if this is 'normal' beginner pain, or something I should get checked out. I mean, what's the difference between just sore from working out and the start of a real injury? Like I said, I'm very inflexible, so it could just be a streched muscle.

The pain is not constant, though there is a constant 'uncomfortable' feeling. (that feeling you get when you trained a muscle) When I walk, it hurts a bit, but nothing too extreme. However, when I make a wrong move, the pain intensifies.

I can handle a bit of pain and I don't want it to be an excuse to not go and workout. I don't want to injure myself either though.. So to run or not to run?

Would be nice to hear your advice and experiences!

Replies

• MissFlawed
    MissFlawed Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Oh by the way, English isn't my mother tongue so sorry if there are any mistakes in my spelling and/or grammar!
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    For me, sharp pain has always meant stop. Never hurts to get sharp or constant pain checked out by doctor. You could also try icing your both your back and your Achilles tendon a couple times a day for a few days. When you go back to exercise, instead of actually running during the jogging intervals, try walking at a faster pace. If you've never exercised before, going from nothing to running is pretty sudden change.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    MissFlawed wrote: »
    So now I'm wondering if this is 'normal' beginner pain, or something I should get checked out.

There is no normal tendon pain.

Tendons can take a few weeks to repair, so if the pain is improving, i'd probably wait on the doctor. But try to see a physical therapist for a total-body assessment. If you have back + Achilles problems, you'll likely have other issues popping up too (knee, hip, etc).

Btw, avoid uphill running for a while. It's harder on the Achilles. Downhill is ok.
  • Cricket1515
    Cricket1515 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Agree with those that say sharp pain is bad pain, and the mentality of "powering through the pain" is not helpful. Baby that heel.

BUT! (There is always a but.) There are other things you can do to make your next attempt at running more successful, such as stretching and strengthening.
  • MissFlawed
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    MissFlawed wrote: »
    So now I'm wondering if this is 'normal' beginner pain, or something I should get checked out.

There is no normal tendon pain.

Tendons can take a few weeks to repair, so if the pain is improving, i'd probably wait on the doctor. But try to see a physical therapist for a total-body assessment. If you have back + Achilles problems, you'll likely have other issues popping up too (knee, hip, etc).

Btw, avoid uphill running for a while. It's harder on the Achilles. Downhill is ok.

Sounds like a good idea, better safe than sorry he? The pain has become a bit worse, now my whole right foot seems to hurt. No running for me today!

I hope it's nothing too serious, but I will get myself checked before I continue working out. I can keep stretching (with a light warm-up), right?

Thanks for the advice!
  • MissFlawed
    Options
    Agree with those that say sharp pain is bad pain, and the mentality of "powering through the pain" is not helpful. Baby that heel.

BUT! (There is always a but.) There are other things you can do to make your next attempt at running more successful, such as stretching and strengthening.

I'll baby it :smile:, thanks!

Yeah, stretching sounds like a good idea for now. I might actually be too stiff for real exercise. Oh the wonders of sitting in front of a computer during my teenage years...

• demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Sharp pain is bad. Achy muscles are OK. If you do stretch, don't try to power through the pain or force yourself through discomfort. Be gentle and patient.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Running on a sharp pain is bad. In my opinion, generally with running it's okay if you are all over achy when new to running. If you can pinpoint specific pain it's probably better to baby it. I never had pain when running but I kept getting numb toes. I kept running anyway, cause it was just numb toes. Turns out I had stress fractures in both legs.
  • ditzylittlepixie
    ditzylittlepixie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    See if you can find some stretching or yoga routines...sharp pain is telling you to stop. You could try scaling back your workouts and building back up to what you tried. I returned to exercise after a neck injury and boy did I realise I wasn't as fit as I was before! Don't give yourself a hard time - and be patient - it might take you some time to identify what's the right level for you and progress :smile: