Logging walking/running with iOS MFP

airbent
airbent Posts: 150 Member
I did a search that wasn't too helpful; I'm sorry if this has been gone over tons of times.

Do you guys with iphones and step trackers log your walking/running, go with the MFP calorie adjustment, log both (redundant right?), or turn off that feature entirely?

This feature is new since I've come back to MFP and I'm just trying to see what works best for people. My HRM always records a higher burn than the iOS calorie adjustment records, so it's a little confusing to me. I have a Polar H7 and can't figure out how/if I can import that to MFP automatically.

Replies

• JustChristy79
    JustChristy79 Posts: 156 Member
    My step tracker was connected and it was giving me calories to eat back just from doing my daily activities & doubling up when I logged a run. I turned it off so I'm only logging actual exercise & it's only counted once.
  • kenziedriscoll
    kenziedriscoll Posts: 32 Member
    I'm bumping this because I have the same question. I've been having my phone log my jogs/walks. But I didn't realize there was a section to log your walks/jogs/runs by manually putting it in. I don't think I'm supposed to do that since my phones doing it, correct? Someone, anyone... Lol even though this post is a year old.
  • andrektan
    andrektan Posts: 196 Member
    edited June 2016
    I'm bumping this because I have the same question. I've been having my phone log my jogs/walks. But I didn't realize there was a section to log your walks/jogs/runs by manually putting it in. I don't think I'm supposed to do that since my phones doing it, correct? Someone, anyone... Lol even though this post is a year old.

If you've linked MFP to your device and it's already reflected in your steps, you shouldn't manually log walks/jogs/runs since they're already accounted for (at least when it comes to the calorie adjustment).
  • kenziedriscoll
    kenziedriscoll Posts: 32 Member
    I thought so, thank you!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    My I-Phone is linked to MFP and automatically keeps track of my steps via the health app on my phone. When I manually log in a run, at a specific start time, my I-Phone recorded steps are lowered taking into account any possible double counting. More times than not, however, I leave everything alone and just receive "credit" for my run as if they were just "steps".

In short, manually logging my run causes an adjustment to my steps, provided I put in the correct start time.
  • KSLloyd213
    KSLloyd213 Posts: 1 Member
    I like to see my steps but don't necessarily want calories added to my calorie intake total.. Is there a way to fix this ?