Strength Training for Fat Loss & Weight Loss

Options
Hey guys!

I've been so confused about this, maybe you guys can help me. I lost 120 pounds by doing cardio work and eating clean, and after the weight was gone, I pretty much toned my body with strength training. Now, I want to lose 10-30 more pounds, and I wanted to incorporate strength training. Every other time I attempted this, I gained weight and would end up backing out all together.

Is it possible to LOSE WEIGHT and BURN FAT by strength training? Have you tried this?

BTW: I count my calories.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You lose weight with a calorie deficit. If you do strength training while you're losing weight, you're more likely to lose fat instead of muscle.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Use the search feature and look up "recomp" or "recomposition".
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    You lose weight with a calorie deficit. If you do strength training while you're losing weight, you're more likely to lose fat instead of muscle.
    This. If you're eating less calories than you're burning, regardless of whether or not you're strength training, you will lose weight. If you were gaining weight before, you weren't eating at a deficit. The benefit to strength training while eating at a deficit is you'll retain more muscle so more of your loss will be from fat.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

This, and google body recomposition for other articles/discussions. I'm 10 pounds heavier than I "wanted" to be when I originally signed up (and 20-30 pounds heavier than people guess me to be, and overweight according to BMI tables), but I'm wearing a smaller size than I did in junior high. Don't let the number on the scales be the only motivator you have.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

I've been so confused about this, maybe you guys can help me. I lost 120 pounds by doing cardio work and eating clean, and after the weight was gone, I pretty much toned my body with strength training. Now, I want to lose 10-30 more pounds, and I wanted to incorporate strength training. Every other time I attempted this, I gained weight and would end up backing out all together.

Is it possible to LOSE WEIGHT and BURN FAT by strength training? Have you tried this?

This is what I've been doing since I started 8 months ago. Works just fine. I refuse to do cardio, it is literally the worst in every sense of the word.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible as others have said. As long as you eat in a deficit, you will lose weight. Strength training is my preferred form of exercise simply because I find it more fun. However, I do think adding in some cardio is very important for overall cardiovascular health. Try some HIIT for 10-20 minutes for 3 days of the week. Really good for your heart and lungs.
  • fatasstobadass
    fatasstobadass Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible as others have said. As long as you eat in a deficit, you will lose weight. Strength training is my preferred form of exercise simply because I find it more fun. However, I do think adding in some cardio is very important for overall cardiovascular health. Try some HIIT for 10-20 minutes for 3 days of the week. Really good for your heart and lungs.

thanks for this!

• fatasstobadass
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Hey guys!

This is what I've been doing since I started 8 months ago. Works just fine. I refuse to do cardio, it is literally the worst in every sense of the word.

It's horrible!! Thanks for the advice!
  • fatasstobadass
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

This, and google body recomposition for other articles/discussions. I'm 10 pounds heavier than I "wanted" to be when I originally signed up (and 20-30 pounds heavier than people guess me to be, and overweight according to BMI tables), but I'm wearing a smaller size than I did in junior high. Don't let the number on the scales be the only motivator you have.

Right. I need to break my scale obsession.
  • fatasstobadass
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

Thanks!
  • fatasstobadass
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Use the search feature and look up "recomp" or "recomposition".

Looking this up now, thanks!