The scale is my enemy!

Options
So I have one of those scales that show body fat percentage and water and weight. My body fat percentage literally changes over night. How accurate is this and it there a better way to find out?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    They aren't accurate at all; hydration levels completely throw them off.

Either get a pair of body fat calipers, or if you want more accuracy, DEXA scans or a Bod Pod.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    At best, you can use it to see trends. It works by sending a pulse up one leg and down the other, then guesstimating your upper body.

Take measurements & progress photos.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Tape measure is more reliable than bioimpedence. I also found that taking caliper measurements of the superiliac to be fairly accurate.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    They are not exactly accurate but can give you a ballpark idea. I tend to get an average of my readings on a weekly basis and go with that. I don't care that it's just an estimate as I don't need to know exactly. But averaging them from week to week helps me to see trends.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So I have one of those scales that show body fat percentage and water and weight. My body fat percentage literally changes over night. How accurate is this and it there a better way to find out?

I was ready to throw mine out the window in a few days

I record muscle mass over a week and see the average

It will show you trends if you record every morning before eating.

• positivepolli
    positivepolli Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone appreciate the help :)