Low Calorie Hacks

Options
2»

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I add either zucchini or spinach to many things--good fiber and vitamins, very minimal calories.

Many years ago, I liked to make my own jello with gelatin packets and homemade fruit juice. Juice is out of the question for me now, but I've recently discovered that I can do the same thing with a nice hibiscus tea, gelatin and Splenda. Refreshing on a hot day and no crazy dyes or fake flavorings.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I add either zucchini or spinach to many things--good fiber and vitamins, very minimal calories.

Many years ago, I liked to make my own jello with gelatin packets and homemade fruit juice. Juice is out of the question for me now, but I've recently discovered that I can do the same thing with a nice hibiscus tea, gelatin and Splenda. Refreshing on a hot day and no crazy dyes or fake flavorings.

OMG! - I'm a tea lover. Never thought of tea flavored jello

Another (old school jello hack) - Take 1 - 3 oz package of sugar free jello dissolve in 1 cup boiling water. Chill until it's egg white texture. Using a mixer, whip in 1 container (or up to 8 oz.) of unflavored yogurt and chill. Sugar free Yoplait Whips (sort of).
  • sarelbee
    sarelbee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My favourites
    Frozen banana puréed to make ice cream
    Fizzy water with sugar free squash
    Green tea (speeds up the metabolism)
    Veggies and salads to bulk up meals.
    There are some other great recipes with cauliflower including pizza crust (which I really like) and wraps.
    A spiralizer to make vegetable 'noodles' as previously suggested is great.
    Sugar free ice pops
    Frozen fruit like grapes and mango chunks, eaten still frozen
    I like fat free yoghurt in food like currys
    :)
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    there's a recipe for a protein mouse that I found:
    6 oz almond milk
    3 Tbsp egg white
    1.5 cup frozen strawberry
    3 scoops whey powder

combine together and mix with a tabletop mixer for about 6-8 minutes. (don't use a blender!)

the resulting mousse is 450-500 calories but is extremely filling. (feels like earing 1500 calories to me)

and has over 60 grams of protein
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I guess it's a "hack" but I make everything about 50% non starchy vegetables from my stews and curries, chills, burritos, burgers, casseroles, meatballs, chicken nuggets, etc. Just finely chop or shred your veggies right in.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Cut ice cream with greek yogurt to increase protein and reduce the calorie count (by using 1/2 serving of ice cream instead of a full serving). I use greek yogurt to cut the calories and increase the protein of a lot of calorie-laden or cream-based foods, really.

Sugar-free gelatin and cool whip. Not much of a hack, but it's low calorie.
  • dc1arkson
    dc1arkson Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    sarelbee wrote: »
    My favourites
    There are some other great recipes with cauliflower including pizza crust (which I really like) and wraps.
    Sugar free ice pops

I am totally with you on the frozen banana to make nicecream it's so good!
  • belle_reve9
    belle_reve9 Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    dc1arkson wrote: »
    My favourites
    Sugar free ice pops

Do you have to use a food preocessor? Can you use a blender? And how long to you mix it???
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I guess it's a "hack" but I make everything about 50% non starchy vegetables from my stews and curries, chills, burritos, burgers, casseroles, meatballs, chicken nuggets, etc. Just finely chop or shred your veggies right in.

This^

I like to add veggies wherever I can!
  • dc1arkson
    dc1arkson Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My favourites
    Sugar free ice pops

Do you have to use a food preocessor? Can you use a blender? And how long to you mix it???

I use a blender and I add two frozen bananas pre chopped before freezing for 3-4hrs some coconut milk and just blend the hell out of it.

I sometimes add a few strawberrys or any kinda berry fruit, even added a zest and juice of the lemon once which was amazing.
    There is also a bit of a thing where you add one of them low calorie sachets of sugar free hot chocolate that are usually 50cals and you have instant chocolate icecream lol
  • belle_reve9
    belle_reve9 Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    My favourites
    Sugar free ice pops

I use a blender and I add two frozen bananas pre chopped before freezing for 3-4hrs some coconut milk and just blend the hell out of it.

I sometimes add a few strawberrys or any kinda berry fruit, even added a zest and juice of the lemon once which was amazing.
    There is also a bit of a thing where you add one of them low calorie sachets of sugar free hot chocolate that are usually 50cals and you have instant chocolate icecream lol

Ok, yum. I want some NOW!!!!