Looking for new methods

Options
I've recently introduced my family to grilled red peppers, and they liked them. I'd like to continue the trend and introduce more veggies. I know my fam will not eat broccoli, two won't eat cauliflower, no one will eat brussel spouts. I,
on the other hand, will eat these and try anything else. The problem is, I don't know how to cook the others. What do I do with asparagus, or avocados, or artichokes. Or even, maybe do something new with carrots.

My question to you MFP land.... is how do you cook your veggies? And/or get your fam to eat more?

Thanks!

Replies

• The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    steam, steam, steam........except avocado, I'm not sure that would turn out good.
  • FATGIRLFANTASY
    FATGIRLFANTASY Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Try Sauteed Zucchini!! Yummerific!
  • annadilynn
    annadilynn Posts: 84
    Options
    I love steamed veggies...they just taste better... :0)
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My family love veggies - mostly raw, but also steamed, sometimes with sauces.
    I've seen some recipes on here for broilingb or baking them so they crisp and/or caramelize... sounds delish.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I spray my asparagus with Olive Oil Pam, season with salt and pepper, and squeeze half a lemon over them. Then I broil until bright green (time depends on how thick the stalks are).

I've also discovered roasting broccoli with garlic and sometimes center-cut bacon - http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1626061164/roasted-broccoli-bacon-recipe is the recipe I use, but I use a smaller amount of olive oil. My hubby hates veggies, but he loves these because of the bacon, and I use the center-cut stuff which is 70cal for 3 big slices.

I guess my other recent veggie discovery would be baked spinach chips. I've tried the kale ones too, but I like the spinach way better. Spray a baking pan with Olive Oil Pam (one of my kitchen staples), lay a flat layer of spinach, spray with the Pam, sprinkle with a teeny tiny amount of garlic salt, and bake at 275 for about 15min-ish. These are my go-to alternative for when my husband is eating fries :smile:
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Steamed, raw, boiled.

Maybe check out light recipes like Broccoli Slaw, Avocado-Stuffed Chicken, Green Tomato Chocolate Cake, Tofu Banana Chocolate Pudding, Stuffed Bell Peppers, Personal pizzas with a variety of veggies for toppings, Stuffed Mushroom Caps, Stir-fry with a bed of Brown Rice ... So many options so little time.

My family likes to have what we call a veggie meal each week. Not so unlike 'Meatless Mondays' as I have recently been made aware of. :laugh:
  • McHeather
    McHeather Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I like most vegetables tossed in olive oil and baked in the oven. I do whatever is in my fridge, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet peppers, zucchini, garlic or onion. Not carrots or cucumber though.

A great salad is all kinds of previous listed veggies - even carrots and cucumber - chopped small and mixed with olive oil and balsamic vineger. Spoon it onto some salad greens and Yummy!

My two young boys (6and 7) don't like either these, but my husband and teen daughter really like it. For my boys they get fresh cut veggies, or they really like boiled carrots. They'll eat steamed or baked broccoli and cauliflower too.
  • katie_rn
    katie_rn Posts: 40
    Options
    steaming is great, i agree, and here are some others too : avocados sliced added to deli sandwich wraps or plain sliced on toast with black pepper - carrots roasted the barefoot contessa cookbook way - corn on the cob, grilled - zucchini with butter and s&p on the grill in strips or a grill wok - raw celery with peanut butter and raisins (ants on a log anyone? :) - stir fry is a great 'clean out the fridge' of any mix you like frozen to fresh, mushrooms, greenbeans, carrots, broccoli, you name it, makes the cut for stir fry - I'm getting hungry!!
    A great book is "5 a day", a cookbook devoted to getting your veggies and fruits a day. Eat Clean also uses lots of veggies but some of the ingredients can be hard to find and my husband thinks some of it is too weird, not all recipes for picky eaters. mix up lots of colors with veggies and food, make it fun! good luck!!
  • angiembb
    angiembb Posts: 12
    Options
    I love veggies and have three kids 3 5 7 and we go and I let them pick out veggies that they want to try it does help some with them wanting to eat them.. I have to tell you that my favorite veg cooked would be sweet potato chips or wedges. Super easy and when cooked it taste like marshmallows lol. Wash your sweet potatoes and slice them (skin on) the thickness that you would like (they will shrink some) (I like mine crispy so about 1/4 in or wedges which I can use more sweet potatoes) Tell you have enough to fill out a sheet pan or cookie sheet or even two ;) ---- take a sheet pan line with foil, spray lightly with oil( canola or pam ) then place the chips flat in a single layer ----spray the top of the potatoes and put in a preheated oven 350-375 depending on your oven
    These will take around 30-45 min to bake and you don't have to turn them -- the tops will look a bit dried but for your first time you are going to want to take a peek to see the bottoms are a golden brown. Serve them warm. We dip ours in ketchup and are so yummy ;)
  • Caitie1986
    Caitie1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    raw BABY okra is actually pretty good. Also, if you can afford the calories, wrap a piece or two in bacon and try that grilled. You'll have to exercise though!