Fellow migraine sufferers

Options

Replies

• Bunna99
    Bunna99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am somewhat comforted by the fact that so many of you have mentioned muscle tightness in the neck or shoulders. I did not know that could be a trigger! And two incidences of vertigo. These are new symptoms for me within the past year. I've had migraines and tension headaches for over 20 years.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I've had migraines since around 10 yrs old, and they worsened in intensity as I got older. Mine are usually triggered by stress, hormones and low blood sugar. I had 1 last week that lasted 2 days. My doc has tried a few things on me for the last 12 years, and right now I'm on atenolol, which seems to help, but doesn't prevent them. When my migraines are bad, any kind of stimulation (noise, light, turning my head, anything really) makes me want to throw up. Luckily, I've never thrown up, though I get super nauseous. I remember the first time I had an acute attack 12 years ago and my doc gave me an imitrex shot and my brain felt like someone shocked my brain! It was horrible!

My sis-in-law suggested a chiropractor because it could mean a rib is out. I did notice that when I get them, my ribs on my right side feel bruised. I just haven't taken the time to call a chiro yet. Anyway, I do feel your pain, migraines suck!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Learn your trigger factors and control them. I cant believe that wont have a significant effect on frequency and severity.

Loads of downloadable information here
    http://www.migrainetrust.org/factsheets
  • MelissaH0910
    MelissaH0910 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've had hemiplegic migraines for 30+ years, and mine are triggered by certain foods (cheese is a huge no-no for me) stress, atmospheric changes, flashing lights, and allergies--I'm severely allergic to grass pollen, and I can count on at least one migraine every June when the pollen count is high. In my late teens & early 20's, I would get 3 - 4 migraines a week, but now in my mid-40's, I'm down to a handful a year. I used to take a variety of medications to prevent them, but I had extensive allergy testing done for another issue, and when I eliminated the things I had reactions to, my migraines slowed down considerably.

For those of you who have nausea/vomiting with your migraines: have you noticed that throwing up relieves the pressure in your head, at least for a little while?
  • meaghandyer
    meaghandyer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Throwing up always makes it feel better for a while and usually can give me the relief to fall asleep. The other weird one that helps me a lot when the headache gets unbearable is getting in the shower. I know its not the most logical place to go with the loud water noise, but the feel of the water pressure on my head helps provide some temporary relief. I can use it to keep my nausea (which is to my linked the head pain) in control until my pain killers can kick in a bit. Also I know its a bit taboo, but you would be amazed how much better suppository paracetamol (or acetaminophen/tylenol) work. The doctor explained to me that when you are that sick, even if you aren't throwing up your gut shuts down to provide blood for more vital organs, which often means that you dont absorb much of any oral medication. I can use WAY less paracetamol in a suppository form and manage through the migraine much better. Plus I have less of a medication haze the day after. I had to stop taking paracetamol when I was a teenager because the high dose I needed was giving me rebound migraines about two days after the first one. Now I can use way less and feel (relatively, it is a migraine after all) better from it.
  • balboasuze
    balboasuze Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 now and I've had migraines since I was 3. Mine are generally one sided, with aura and come with severe nausea/sickness which can very easily turn into cyclic vomiting syndrome. My triggers are many and unpredictable, like most of us :wink:

Triggers for me are 1) dehydration 2) fatigue/lack of sleep 3) tight neck/shoulders (deep tissue massage and lots of stretching work WONDERS for this) 4) hormones 5) low blood sugar 6) occasionally exercise 7) atmospheric changes 8) sometimes going from very dark into very light (like coming out of a cinema on a very sunny day).

This is my second time round of losing weight (grrrr...) so I have some perspective, migraine wise, from all sides of the process. When eating at a deficit, I find the biggest challenge is avoiding the low blood sugar which can trigger an attack - I have to be careful not to let my deficit go too low for this reason and I have to spread my calorie allowance over the day - lots of snacks. I've been experimenting with 1400 a day for a while, but my head hasn't been faring well so I think I'm going to need to up this a bit. I also find it is important for me not to exercise without eating something right before or soon after finishing, as this increases the chances of exercise induced migraine. I try to avoid lots of caffeine, not because it is a trigger, but because the painkiller which works best to relieve attacks for me has caffeine in it, so I don't like to get too used to it!

I have also learned, particularly during my childhood, to see sugary foods as a method of medication for my migraines, given the low blood sugar link. This has been a challenge when losing weight, because if I have pre/post migraine haze, it is REALLY easy to look at chocolate and plough into it because it is "medicine" rather than "food". I'm starting to win that battle now :smile:

The good thing is that when I got to a healthy weight last time round, my migraines got significantly better. Particularly when I was generally healthy and eating at maintenance levels. So I know things will get better once I'm finished losing weight, I just don't enjoy the unpredictable experience with my head while I'm losing weight...
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Have had them since grade school, complete with auras, nausea, hyper-reactive to light, scent, and sound. Triggers: hormones, perfume, ASPARTAME (it's the debbil!). Not on medication because they are no longer that frequent and can be controlled with ibuprofen if caught early.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I get them, yes. I have them as a result of a mast cell activation disorder. Lack of sleep is the biggest trigger. One really bad night, or two bad nights in a row, and it'll hit by the afternoon unless I can sneak in a nap somewhere.

Food has not had much influence on my own migraines I'd say. On headaches, definitely, but migraines not so much. But if I eat healthily, then I do seem to be more...resilient, I guess I'd say? I'll notice that I can push that envelope of how much sleep I need to have to avoid a migraine.
  • meaghandyer
    meaghandyer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    balboasuze wrote: »
    I'm 32 now and I've had migraines since I was 3. Mine are generally one sided, with aura and come with severe nausea/sickness which can very easily turn into cyclic vomiting syndrome. My triggers are many and unpredictable, like most of us :wink:

Triggers for me are 1) dehydration 2) fatigue/lack of sleep 3) tight neck/shoulders (deep tissue massage and lots of stretching work WONDERS for this) 4) hormones 5) low blood sugar 6) occasionally exercise 7) atmospheric changes 8) sometimes going from very dark into very light (like coming out of a cinema on a very sunny day).

This is my second time round of losing weight (grrrr...) so I have some perspective, migraine wise, from all sides of the process. When eating at a deficit, I find the biggest challenge is avoiding the low blood sugar which can trigger an attack - I have to be careful not to let my deficit go too low for this reason and I have to spread my calorie allowance over the day - lots of snacks. I've been experimenting with 1400 a day for a while, but my head hasn't been faring well so I think I'm going to need to up this a bit. I also find it is important for me not to exercise without eating something right before or soon after finishing, as this increases the chances of exercise induced migraine. I try to avoid lots of caffeine, not because it is a trigger, but because the painkiller which works best to relieve attacks for me has caffeine in it, so I don't like to get too used to it!

I have also learned, particularly during my childhood, to see sugary foods as a method of medication for my migraines, given the low blood sugar link. This has been a challenge when losing weight, because if I have pre/post migraine haze, it is REALLY easy to look at chocolate and plough into it because it is "medicine" rather than "food". I'm starting to win that battle now :smile:

The good thing is that when I got to a healthy weight last time round, my migraines got significantly better. Particularly when I was generally healthy and eating at maintenance levels. So I know things will get better once I'm finished losing weight, I just don't enjoy the unpredictable experience with my head while I'm losing weight...

Thanks! There were some great tips in there for during the process of weight loss. I also would medicate with chocolate because the sugar rush makes my head feel a bit sharper.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    las07s wrote: »
    I've recently been diagnosed with migraines, but have had them since I was 10 or so. Dehydration is a major trigger. Caffeine, not so much. Low quality chocolate is a bad one as well. My mother will get them randomly, and there seems to be no trigger. My sister is on a preventative medicine. Hers are triggered by bending over at the waist, chocolate, caffeine, dehydration, a hot day (Florida), or just seem to come out of nowhere. Her symptoms include confusion, memory loss (and resulting anxiety), nausea and vomiting, and loss of vision.

This seems to be a group of fellow sufferers, so I hope you don't mind if I look for some migraine answers as well. Maybe you all have experienced what I'm experiencing as well. I had been suffering from sporadic acquired horizontal nystagmus and a minute case of vertigo (the world didn't spin, I just often could not determine the position of my head on my shoulders) since early April. Last month (June 27), I had a typical aura migraine (first aura migraine for me), with loss of eyesight and peripheral aura, severe pain in the temple and pressure behind forehead and intense nausea, but many symptoms have not gone away even today. For two weeks after my migraine, I had an awful pressure behind my forehead, temples and sinuses. Even now, the pressure is a mild nagging behind my forehead, and I still have sensitivity to light. My body wass off balance (standing, walking, sitting, etc.) and my vertigo has been getting progressively worse. Three times in the past week, I have been caught unaware while sitting quietly, sleeping, and walking by severe vertigo. I have fell down while walking, and was unable to sit up on my own. It lasts about 30-45 minutes. All the time now, I have trouble concentrating. Sometimes I find myself slurring my speech like I'm drunk. My doctor has already prescribed me B12 and ferrous fumarate, since I was a bit on the lower side of the normal range according to my last blood test, and I take magnesium and probiotics. I've had a neurological exam (could not provoke nystagmus) and balance tests. The balance tests included the moving platform test, the projector screen/camera goggle test, the hot/cold air in my ear test, positional vertigo test. So far, I know that I failed the platform test (I mean, thank God for that harness) and am waiting on my projector/ear/positional vertigo test results. I'll be getting an MRI this week, and have been preemptively scheduled for vestibular therapy, just in case it's an inner ear issue. Has anybody suffered from these symptoms? How did you treat it?

I never suffered those particular symptoms other than the word slurring. I also experienced word loss and absences. This was before my migraines were treated though.

I'm glad you're getting an MRI.

What's your current treatment protocol for your migraines?

(Sorry I jumped in on this, I'll introduce myself with my story soon!)

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I get them, quite frequently, even on botox alternated with nerve block injections and daily meds and supplement cocktail. They are still better than they used to be.

I had them on and off my whole life, but the frequency really ramped up as I approached menopause. I'm one of the oddballs whose migraines increased with that life event rather than decreased.

Mine went untreated for years, because, due to childhood trauma, I had a tendency to suppress my pain response. I also have synesthesia and sort of used that to experience all but the worst of pain as shape and color. So when I complained about my migraines, my primary complaints were always about the peripheral symptoms.

Needless to say, no diagnosis was ever made.

It wasn't until reading about some other people and their migraine symptoms that I put two and two together and talked with my doctor. By then, they had increased to the point that I was experiencing absences, a sense of depersonalization, smell auras, and losing words with them.

Only the worst of the worst made pain break through and vomiting happen. My doctor sent me to a headache clinic and things have gotten much better since.

I have a lot of different triggers, many have already been mentioned. Lack of sleep, too much sleep (it's like walking a tightrope!), changing light situations, excessive heat, certain smells, looking at certain colors (I think this is my synesthesia), weather conditions. A tight neck and shoulders used to get me, but the injections from my neuro take care of that, thankfully.

I don't really have a food trigger. If I ate a disgusting amount of sugary food, I'd get a migraine, but since I'm on this site :) and have lost 50.5 pounds, that's not going to happen. I can eat a reasonable amount of sweet food and be fine.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    For anyone who is suffering from migraines and it's getting worse and there is no answer for why it's happening, I wanted to pass on the name of a disorder that can cause migraines that your doctor has likely never looked at, just in case it may help a couple people who end up reading this. I know that this is certainly not going to apply to everyone, but just offering this information up for anyone who it might help, you know? Anyone reading this, or maybe even a fellow migraine sufferer that someone reading this might know.

There's a disorder that's considered very rare (a mast cell activation disorder called mast cell activation syndrome - MCAS) that experts believe may be more 'rarely diagnosed' than actually 'rare,' because so few doctors are aware of it. The estimates I've heard is that it might affect up to 6% of the population, which is five times more than celiac disease does.

Migraines from this can be triggered by many things, although more common triggers in my experience(for those with this disorder) are from certain foods, pollen, or smells, from stress/excitement or heat or cold, or from exercise or chemical exposure.

The disorder can also cause allergy symptoms, like hives and anaphylaxis, but it doesn't ALWAYS cause that. When it does, those folks are the ones more likely to be diagnosed. The ones more likely to be missed, in my experience, are the ones who have more physical symptoms that don't involve hives and rashes and itching. Diagnostic criteria for this can be found here: http://www.wjgnet.com/2218-6204/pdf/v3/i1/1.pdf

That article has a list of symptoms in a chart part way down - people with this disorder may just have a few of the symptoms, but not all, or even most. There is literally no symptom that they 'must' have, because the disease is pretty wacked and variable when it comes to symptoms (mast cells can release over 200 substances, and symptoms vary depending on which substances are released, and what they combine together to do to the body).

If this sounds like something that rings a bell and you wish to explore it further, I'd highly recommend joining a support group and getting information on an MCAS knowledgeable doctor in your area to test you (face book has some, if you search for mcad, mcas, mast cell disorder, or mastocytosis). Even doctors who know about mast cell disorders tend to believe that MCAS requires the same testing, and will have the same results for a positive diagnosis, as a more well known disorder called mastocytosis. This is not true at all and can result in a misdiagnosis. So finding a knowledgeable doctor is important.

And not easy, unfortunately. In my state, we have a support group to keep each other informed, and we keep a list of mast cell aware doctors so people can know who to go to. We've currently only found one practice and two doctors, in the entire state, who even do the correct tests for this. So yeah...finding a knowledgeable doctor is key.

Again, sorry for those that this doesn't apply to! Just wanted to share this because this information is not likely to just pop up in regular searches, and has no drug companies advocating and spreading the word of its symptoms or existence, so some of us who have the disorder share it periodically for anyone it might benefit from the knowledge.

Hoping everybody has a good day today and NO migraines with it.
  • A_poetiq
    A_poetiq Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My triggers are that lovely time of month, chocolate, and aspartame. Aspartame contributed to my having seizures when I was a toddler and still bothers me today if I have any.

I take a preventative, which helps with about 90% of them. Definitely see your doctor. They can be a pain, but it really helps me not be down so much because of my head. The ones I get now are almost closer to a headache than what I used to experience.
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I never suffered those particular symptoms other than the word slurring. I also experienced word loss and absences. This was before my migraines were treated though.

I'm glad you're getting an MRI.

What's your current treatment protocol for your migraines?

(Sorry I jumped in on this, I'll introduce myself with my story soon!)

Hi! As of now, I take 800 mg of magnesium a day, B12, ferrous fumarate, drink lots of water (10+ cups/day), avoid chocolate and flashing lights, and sit with the lights off at the office with my monitor on the lowest back light possible (I still have light sensitivity a month later). I went off of estrogen birth control after that classic migraine, and I finally got my Mirena IUD yesterday! I am on a low sodium diet (1500~mg). I also have Midrin for when a migraine strikes. As for balance? I just try not to fall down... it doesn't always work LOL. I am super careful about turning corners or looking quickly in any direction. I'm slow to get out of chairs/bed. I also don't look down for any reason unless I am standing still. I don't stand with my feet close together or close my eyes while standing. My boyfriend is helping out as well. I can run, as long as I have something that is always in the same place in front of me, so he jogs just ahead of me so I can focus on the back of his head :blush:. So far, I've only fallen down from vertigo while running once, and 45 minutes later I was back on my feet. NBD if you think about it.

My MRI is tomorrow and I should be getting my balance test results back this week (positive thinking).
  • 123sockmonkey123
    123sockmonkey123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My triggers are hormones, dehydration (usually excessive sodium induced) & different sensory inputs. (Sights, sounds, lights, colors, smells.) I can't step foot in a bath & body works. Going to the mall, the state fair, shopping, out to eat, vacation, basically anywhere out of my normal routine will cause them. I pre-medicate with immitrex & aleve. I take aleve throughout any of these activities. Always have sunglasses on. My safety glasses @ work are even tinted. I use nuvaring for birth control & on my "off" week, I know I'll get one. They always start on the right side of my head. I can feel them right behind my eye. I've only ever had one start on the left. I hope I never that kind again. I have to get completely under my covers & get hot. I have to breathe hot air & be absolutely still. I get severe chills with mine. Vomiting & occasional nosebleeds. Jumping in the hot shower helps heat me up if I'm not too dizzy already. I think I would rather have any other type of body pain than a migraine.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Mine is chronic and started 7 years ago, left side and still feel it. I take propranolol plus 250 of magnesium daily and it keeps the pain down around a 2. hormones make it come back full power. Then I need my prescription or a shot of morphine. They are not even close to a headache. Those who have not suffered don't understand. I cannot use anything other than sugar. That includes stevia and such. All of those trigger instant severe ones. Started exercising hoping that helps too. Don't want any more drugs.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Mine are caused my MSGs, which are in most processed food. I have to be careful and read the labels because they hide them under different names. When I don't have them, I don't have migraines.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yup! I actually have them with facial paralysis when they are very bad (so much so that docs though I had a stroke at first), as well, but mine were -- unfortunately -- only triggered my hormones. Going on continuous birth control so I didn't have the usual hormone swings cleared them up. I'd occasionally get migraines still, but maybe one every few months versus the continuous week or migraine I used to have around my period.

About to go off BC completely and am not looking forward to the return of migraines.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Mine are caused my MSGs, which are in most processed food. I have to be careful and read the labels because they hide them under different names. When I don't have them, I don't have migraines.

FYI, MSG is naturally occurring and in tomatoes amongst many things.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I've gotten binary migraines since hitting puberty, so I feel your pain. They have lessened since I started taking magnesium tablets and a B complex, but I still get a few a month. Thankfully, my job is understanding and allows me to work from home on these days, but I'll be honest, I don't really get anything done. I do the required jobs and let everything else slide until I feel better.

I've tried Imitrex and the side effects were worse than the migraine. I've tried every OTC pain medicine that I could find. The only things that seem to help are ice packs on the back of my neck and forehead, a spoonful of peanut butter, and sleeping it off.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know! I'll try anything!