PB Fit & Serving Size Quesion

Options
Hello, all!

I used to use PB2 in some of my meals, but the local store doesn't sell it anymore, and thus I found PB Fit at BJ's. The serving size listed is 2 TBSP (12g). What I've noticed, however, is that 2 TBSP isn't even close to 12 grams. It's more like 30. Is that a misprint, or am I totally misinterpreting this? I should add that I use a little medicine-type measuring cup that's labeled 2 TBSP.

Thanks!
Matt

Replies

• soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Follow the grams more than the measurement. Weight is more accurate
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    claypage wrote: »
    I found PB Fit at BJ's. The serving size listed is 2 TBSP (12g). What I've noticed, however, is that 2 TBSP isn't even close to 12 grams. It's more like 30.

I should add that I use a little medicine-type measuring cup that's labeled 2 TBSP.

Weigh everything you eat—including packaged foods + anything you've been measuring with cups & spoons. You're in for quite a shock.
  • claypage
    claypage Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've been weighing stuff. This just seemed really off, and that's why I was concerned.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Recheck your food scale as it could be off a bit. I buy PB Fit from PJ's also and 2 Tbsp. comes out to exactly 12g on my food scale. Here is a pic that shows this:

c0lwoyfczhy7.jpg
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    claypage wrote: »
    Thanks! I've been weighing stuff. This just seemed really off, and that's why I was concerned.

Try weighing oatmeal one day. 1/2c... No. 1/4-1/3c if you're lucky.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My PB2 jar says the same thing. 2TBS is 30g, so I just weigh out 12g on my scale, which is a tad under a full tablespoon.
  • FitPhillygirl
    Options
    My PB2 jar says the same thing. 2TBS is 30g, so I just weigh out 12g on my scale, which is a tad under a full tablespoon.

The PB Fit jar that the OP is referring to is labelled correctly as 2 Tbsp = 12 g. It measures this exactly on my food scale so I suspect that maybe the OP food scale is off or something.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »

The PB Fit jar that the OP is referring to is labelled correctly as 2 Tbsp = 12 g. It measures this exactly on my food scale so I suspect that maybe the OP food scale is off or something.

I always thought 1TBS= 15g I guess it depends how big your tablespoons are..

• FitPhillygirl
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »

I always thought 1TBS= 15g I guess it depends how big your tablespoons are..

I always go by what the label says. In this case the label reads as 2 tablespoons being 12 g. I used my food scale initially to get this reading. Now I just use 2 table spoons full from my measuring spoons to get this reading. In my pic above it still comes out to exactly 12g.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I don't own measuring spoons. I'm assuming they're alot smaller than my regular tablespoons.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I've never even tried a measuring spoon for powdered peanut butter. That goes on the food scale for sure.
  • FitPhillygirl
    Options
    I don't own measuring spoons. I'm assuming they're alot smaller than my regular tablespoons.

I think they might be about the same. The measuring spoon that I use is probably a little deeper as you can see from this picture that I'm posting here. The one that I use is the one with the black handle. That is the one that I used with the food scale when I measured my powdered peanut butter out for the first time.
    0pak1ftjd0jz.jpg
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Yeah they look similar. I'm going to compare today. Its been ages since I've used a tbsp to measure anything. Everything gets weighed on my scale.
  • claypage
    claypage Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Any idea how I might calibrate a food scale? Otherwise, I might try using a different measuring utensil. Perhaps the medicine cup thing is off.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Try weighing something you know the exact weight of.
    I have no idea how to calibrate scales. When mine starts giving off numbers, I know it's time to change the battery
  • FitPhillygirl
    Options
    Try weighing something you know the exact weight of.
    I have no idea how to calibrate scales. When mine starts giving off numbers, I know it's time to change the battery
    This is a very good suggestion. I do the same when the number on my body weight scale becomes off and it works perfectly again once the batteries are changed.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I always thought 1TBS= 15g I guess it depends how big your tablespoons are.

Spoons and cups are measures of volume—not weight. So measuring (rather than weighing) is wildly inaccurate.

A cup of flour does not weigh the same as a cup of popcorn kernels. And no two cups of flour will ever weigh exactly the same.