When you hit maintenance, if you stopped tracking cals how long until you gained?

Options

Replies

• fatasstobadass
    fatasstobadass Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You may have to increase your workouts and move up that calorie range. It may also be your diet. Are you eating things that helping you stay full longer? Beans, proteins, etc.?
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I continue logging in maintenance and keep a close eye on everything. If I didn't, things would go bad fast :)
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The obvious answer is it depends how you start eating.

For me, I have to log at maintenance. Maybe not as strictly, but the past two times I reached it taught me that guessing does not work for me.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I hit maintenance and stopped logging for about a month. I actually lost a bit. I started logging again (well, not on weekends), and now I'm losing even more. My goal is not to log forever. I don't even know why I started again, honestly. Habit I suppose.

I think it really depends on what you learned while you were logging/weighing/tracking your food, and everyone is going to have different results based on that.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm not planning on ever stopping tracking, I like the control and flexibility it gives me
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Also, I have a three pound weight range that I want to stay around - so if I go above that, I know that I need to rein it in. The three pound range was chosen based on my typical fluctuations around my period and stuff. For some it might be a five or seven pound range.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'm not planning on ever stopping tracking, I like the control and flexibility it gives me

This. I've only been in maintenance for about 3 months but I just can't imagine stopping. I have to track.

• DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Havent hit mainteance, but I plan to continue logging, but spend much less time trying to be exact, just to get a general pinpoint on how much i consumed in a day.

But in any case, now that I have a WiFi scale especially, i don't see why i wont be weighing myself every day from here on out.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Last time, it took me five years before I got so careless that I really began to gain weight. To be successful, you need to be ready to do something if you gain just a few pounds, and you need to limit yourself to eating because you're hungry, not because it make you feel good, or whatever. Exercise is also important.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    mccindy is a mchottie. :)

With your current profile pic, that's just plain creepy-stalkerish. However, McHottie does give good advice. Carry on..
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't gain at all if I stopped tracking. I stopped tracking for 6 months in 2014 and I maintained around 173-175 lbs.

I maintained my weight at 127-133 lbs for my entire adult life, except for the last 2.5 years where other circumstances (health related) interfered. I'm only counting calories because I don't know the exact amount I'm supposed to eat to healthily *lose* weight.

If I stopped counting calories right now I'd likely maintain at around 170 lbs...

It really just depends on the person and what their lifestyle/habits are. Once I get to maintenance weight, I plan on weighing myself more often too though. If you always know what you weigh, you always know what to do to adjust activity/intake accordingly...
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    With your current profile pic, that's just plain creepy-stalkerish.

Deal with lots of creepy-stalky knights in armour, do you? :)

It's re-enactment stuff.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Even if I try my best to count calories at maintenance, I still manage to slowly gain weight back during the holidays and visiting family (not able to count calories and way too much good food). Also I'm more inclined to cheat when I know that I'm at a relatively good place weight wise. I would say unless you make really good changes to your everyday life, you'll most likely want to count to some degree when you maintain. I think another important factor is to continue to be active in some way.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    mccindy is a mchottie. :)

With your current profile pic, that's just plain creepy-stalkerish. However, McHottie does give good advice. Carry on..

Yes, yes, we should all be more cheeped out by a chivalrous knight than a man in uniform. At least she could outrun someone in full armor.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I was driving my family crazy tracking everything, it really works better when you do track everything. When I lost fifty pounds and hit my maintenance weight I decided that I was retrained on how to eat properly and I did great. Than I slacked off my running due to a renovation project. I like to drink beer when doing construction work so that didn't help. Last but not least I ate everything between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I put twenty pounds on fast. I am now running again and the pounds are coming back off. If this stops working I will start logging again. To the OP, You should give up mayo and pop tarts because nothing good is going to happen with those two around.
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I just hit goal weight on Monday so this is my first week of maintenance. I don't plan to stop tracking because I plan to someday die at my current weight! LOL
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    slp51 wrote: »
    I just hit goal weight on Monday so this is my first week of maintenance. I don't plan to stop tracking because I plan to someday die at my current weight! LOL

congratulations!
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I gained 10 lbs of the 50 lbs I lost after about 2.5 years of maintaining without counting calories. To be honest, I definitely could have continued to maintain without counting, but my life style completely changed and I didn't care enough to stop when I started to notice that I was gaining.
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I was driving my family crazy tracking everything, it really works better when you do track everything. When I lost fifty pounds and hit my maintenance weight I decided that I was retrained on how to eat properly and I did great. Than I slacked off my running due to a renovation project. I like to drink beer when doing construction work so that didn't help. Last but not least I ate everything between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I put twenty pounds on fast. I am now running again and the pounds are coming back off. If this stops working I will start logging again. To the OP, You should give up mayo and pop tarts because nothing good is going to happen with those two around.

Life without mayonnaise would be no life for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's been about 13 years. I didn't log to lose though.
    I do weigh daily and every time the scale ticks up more than a few I get much more careful.