How can I make sure I drink enough water while only being able to pee once every few hours?

Options
Sometimes I do this thing at work where I can't use the restroom unless I'm on break. I start work at 3pm, break at 5:10, then another at 8:30, and I go home at 11pm. How can I drink enough water and not have to hold my pee a lot?

Replies

• pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Just sip during work and drink more heavily before or after? Maybe not after, unless you wanna be getting out of bed every hour...

Why can't you go during work? Aren't you allowed to ask someone to cover you for 3 minutes?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I once went nine hours without peeing at work. Some jobs, you keep putting it off because there's not time. I get that.

I remember saying to someone that I hadn't peed since I left home and could she- I was going to ask her to wait, but she was like, "Go!" :)

If there isn't time to pee, there probably won't be a lot of time to drink, either. So there won't be a huge problem.

Try to work in a bathroom break when you can. Holding it for hours like that isn't good for you on a regular basis.
  • maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You've gotta be a nurse working 2nd shift! We hold it 'till we're ready to burst as we're pulled 20 ways from Sunday by a needy patient or co-worker... OR we head toward the bathroom and an hour later as a bit of pee is leaking we suddenly realize OMG, I forgot!!! I gotta go!!! Meanwhile, we know full well this not a healthy way to live!

Sorry if I'm wrong on the profession, but I can sure relate to your dilemma!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you can't go more than a couple hours without going to the bathroom, you're either drinking way too much water, or you have a relatively serious medical issue.

Drink when you're thirsty, stop when you aren't. It's really not that complicated.
  • nora_gettingfitnow
    nora_gettingfitnow Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking, Is there a specific reason why you can't take more bathroom breaks?

Water in the diet is important but holding your pee as a result is definitely not good for the body. What should happen is that over time your body becomes used to it and you won't pee as often anyway. At the start your body is just flushing itself out which is why you will go more frequent but that shouldnt last.

Are you in a job where you can carry a sports bottle with you maybe and put it down when needs be but at least you can continue to take small drinks as you go along?
    If you can't get regular bathroom breaks though, there is probably no point in trying to consume more water unless you can do it in between work shifts.

Good luck with it :wink:
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    Nurse here, too @maggiemay530! I can attest to the bursting bladder!
    I think it is more than reasonable, in any but life threatening situations, to expect to be able to use the restroom every couple of hours! This might be something to address with your supervisor. I am sure that your "boss" would not want you putting your needs or health in any compromised situation!
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    If you can't go more than a couple hours without going to the bathroom, you're either drinking way too much water, or you have a relatively serious medical issue.

Drink when you're thirsty, stop when you aren't. It's really not that complicated.

Many women prefer to be able to go to the bathroom more frequently. There is nothing unreasonable about wanting to go every 2-3 hours, and that has nothing to do with a medical issue. In fact, for women holding it for too long can lead to an increased risk of infection.
  • maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Just re-read your post and looks like you are able to go about every 3 hours... It does sound like you might have an issue with urinary frequency which can signify a problem/ on the other hand you might just have a smaller bladder than mine and need to empty out more often... I drink plenty and go approx.3-5 hours without an urge to go.
  • Tinalovesfoods
    Tinalovesfoods Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm confused by some of your responses. I am only allowed bathroom breaks at those times specified above! So I'm asking, how can I make it so that I can drink enough water without having to hold it for too long? If I drink a lot at one time sometimes because I get busy and then chug a lot, I have to pee within an hour. And sometimes I'll have to hold it for an hour or two which is too long!

Also I am not a nurse :) I work at a warehouse. and it's kind of complicated and irrelevant to this topic what that is, exactly. lol anyway People always act like I am ruining their day if I ask them to cover, so if I'm just wondering if there's a certain time I can drink water during so I'll need to pee at the right times and not have to pee during the wrong times?
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I go almost every hour. I drink a lot of fluids. Not only do I drink half my weight in water, but I also will have coffee and the occasional gatorade. I don't count gatorade as my water intake. I have always had to go often.
  • Tinalovesfoods
    Options
    yeah! its not always that I don't get to pee enough, it's not at the right times. Sometimes nothing comes out during break and then half an hour later, I have to go REALLY bad
  • Tinalovesfoods
    Options
    the thing is, us women are prone to utis by holding it too long! I don't want to get one
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it'll be difficult for us to tell you when to drink so you can pee when you have a break. It's a pretty personal thing and dependent on you/your body. You'll probably have to just experiment and see what works.

Although I'd say don't chug the water down. I know when I drink a lot quickly, I tend to need to pee shortly thereafter. Someone told me once it was because my body then anticipates a bunch more water, and wants to "make some room" but whether or not that's true, IDK. But I know when I drink a lot quickly, I'll need to go a lot.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    yiptina wrote: »
    yeah! its not always that I don't get to pee enough, it's not at the right times. Sometimes nothing comes out during break and then half an hour later, I have to go REALLY bad

How much fluid do you drink during the break?

• Tinalovesfoods
    Options
    thank you pteryndactyl... makes sense. wish there was some science i could use to figure out the best time to drink water. ive tried not drinking any for 2 hours and then chugging about an hour before I can go.
  • Tinalovesfoods
    Options
    but that doesnt work either lol... my body uses a lot of it up i guess.
  • Tinalovesfoods
    edited July 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    yiptina wrote: »

How much fluid do you drink during the break?

a lot with my food.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    OP, I would sip water throughout the day and drink more, maybe 8-10 oz, about an hour before your scheduled breaks, when you'll have a chance to go. Then drink more after work, and stop an hour or two before bedtime. Or, drink in the morning if you have an hour or so before you leave for work.

Just know that if you drink large quantities at one sitting very little of it actually ends up in your system, most of it just goes right back out again. The best way to stay hydrated is to drink smaller amounts throughout the day.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

I didn't know there was a limit to peeing times per day. You'd hate me. I drink when thirsty and I go every hour. No medical issues.

The only thing that worked for me is to not drink while at work. I've had a few jobs that refused to let people use the toilet unless they were on a scheduled break. Just do what you can to be hydrated outside of work.