Military Diet

Options
2»

Replies

• khumphries27
    khumphries27 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been on this diet for about 3 months together with using MFP and I have lost 20lbs. Whether the diet works or not, it teaches you portion control, to appreciate healthy foods, and to eat only what your body needs. I also like it because it gives me an easy meal plan 3 days a week. I understand why some things work the way they do. Grapefruit has something to do with liver, ice cream gives you calcium, etc. Do your research. Also when purchasing foods, make sure they are good for you, for instance I do not eat regular hot dogs, I eat Turkey dogs. I don't like any type of fresh fish by itself, therefore I buy fish fillets and bake them, I just make sure I keep the calories in line with the Tuna I am supplementing. The only things I don't eat on the diet are broccoli and tuna. I replace broccoli with baby spinach and tuna with fish fillet or chicken. I never ate carrots and do not like carrots (except for carrot cake, hehe)....unless they are roasted! This diet taught me that I LOVE roasted carrots! :) lol. On my off days, I am trying something new with my staying around 1200 calories, I am eating every 3 hours and it worked well last week, so I am going to try it again this week. I hope this helps! There is a lot of negativity about this diet, but there is also a lot of success!

Nothing in the military diet is a collection of healthy foods. The portions are too small for an adult. Any research using legitimate sources shows what a joke the military diet truly is.

Hmmm....It includes, protein, fruits and vegetables, moderate amount of carbs and a little bit of sweets to keep the cravings at bay...eggs, grapefruit, chicken, porkchops, turkey, tuna, fish, broccoli, carrots, bananas, apples....no need to go any further.

It includes far too few calories to provide for an adult's minimum nutrition. The food combinations are laughable. It lies about an association with the military (or GM if you use that version of the same flawed, fad diet). It is a diet that depends upon the same demographic that PT Barnum targeted.

"Hmmm" all you'd like, it won't change the facts about the "military diet". Facts, logic, and science disagree with you.

I have done my research. It is my opinion. You do not know my medical history, my height, my weight or anything else for that matter. You don't know what does and doesn't work for me. These forums are for people's opinions, support and help, not telling people they are wrong. Most people on here are struggling with weight loss (like myself) and don't need other peoples negativity. These forums are ment to be supportive. So please, if you don't have anything supportive to say, then dont.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Encouraging anyone to participate in the "military diet" is not being supportive ... it is encouraging foolish behavior and an unsafe diet plan.

I'd recommend learning the difference between supportive and enabling poor choices.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have been on this diet for about 3 months together with using MFP and I have lost 20lbs. Whether the diet works or not, it teaches you portion control, to appreciate healthy foods, and to eat only what your body needs. I also like it because it gives me an easy meal plan 3 days a week. I understand why some things work the way they do. Grapefruit has something to do with liver, ice cream gives you calcium, etc. Do your research. Also when purchasing foods, make sure they are good for you, for instance I do not eat regular hot dogs, I eat Turkey dogs. I don't like any type of fresh fish by itself, therefore I buy fish fillets and bake them, I just make sure I keep the calories in line with the Tuna I am supplementing. The only things I don't eat on the diet are broccoli and tuna. I replace broccoli with baby spinach and tuna with fish fillet or chicken. I never ate carrots and do not like carrots (except for carrot cake, hehe)....unless they are roasted! This diet taught me that I LOVE roasted carrots! :) lol. On my off days, I am trying something new with my staying around 1200 calories, I am eating every 3 hours and it worked well last week, so I am going to try it again this week. I hope this helps! There is a lot of negativity about this diet, but there is also a lot of success!

Nothing in the military diet is a collection of healthy foods. The portions are too small for an adult. Any research using legitimate sources shows what a joke the military diet truly is.

Hmmm....It includes, protein, fruits and vegetables, moderate amount of carbs and a little bit of sweets to keep the cravings at bay...eggs, grapefruit, chicken, porkchops, turkey, tuna, fish, broccoli, carrots, bananas, apples....no need to go any further.

It includes far too few calories to provide for an adult's minimum nutrition. The food combinations are laughable. It lies about an association with the military (or GM if you use that version of the same flawed, fad diet). It is a diet that depends upon the same demographic that PT Barnum targeted.

"Hmmm" all you'd like, it won't change the facts about the "military diet". Facts, logic, and science disagree with you.

I have done my research. It is my opinion. You do not know my medical history, my height, my weight or anything else for that matter. You don't know what does and doesn't work for me. These forums are for people's opinions, support and help, not telling people they are wrong. Most people on here are struggling with weight loss (like myself) and don't need other peoples negativity. These forums are ment to be supportive. So please, if you don't have anything supportive to say, then dont.

While the forums are meant to be supportive (among other things), encouraging or promoting a VLCD like this ridiculous 3 day military diet is neither supportive or allowed.

I would rather have someone tell me that I'm wrong instead of giving "support" to put my health in danger.
  • khumphries27
    khumphries27 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My health is under control, thank you for your concern. Have a blessed day.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I think I tried it once while I was in high school (I was always doing some ridiculous diet but never needed to lose any weight back then-- smh)- I seem to remember odd foods like prune juice, beets, etc. I know now it was just very very low calorie. In fact I don't think I could finish it because I started feeling sick by day two. I also seem to remember that there was a kind of disclaimer that it was not meant to be a lasting weight loss- to only do this to get into that special outfit or something like that. And to expect to gain weight back afterwards, which makes sense.

I think it's kind of funny that it's now called the "military diet"- I have known people in the military and they said that there is tons of all kinds of food- and they eat everything and all they want. My husband said that when he was in basic training it was the best food he ever had and I'm sure he could put it away. Why is it called military diet? No one in the military would do it- they are way too physically active to even survive on that little food.
  • dgaleggos
    dgaleggos Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm going to do this diet
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    dgaleggos wrote: »
    Yes I'm going to do this diet

Because you saw so much supportive info in this thread about the long term sustainability of this program?