Sports Bras

Options

Replies

• ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I wear a sports bra underneath a tank or tee at the gym or exercising outdoors. If I am working out in the privacy of my own home, I might forego an extra layer on top. I would never wear an additional bra under a sports bra (who needs the extra laundry?)

I would consider wearing just the sports bra in a particularly hot sweaty class (such as bike am yoga) and in my younger days (back in the 90s, pre-kids) I did sometimes wear just a sports bra and shorts to a step class (the classes were almost always exclusively female, u would not have been comfortable wearing just a bra top in other parts if the gym).

I would not run to the supermarket in just a sports bra (or a bikini...which I have seen here in Florida)...aside from it being inappropriate, it is just too darn cold. I would run down to the end of my driveway to pick up the mail in a sports bra or bikini (I figure most of my neighbors gave seen me at the community pool)
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    i have this combo from panache and one day i might work up the nerve to wear it in public ..like at a superhero race or something :laugh:

ultimate-sports-bra-rwb-502.jpg

I have the same bra! I love it!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Sports bra as an undergarment. A good quality sports bra shouldn't mean wearing 2 bras (although I know some ladies who would say otherwise due to size etc)

I'm 'well endowed' and highly recommend Lululemon for sports bras. Especially the TaTa Tamer. Pricey but definitely worth it. 1.5 years of hiking, mountain biking, snowboarding, swimming and these babies lasted the entire time - longer actually.

A good investment to ensure proper support! Plus they look great for when a shirt does come off for any reason.... like that one time I fell off a low ropes course and my shirt got ripped off...

I'm still too fat to buy from Lululemon, and have a philosophical objection to spending money at a store whose CEO publicly stated that only women with a thigh gap are worthy of his clothes.

At the moment I'm a 38DD bra size but I'm hoping as I lose weight that my proportions will change so that I can fit a band/cup combo with a single D or smaller, just because it is easier to find bras in C or D than in DD.

I was just on LuluLemon website to check sports bra sizes and prices. After reading good ratings on the clothing, I was sad to see the largest size carried in sports bras is a 38DD. I'll continue to wear my sports bra and regular bra. Depending on what I am doing, I can determine if I need one or 2 and which brand to wear.

OP - Sports bras are underwear
  • Eleanor_82
    Eleanor_82 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think I used to get mixed up in sports shops between the more functional sports bras and the flimsier, but generally prettier, crop tops which you probably could wear by themselves. When I'm slimmer I'd love to wear a nice crop top to something low impact like yoga but for now I keep it all underneath my workout tops.

Also if you're in the UK, Marks and Spencers do surprisingly great sports bras for high impact fitness and running for larger sizes.
  • bluejade16
    bluejade16 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Go by the appearance of your nipples. :laugh:

Agreed! Personally I go by comfort. It gets too hot? Whoop, the shirt comes off. If being in just that sports bra helps me push myself to new heights, heck yes it is coming off. But even if you just want to parade around in a sports bra, I think you should be able to do it.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I've only ever worn mine under a vest or t-shirt. But then, I prefer to be covered up and I don't do any sports in a particularly hot or humid environment - I live in England so even in the summer I doubt I'd ever really be tempted to run in my bra, and I don't do bikram yoga or anything. I haven't seen anyone in my gym wearing one without a top but obviously that's a sample size of one.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I guess I just haven't found the right sports bra yet. Every one I have tried on isn't as supportive as my regular bra so I just wear a reg wired bra. My test is when I try on a sports bra I run in place in the fitting room. I've tried alot of styles and price points so far and can't a good supportive one.
    Any suggestions? I wear a 36 D.
    Thanks!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    i have this combo from panache and one day i might work up the nerve to wear it in public ..like at a superhero race or something :laugh:

ultimate-sports-bra-rwb-502.jpg

Oooh, that's awesome...I kind of want that as a swimsuit!

And, as Panache is one of the only 2 companies that actually makes my size....WHEE!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    spfldpam wrote: »
    I guess I just haven't found the right sports bra yet. Every one I have tried on isn't as supportive as my regular bra so I just wear a reg wired bra. My test is when I try on a sports bra I run in place in the fitting room. I've tried alot of styles and price points so far and can't a good supportive one.
    Thanks!

Get a good fitting? Measure carefully. I couldn't find one that did the trick until I actually got the right size. Most women wear a band too big and a cup too small...so, if you are at the store, try a 34DD or even a 32DDD/E/F (depends on sizing)
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    That panache set is adorable.

I did get a decorative sports bra recently. I've been wearing it under a muscle-tank that has a mesh upper-back, so you get glimpses of the fact there's a cool piece of fabric underneath but it's not like going outside in your underwear.
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Non sports bras can be lacey and very pretty, but we're not walking around with a bra alone. If it's super duper hot I may just go with a sportsbra, but 99% of the time it's under something.

Lulu tata tamer is a good bra, but also Moving Comfort, CWX and Enell offer GREAT bras for larger breasted women. You don't need to go monoboob, but you do want them to be well supported and not all over the place for hi-impact. Movement is fine, uncontrolled movement or pain is not fine.
  • HillOE
    Options
    What I mean is, yes there are pretty sports bras out there, but they aren't designed to be worn solo exclusively. So buy pretty for yourself, but wear it under a tank or a T for your comfort.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have one of these:
    yt5hsnjijvnn.jpg

I'm not 100% sure, but the design looks to be made to wear without a top over. That said, the only time I workout in just a sports bra and shorts is at home.
  • spfldpam
    Options
    I ended up buying a Moving Comfort sports bra and love it at a locally owned running store . It is the one with wires in it. Mia is the style name I think. It was $46 and then I got 20% off it.
    spfldpam wrote: »
    Thanks!

• HillOE
    Options
    36D - Try the Moving Comfort Fiona or the Lulu Tata Tamer - both come in 36D. The Fiona saw me through a number of long course trialthons - so a long swim and running in a wet (sweaty) bra and still held up the girls 6 hours later without chafe. I did an IM in the tata tamer and that worked well too. Boobs were the first to cross the finish line. lol..
  • spfldpam
    Options
    I ended up getting a 36 C after I tried on the Moving Comfort Mia style. It works great!
    Thanks for all the suggestions on here!
    HillOE wrote: »
    36D - Try the Moving Comfort Fiona or the Lulu Tata Tamer - both come in 36D. The Fiona saw me through a number of long course trialthons - so a long swim and running in a wet (sweaty) bra and still held up the girls 6 hours later without chafe. I did an IM in the tata tamer and that worked well too. Boobs were the first to cross the finish line. lol..

• HillOE
    Options
    lol, I hope you did find something after this long! I didn't realize the original post was so old. Well, never hurts to bump a post about good fitting bras.
  • rscunu
    rscunu Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    Undergarment. Personally, I think it's inappropriate unless you're competing or doing some super endurance sport.

I agree, undergarment.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Hey it's still good to get additional opinions on this. There are new designs out every year.
  • moondrake
    moondrake Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would not go about wearing just a sport bra, regardless of how good I looked in it. I wouldn't go about in a bikini top unless I was swimming. I do wear sport bras under a tshirt or swimsuit for water sports as I haven't met the swimming gear that can handle DDs. I also wear a sport bra when I am in the position to have to change clothes with limited or no privacy. But while I don't mind being seen in a sport bra for the few minutes it takes to change clothes, I wouldn't be comfortable walking around like that.