how do you know when to quit

Options
When you're working out, do you have a certain amount of time/sets that you do before you quit or is it how exhausted you feel? I've been doing a workout video that is mostly focused on weights, but at the end, I feel like I have "more" to keep going. Should I just stop because the video is over, or throw some cardio on the end there until I'm tired?
New to this, and yes, I read the stickies. Didn't really cover this. I am working out to have more energy, be stronger, and hopefully lose weight (and yes, I am eating a calorie deficit).

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I do a structured program, so when I'm done with it-I stop. Throwing in some cardio can't hurt I'm sure.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I'm on custom programming. I'm done when I've done all my sets and reps on any given day. I'll stop earlier if something is hurting. But the only thing I will add on is an extra round of my correctives - small bodyweight movements to fix some specific imbalances.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Just because you don't feel tired after working out, that doesn't necessarily mean that you haven't had an intense workout. At the same time, unless the video was made specifically for you, it should be received as a general guide. If you have been using the video and haven't been tired at all, have you made consistent progress in strength, endurance and recovery? If you haven't, you might consider amending your workout so that it better suits your needs and goals at this time.

What kind of weightlifting are you doing? What is your goal?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's not one day your worry about; it's the toll taken on an accumulated number of days. It adds up and will hit you over the head a some point when you're not looking.

If you're new to this, I'd suggest following the program as written for a while (even a DVD cardio program) until you have a better idea what's up.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Endorphins from exercise may make you feel like you could keep going and going, but you may still have done plenty. I have several times stopped exercising feeling like I could keep going, and a few hours later I'm sore and exhausted.
  • GWehsling
    GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    As some have said, I'd consider sticking to the program and making incremental increases each week to what is required, if the program already does not do this. The trouble is, if you go too hard, you can injur yourself and find that you cannot do any training for a few weeks while you recover.

If you follow the program exactly, in time, you will be able to judge better where you are and what to look for in completion and recovery. Also, as mentioned, if the program is not specifically for you, it may not be for you, but again, you'll only know this after a few weeks of what is required.

Good luck, and I'd say, stick to it.
  • jamiebowling89
    jamiebowling89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think its resistance training? Like I use weights, but very small ones (5lb) so its not trying to bulk up or anything. Idk. I'm going to have to look more into it, bc I don't know what the exercises are called.
    My goals: lift and play with my kids without getting tired after 10 minutes, and without feeling like my arms are going to fall off. Hike in the mountains without my legs feeling like they are going to fall off (my husband is outdoorsy). Have sex on top without giving up and saying "I'm tired, your turn!" Lol

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I think its resistance training? Like I use weights, but very small ones (5lb) so its not trying to bulk up or anything. Idk. I'm going to have to look more into it, bc I don't know what the exercises are called.
    My goals: lift and play with my kids without getting tired after 10 minutes, and without feeling like my arms are going to fall off. Hike in the mountains without my legs feeling like they are going to fall off (my husband is outdoorsy). Have sex on top without giving up and saying "I'm tired, your turn!" Lol

Take a look again at the video and the specifics of what you are doing exercise wise etc. That way one of us can better comment on your situation.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I follow a program as designed. There are a number of times when I felt my legs or arms just burn and was just able to complete the last few reps. After a quick shower I always feel like maybe I could have done more. But when I really reflect back on how those last reps felt I can assure myself that I pushed it to my limit. Our body plays some amazing tricks on us after a few minutes of rest. In reality I am positive that adding another set or some more reps would result in failed lifts and frustration.