Intermittent fasting

Options
Hi! I'm just starting with intermittent fasting and would like to hear from others who are trying it! What do you eat and how much? When do you eat? Just general information...I'm still learning lol.

I'm really enjoying it. Today is day 7 and I'm down 5 pounds :)

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I suggest to repost in this MFP group
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
    You can also find them at the Group option at the dark blue banner above
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • gorgeousgirl1983
    gorgeousgirl1983 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey!! Welcome!! Me too I'm in the same boat trying to transition into intermittent fasting as a new way of eating, right now I'm looking to make my eating window 16/8 fasting starting at either 10am-6pm or Noon to 8pm
    I'm sticking to the 1200 cals on MFP and tracking my food
    I'm also a part of the fasting group on MFP just joined
  • naxeea
    naxeea Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi it's so good to see people are taking up intermittent fast,I have been following it for past 2 month and happy with the result.I eat 500 cal on my fast days and eat normal on normal days.workout 3-4 times a week.Feel free to add.
  • andrearrollo
    andrearrollo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! Thanks for the responses. I also posted it in the other IMF group. So far I am loving it. I'm fasting for 20 and eating for 4 each day and have been really successful. I let myself eat from 5-9pm, basically when I get home from work until bedtime.

I haven't really had any trouble wih the fasting, which is a great surprise. So far I truly enjoy everything about it!
  • Sirius_12
    Sirius_12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! Thanks for the responses. I also posted it in the other IMF group. So far I am loving it. I'm fasting for 20 and eating for 4 each day and have been really successful. I let myself eat from 5-9pm, basically when I get home from work until bedtime.

I haven't really had any trouble wih the fasting, which is a great surprise. So far I truly enjoy everything about it!
    How long have you been doing it? Does it get easier over time? If I fasted until 5, I would be afraid I would be so hungry I would be out of control.
  • anickm757
    anickm757 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey! Never heard about this ?! Can u explain plzzz. I only have about 10 lbs to lose.. Tks!!
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    anickm757 wrote: »
    Hey! Never heard about this ?! Can u explain plzzz. I only have about 10 lbs to lose.. Tks!!

You pick a certain time that you don't eat, for example 5am-12pm (plus sleeping) and eat the rest of your calories in the allowed time period. Personally helps if you need to eat out or like to eat big meals. I like to have meals close to 1k in Calories or more so for me it make a hell of a difference.

Best of luck.
  • andrearrollo
    Options

How long have you been doing it? Does it get easier over time? If I fasted until 5, I would be afraid I would be so hungry I would be out of control.

I work at a summer camp with kids all day, so I am just moving all day and don't even think about eating. I have a large coffee every morning, and I usually drink that from 7am-11am..after that if I get hungry I just drink a lot of water. My favorite part about fasting is that it's an 'excuse' for me to stop snacking. I would usually snack all day long with the kids, but since I started this I just tell myself that I'll be able to eat something better later. And what's really interesting is that usually by the time I get home, I'm not even hungry anymore, so I can make better decisions about what I eat.

I've been doing it for almost 2 weeks now. I'm losing about a pound a day...it's amazing. I'm not starving and I feel fine. I'd definitely say it gets easier over time, because your body starts to get in a routine. I think the hardest part about not eating all day is just talking myself out of snacking. But like I said, I just tell myself that if I want that bag of doritos I can eat it when I get home...and then by that time I'm usually over it. I hope this answered your questions!
  • andrearrollo
    Options

Yep just like the other person said, you just pick the times that you are going to fast, and the times you are going to eat. Most people eat for 8 and fast for 16 (including sleeping!) But depending on your will power you can try to fast for longer. Then when it's time for you to eat, you eat your calories within that time frame. Obviously you will be more successful if you eat healthy during that time, but I've read about people who feast and still do okay. I hope this answered your questions!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the whole thread so excuse me if someone's already said this.

Yes its about 500 cals but the food you should eat is no/few carbs. Just go with protein and a little fats. The only carbs you should eat should be vegetables.

If you find you get any headaches, take some salty drink which will help you retain fluids.

Also if you aren't aware of it already you need to know about the fast diet website which has a forum where you can learn all you need to from the long termers over there.

I did it for two months last year but got a bit sick of it ultimately. Be careful not to over indulge on your normal eating days.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hi I did intermittent fasting for about a 6 month period. I dropped a lot of weight and maintained a very low weight, but I got a much better body aesthetic once i started eating 3 meals a day plus snacks. Instead of looking like a lollipop (as my husband called it) I got a nice figure. Intermittent fasting (105 lbs 5'6) eating meals plus snacks (115 lbs, 5'6, nice figure). My workouts remained the same. Currently I eat 5 large meals a day but I'm 4 months pregnant (weight 120 lbs currently). I might do the intermittent fasting again after I give birth.
    Essentially the structure I followed was egg whites and asparagus or a quest bar for breakfast, then dinner of vegetables and some sort of protein with yogurt for dessert.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Never mind... Posted on the wrong thread!!

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Another method called 5:2

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8628-5-2-diet

You eat maintenance 5 days a week and 500 calories 2 days a week (600 for men). Your entire deficit is from 2 days of (strict) dieting. The macros on your 2 fasting days are up to you.

I have to log my maintenance days or I tend to go over board.
  • etaylor704
    etaylor704 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just started IF. 1 week in and I'm really liking it
  • HollieDochertymfp
    HollieDochertymfp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 5:2 approach to intermittent fasting, I have 500 calories 2 days a week and roughly 2000, 5 days a week. I do 3 30 min HIIT work outs a week. I have lost 18lbs in 5-6 weeks, feeling great, the benefits are more than just weight loss. Clear skin, better mood and mental clarity, research also says that it staves off diabetes and altzimers, both of which run in my family and really worry me.... I still have a lot to lose, but I can honestly say this is the first time I have felt in control of my diet and feel this great
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much always done Intermittent Fasting (even before it was considered a diet aid etc). I just never really enjoyed eating breakfast and lunch and liked to eat a lot of food in the evening with my family etc. If I eat in the day I tend to get sluggish and sleepy and strangely have far more energy if I don't eat when I need to get things done and eat of an evening when I'm relaxing. I eat about 3000 cals between 6pm-10pm of a night. I feel full, satisfied, sleep well and all of the food is easily enough to sustain me through the next day without feeling hungry. Tracking macros and calories is also much easier if you eat during a set window. It also teaches good discipline. Just my experience.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Just to add, some people will tell you that you "must eat breakfast" or "you should eat six small meals a day" or "don't eat carbs after 6pm" etc. But I think most of this has been widely disproven and it comes down to personal choice and what suits your lifestyle. What really matters are the overall numbers for the day, ie hitting your personal macro/calorie requirements etc.
  • MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    Just to add, some people will tell you that you "must eat breakfast" or "you should eat six small meals a day" or "don't eat carbs after 6pm" etc. But I think most of this has been widely disproven and it comes down to personal choice and what suits your lifestyle. What really matters are the overall numbers for the day, ie hitting your personal macro/calorie requirements etc.

^ YES! Not everything works for everyone. IF is just another method to help create a calorie deficit.

Also, with IF, there are so many different versions of it! Check out the Intermittent Fasting group for a lot of good info and very knowledgeable people!