Fast food salads

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Seanb_us wrote: »
    There's no grocery store salad bar option here. Making salads the day before is an option, but they go wilt-y too often. Panrea -- there's not one close, but I think of them as carb-y and calorie-y. Good thoughts, though!

Salads you make at home go "wilty".....but the salad made a day or 2 ago at a fast food joint is fresh?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10213266/how-to-keep-my-salad-fresh#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/820452/salad-in-a-jar#latest
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Make the salad part the night before and pack the dressing separate. Newman's Own olive oil and vinegar doesn't require refrigeration. Add nuts and seeds to your salad for crunch and extra protein.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    If there is a sweetgreen near you it is so awesome! All salads all good and super healthy fresh local everything made in store.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/on-the-go/healthy-fast-foods/

Here are some low cal fast food offerings, some of which are salads. Personally, Chipotle makes the best salad.

Romaine (salad), Sofritas, Fajita Veggies, pinto beans, cheese, vinaigrette: 650 calories,
    Romaine (salad), Sofritas, Fajita Veggies, pinto beans, tomato salsa, sour cream: 515 calories
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    All great feedback, thanks!
  • _cdaley
    _cdaley Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Corner Bakery Cafe Size Chopped Salad- 460 cals and SO yummy. Comes with a little roll that is 100 cals, according to their nutrition information.
  • 9thwardchick
    9thwardchick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Fast food salads are prepackaged. They just charge you more because they add processed chicken. You can go to the supermarket and buy salad kits and add your own chicken. Much more affordable and probably better for you. Easy to do the night before. Just try it and see how you feel.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Your local grocery store will sell salad "kits." Just add a protein (usually) and you're good. Look for one with the dressing packet included.

www.google.com/search?q=salad+kits&biw=1278&bih=610&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0CCwQsARqFQoTCOuU5prR78YCFdcXkgod3XMK6g

That is what I do.
    My Publix comes with protein in some of their container salads in the produce section -- usually turkey or ham.

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Chic fil a

Cool wrap and the salads are all good

I get a grilled chicken slamwhich and take to top off

My go to road fast food
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I use a mix of romaine/mesclun/baby spinach and make sure to pack my dressing in a small container and it usually can stay in my fridge for 2 days without wilting. Mason jar salads last too.
    If I'm on the road and have to buy, panera and au bon pain have great salads (and soups). I also love the southwest salad from McDonald's, but typically ask for no chicken because it's that weird texture.
  • gummybears700
    gummybears700 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i usually have the maccas warm grilled chicken salad, it comes in at $8 a serve and 140 cals approx. it's not the most filling meal, but that topped with half a large diet soda and eating barely anything that day, i was pretty halfway through :)
  • ngagne
    ngagne Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have one of those lettuce spinners that I keep mine in. I've had lettuce stay looking & tasting fresh for 2 weeks!
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    That's an Aussie dish or British, I think ... I don't see it here in the U.S. 140 cals sounds way too small for an American portion, too; our salads aren't often much less than 250-300 cals. Maybe it would be good if McD's did bring it here. Cheers.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on what's available near you and what you consider fast food. But why are you limited to fast food and salads? You can call up most restaurants and order something to go too, and it will be ready for pick up 15 minutes later.

Honestly I haven't eaten any fast food salad in over a year. Just not worth the calories to me (except Panera or Chipotle or random mall food court places).
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    So, we have restaurants that are not fast food, yes. But quantifying or guessing at calories and amounts is very difficult to do. Chains like McDonalds make the counting much easier (even though I understand that actual product will vary some).
  • sweetochiken
    sweetochiken Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Make meals in advance. I cook a bunch of seasoned chicken at once, and i freeze it with a side of rice and mixed veggies. Save me time and money. 2 .5 mins in microwave and you have a healthy meal.
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    I know ... with three jobs and a family, it's hard to get that done. Truthfully, 3/5 work days, I do bring lunch. ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    the Asian Chicken and Cashew salad at Wendy's is what I usually get when I'm on a road trip or something.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    It would take me more time to drive and pick up lunch than it would to just make it at home, so I don't really understand the time factor. My salads are made at night and they are never wilted. If that is a problem, separate your lettuce from the other stuff with a layer of a small paper towel to keep the lettuce dry until you're ready to mix it all up.
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    Oh, the time factor is I have an hour at lunchtime that is dedicated only to lunch, but my mornings and evenings are much busier with lots of things going on. A bunch of restaurants within a 5-minute drive. (Really, I should work on getting up an hour earlier .... ;) )